And The Future's....?

In recent games we have been starting with ONE academy product Scottish national.

With one scottish loanee

And one or two Scots on the bench...

Is this our reality now? Is the mini conveyor belt of young talent, developed and sold on u/s..?

How do Livi manage to punch above their weight with a lot more Scots in their team?

Are we resigned to sifting the flotsam & jetsam of lower league footballers across Europe, hoping to unearth a relative pearl every now and then?

16 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

In recent games we have been starting with ONE academy product Scottish national.

With one scottish loanee

Is this our reality now? Is the mini conveyor belt of young talent, developed and sold on u/s..?

How do Livi manage to punch above their weight with a lot more Scots in their team?

Are we resigned to sifting the flotsam & jetsam of lower league footballers across Europe, hoping to unearth a relative pearl every now and then?

Livi are an outlier, there are plenty of bigger teams below them looking up. It happens in football from time to time but it’ll be far from permanent they’ll be there. Yes it would be great if we could emulate them now but it isn’t to say we won’t in the future. 

As for the talent, I don’t see any sign the continued flow is stopping. Cammy Macpherson looking like the next breakout and if Mccalister & Magennis sort their injuries out, no reason they can’t have glittering careers. Erhahon another one with a massive chance to be a big star for the future (still could be at us).

There’s also signs that the academy is still producing at the younger ages with performances in the Challenge cup outstripping almost all other Colt team & Scottish youth team recognition. 

us widening our scouting remit isn’t a bad thing and has proven successful, especially since Gus has came on-board. Best of both worlds for a club at our level right now IMO 

3 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

OK if I call them The Glasgow Strangers? 

Call them by whatever made-up name you like (there is precedent for that) - please just don't use a personal pronoun that might imply that I (or Buddies like me) regard that illegitimate organisation with any hint of friendship.

20 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

With one scottish loanee

I think it is the reality now.

The pool of players available and good enough/ready in Scotland is shrinking. I think this was something the board and manager identified, hence our link up with the company that provides stat resources to players across Europe.

We can certainly try and bring players into our youth set-up, though until they are ready its a bit of a waiting game.

Nick McAllister was a player we picked up from Queens Park in the summer. Hasn't quite made his way into the first team yet though. 

21 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

With one scottish loanee

My biggest fear is , with the threat of relegation hanging over us more often than not in the Premiership,  are we going to see as many young players coming through from the academy? 

With the exception of Cammy McPherson,  there hasn't been many others that have broken into the first team this season. Is the fear factor to blame for this ? 

3 minutes ago, munoz said:

My biggest fear is , with the threat of relegation hanging over us more often than not in the Premiership,  are we going to see as many young players coming through from the academy? 

With the exception of Cammy McPherson,  there hasn't been many others that have broken into the first team this season. Is the fear factor to blame for this ? 

To reply to your question. I think you have a point. Experience is what I think Management have been looking for.