Hooli Hooli Hooligans

shull

I wasn't initially a fan of ultras. I suppose I lamented the fact stadiums had become so sterile that they were required. However now I think they have hugely improved the match day experience and are now an integral part of Scottish football. I'd hate for us to lose ours.

2 hours ago, Dickson said:

Not for me! 

Before I start can I say that both my sons love what W7 does and they admire the single use plastic displays, the incessant singing, dance moves, and the non stop tedium of that fecking drum! I understand why they like it, but for me it's........

I love football, any football. I pay my admission money to watch football. The players are the people I am at a match to see and I struggle to understand the motives of anyone who goes to a football match to bang drums, to try to start singalongs, or who spend most of their time gesticulating at opposition fans and trying to goad them. Because their "atmosphere" isn't responsive to what is happening on the pitch I find it all unbelievably plastic. Against Motherwell at Fir Park in the Scottish Cup they stood up all game, and sung regardless of whether it was 4-1 to St Mirren or 4-4. Last night during an insipid 90 minutes they did the same again. 

Again, I have to say that your problem with the W7 guys is that they got organised, got backing, raised funding and became hugely successful. It's a recurring theme with you. You see successful people, it makes you feel inferior in some way and you lash out.

It's just as utterly pathetic as it is transparent.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Again, I have to say that your problem with the W7 guys is that they got organised, got backing, raised funding and became hugely successful. It's a recurring theme with you. You see successful people, it makes you feel inferior in some way and you lash out.

It's just as utterly pathetic as it is transparent.

No it isn't and no it isn't, it's his opinion, as valid as yours.

Your playing the man rather than the post. 

FWIW there are elements of his post I agree with, the drum does my fecking head in, even on TV matches. :rolleyes:

He mentions his sons enjoy, so he's recognised it has it's support, just not his. 

I enjoy watching a good game of football, I don't feel the need to be part of a separate group, but that's my choice.

7 hours ago, Dickson said:

Not for me! 

Before I start can I say that both my sons love what W7 does and they admire the single use plastic displays, the incessant singing, dance moves, and the non stop tedium of that fecking drum! I understand why they like it, but for me it's just egotistical bollocks from a bunch of people who want their own wee slice of attention. 

I love football, any football. I pay my admission money to watch football. The players are the people I am at a match to see and I struggle to understand the motives of anyone who goes to a football match to bang drums, to try to start singalongs, or who spend most of their time gesticulating at opposition fans and trying to goad them. Because their "atmosphere" isn't responsive to what is happening on the pitch I find it all unbelievably plastic. Against Motherwell at Fir Park in the Scottish Cup they stood up all game, and sung regardless of whether it was 4-1 to St Mirren or 4-4. Last night during an insipid 90 minutes they did the same again. 

I get this view tbh. My personal view is that actions should be mostly pro-St Mirren, rather than anti-Motherwell / Rangers / Celtic / Morton etc. 

That said, there's always been rivalries in football and that will never change. I think the noise and colour is great, and definitely adds to a match day for me.

"Ultras" is pretty much defined as "organised vocal and visual support of your club", so overall I'd say it's a very positive thing and is slowly becoming part of our clubs identity. Especially away from home, as a whole - we've got one of the most vocal supports in the country (the numbers we travel in are also very impressive) fans of other clubs often comment that they wish they had something similar at their club. I think what's good is that we've got a good connection between our wider fan base and our "ultras", so quite often in the last few seasons the whole stand has been bouncing

Edited by Doakes

Most matches I go to, I’m across the pitch in the Stand.  I really don’t mind at all - and I feel sure the players respond positively.  Managers and players have said so, publicly.

I’ve stood up the back of them for one game.  It’s great, engaging and fun.

the Fort Wullie ultras thing is a great twitter thread.  :)

I first thought it was a cool joke by their chairman when I read it...  so many people taking it seriously😂

Edited by antrin

11 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Exactly. 

Quite why Oaksoft would fear my opinion enough to want to play the man, when I've stated quite clearly that even in my own family I am outvoted 2-1 is beyond me. 

I just find the whole thing rather manufactured and a bit strange. To me it's the match day equivalent of watching a football match on the telly with the sound off, whilst singing and doing the actions to the Singing Kettle or Black Lace. 

https://youtu.be/POv-3yIPSWc

How the feck do you know that's what I do? 😉

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

No it isn't and no it isn't, it's his opinion, as valid as yours.

Your playing the man rather than the post. 

FWIW there are elements of his post I agree with, the drum does my fecking head in, even on TV matches. :rolleyes:

He mentions his sons enjoy, so he's recognised it has it's support, just not his. 

I enjoy watching a good game of football, I don't feel the need to be part of a separate group, but that's my choice.

I would take that from almost anyone else but you. :lol:

I hate the drum, whether its our fans or anyone elses. It gives me a bloody headache. But W7 in general does add a bit of atmosphere in a ground where it's mostly sadly lacking. We Saints fans (at least the auld yins like me) are a miserable bunch most match days.

Edited by saint in exile
I cannae spell!!!!

13 hours ago, Dickson said:

Not for me! 

Before I start can I say that both my sons love what W7 does and they admire the single use plastic displays, the incessant singing, dance moves, and the non stop tedium of that fecking drum! I understand why they like it, but for me it's just egotistical bollocks from a bunch of people who want their own wee slice of attention. 

That’s fair enough, we all have our opinions on this.

Personally I’m on the opposite end of the spectrum to you - when I go to a game (rare, I know 🙄) yes I’m going to see the Saints and want them to win, but I’m also there to enjoy myself and have a good day out. I love that aspect of the game, when the fans are singing and making themselves heard. The drum can enhance that side of the experience too. The one thing I fully agree with you on is the goading of opposition fans - there’s no need for it. Most of them are the exact same as us, they support their local sides and I have plenty of respect for a fan who pays to watch a team due to locality instead of success (even M*rt*n fans). The only fans I couldn’t give a shite about would be the green bigots and the zombies.

If I was a player, and I was being offered the exact same wage by two clubs on a very similar level with similar success, and one club had a W7 type atmosphere and the other had a Main Stand atmosphere, I’d be joining the W7 sort. Each to their own though!

2 hours ago, Dickson said:

Surely you would consider things like whether you liked the manager and the coaches or not, how you saw your playing style fitting in with the managers ethos and the current players at the club, relationships or friendships with any of the current squad, and the location - where you were going to live - local schools etc, would feature more in your decision than whether or not a bunch of wee boys were banging a drum and busting some shapes 

I think, and I'm just taking a punt here, that @Cornwall_Saint would probably considered most of the above ALONG with his point, ya dafty.

The fact he cannie kick his arse makes it all rather pointless TBH. :wink:

(sets the bait, waits on a nibble :rolleyes:)

Personally, I go along for the Live atmosphere of BEING at the match. Two sets of noisy fans are part of that and our W7 Guys lead the way on our side. Without the noise and colour the game loses much of its appeal. Without this you might as well settle for second best and watch it on TV, imo. 

4 hours ago, Dickson said:

Surely you would consider things like whether you liked the manager and the coaches or not, how you saw your playing style fitting in with the managers ethos and the current players at the club, relationships or friendships with any of the current squad, and the location - where you were going to live - local schools etc, would feature more in your decision than whether or not a bunch of wee boys were banging a drum and busting some shapes 

Ffs, way to take it completely out of context 😂

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I think, and I'm just taking a punt here, that @Cornwall_Saint would probably considered most of the above ALONG with his point, ya dafty.

The fact he cannie kick his arse makes it all rather pointless TBH. :wink:

(sets the bait, waits on a nibble :rolleyes:)

Don’t need to be able to kick anything when you play as a keeper at Monday night six-a-side League 😉

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I sincerely hope the young lad Magennis that organises this lot does not have a job!!!!!!!  If he does then he needs a boot in the arse.

Let me explain.

Between selling hats, organising parades, booking out venues for pre-match events and whatever else these young scamps get up to they do it very well.  If this young lad does all that so successfully then turns up at a workplace on a Monday morning then he is wasting his life.

The young lad, although boisterous and outspoken at times is clearly talented.  Having successfully organised and achieved what he has then he surely should have a business of some sort.  This lad has what it takes to make a success of himself.  People like him have no business working for others.  

2 hours ago, shull said:

This was mentioned to me yesterday. I absolutely love the noise and colour that groups of young people are bringing to games but I totally abhor any incitement to misbehave in or on the way to or from grounds. 

This was mentioned to me yesterday. I absolutely love the noise and colour that groups of young people are bringing to games but I totally abhor any incitement to misbehave in or on the way to or from grounds. 

What about when you made sexual comments regarding female officials. Is that OK?