IF remaining games are played behind doors (solution)

1 hour ago, DougJamie said:

I think we have to follow suit, but not unprecedented if we don't....

Remember 97 when we didn't cancel the WC game re Diana's death 

The 97 stramash was entirely different.

A woman dying in a car accident doesn't impact upon the health of everyone else.

Shame that Scotland HAS had to follow suit.  It should have led. 

Sturgeon's "no crowds over 500, starting any time after Sunday's OF game" was the blatantly obvious (but not the brightest) move.

3 hours ago, Lord Pityme said:

With players now testing positive (same old, same old) then the likelihood is the season will be halted early as even closed doors games, with players all over each other at set pieces etc.. is a risk.

With that in mind I would go for cancelling the league cup next season, maybe starting a wee bit early with Summer football, then completing the games, pull the winter break forward to September and start the 20/21 season then.

Any thoughts?

I'm being completely serious, here... and NOT only thinking of the fake clumpany... that I fear some clubs may have gone out of business by then.  :(

46 minutes ago, Danny said:

I heard that in July there will be thousands of orangemen stuck at home dressed in full regalia marching on a treadmill and yelling "Alexa play the Sash" 😍

That's where they should remain, permanently. 

The facts are , they have no clue when this will peak, so it could go on all year...…… the panic button has been pressed over a virus that has about 0.00000001% mortality compared to Flu and other common viruses...………...

Wiped trillions off companies and pensions...…………… Boris called it right- Trump and Italy called it wrong

Doesn't this make a complete mockery of Johnson's post Cobra speech yesterday? Didn't they make a big song and dance about the fact that in England they weren't planning to postpone sporting events yet? Confused.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with the decision, but doesn't it fly in the face of all the shite he spouted yesterday?

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Doesn't this make a complete mockery of Johnson's post Cobra speech yesterday? Didn't they make a big song and dance about the fact that in England they weren't planning to postpone sporting events yet? Confused.

Not saying I necessarily disagree with the decision, but doesn't it fly in the face of all the shite he spouted yesterday?

It's almost like the guy is a f**king idiot 

The facts are , they have no clue when this will peak, so it could go on all year...…… the panic button has been pressed over a virus that has about 0.00000001% mortality compared to Flu and other common viruses...………...
Wiped trillions off companies and pensions...…………… Boris called it right- Trump and Italy called it wrong

DJ get real ffs. The death rate is estimated by The WHO to be about 6%. If 10 million people in the UK contract it you are looking at about 600000 deaths!!

1 minute ago, cambiebud said:

DJ get real ffs. The death rate is estimated by The WHO to be about 6%. If 10 million people in the UK contract it you are looking at about 600000 deaths!!

Ok show me that evidence and I will take on board

How did WHO get 6% , and how will 10 million contract it. That's just fantasy , we had the same with SARs BUT FAR LESS OF A MEDIA/INTERNET PRESENCE

FACT- China is the most densely populated place on the plate---- 1.5 Billion 3, 300 deaths which is 0.0000022‬ %, and its contained, reducing

I will stick to facts you can stick to fake news , this crap is costing far more than panic to the poor and needy

So Boris was right and is simple maths...…………..

Flu is still far more dangerous yet ignored, as is Cancer

1 minute ago, cambiebud said:

Is it? 

Many people were alarmed, then, when the World Health Organization announced in March that COVID-19 has killed 3.4% of the people who have caught it so far

Also, 10 million in the uk would be almost 15%, whereas we are currently sitting at .001%.

THAT would be a bigger increase than ANY country in the world.

What makes you think the UK would hit them numbers? Italy has the biggest percentage currently sitting at .02%

Different ways to slice and dice statistics. Not sure where you are getting your 6% from. See below,
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-rate/

Thanks for that. Still 3.4 % is a not inconsiderable number. I did not say that 10 million people would contract the virus. The point I was clumsily trying to make was that if this takes off as it has in Italy, the health service will be swamped. Closing down theatres, football stadiums etc seems a small price to pay to at least try to contain the outbreak

37 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

Thanks for that. Still 3.4 % is a not inconsiderable number. I did not say that 10 million people would contract the virus. The point I was clumsily trying to make was that if this takes off as it has in Italy, the health service will be swamped. Closing down theatres, football stadiums etc seems a small price to pay to at least try to contain the outbreak

Cam- I think you will find we heard a lot of big numbers re MadCow and SARS, I am not saying we don't have a situation, and I am will be working from home indefinitely but its an overreaction and its too soon...………

Its irresponsible of WHO and certain govs to be so jumpy, this will harm the world , less money. less help, as they say all non essential appts cancelled, so a lot of pain.

We have a lot of clever people that should be working on this, and its basic hygiene, which again is easy to say in the UK but not  quite so easy in a dustbowl in DMR ...

Aye, mortality rate is fairly low- but the big issue is of the impact on the underfunded NHS. They won’t be able to cope if everyone catches it all at once- we need to slow it down. Expect to catch it at some point and if you have a problem with your lungs- then self isolate

If the league is suspended for a time we may be able to play the remaining 3 games of pre split fixtures before contracts expire at the end of May. This would enable everyone to have at least played everyone else 3 times and would be a fair point to stop if we run out of time (as is likely) to complete the season. Then no club can complain that they didn’t get a fair crack at the league, as will no doubt happen if it stops now

Govt estimates 300,000 to 500,000 deaths.
Yesterday the govt estimated there were actually 5000 - 10000 people infected.
That basically doubles every day!

If the league is suspended for a time we may be able to play the remaining 3 games of pre split fixtures before contracts expire at the end of May. This would enable everyone to have at least played everyone else 3 times and would be a fair point to stop if we run out of time (as is likely) to complete the season. Then no club can complain that they didn’t get a fair crack at the league, as will no doubt happen if it stops now
Footballers haven't got anywhere else to go. They will accept short contract extensions. If this season is to he completed.
They'll have 2-3 months off now. So a mini break between 19/20 and 20/21 seasons with no winter break.

12 minutes ago, friskysteed said:

Aye, mortality rate is fairly low- but the big issue is of the impact on the underfunded NHS. They won’t be able to cope if everyone catches it all at once- we need to slow it down. Expect to catch it at some point and if you have a problem with your lungs- then self isolate

The government have been keeping an aye on the rate that it's spreading for that reason, they can't stop the spread, they are trying to slow it down to reduce the pressure on the NHS.

Quite why you say that DJ, or in fact the majority, will catch it is wild speculation. 

32 minutes ago, Lord Pityme said:

Govt estimates 300,000 to 500,000 deaths.
Yesterday the govt estimated there were actually 5000 - 10000 people infected.
That basically doubles every day!

Isn't it funny how Boris is roundly thought of as a diddy yet you lap it up when he comes out with this wildly speculative figure.  .

Considering we're  sitting on 11 deaths and under 800 cases I'll take your money that we don't reach anywhere close to 300,000 - 500,000 deaths. 

Also this mince about doubling every day.......................you need to go back to school for basic arithmatic. 

One week ago, on March 5, the total number of cases stood at 115. Thursday's total of 590 is more than five times greater than the equivalent figure one week ago.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Quite why you say that DJ, or in fact the majority, will catch it is wild speculation. 

I don't think so.

I heard an epidemiologist talking about it, last night.  He was sure that (against your not unreasonable expectation) there will be positive results for humanity when the virus slowly but surely infects the majority of us(he was speaking in a UK context).  The majority will get it, suffer a bit then recover - and thus there will be antibodies throughout society so that further epidemics of the same or similar virus will be much less potentially damaging.

So...

The BIG job currently is to keep its spread rate as slow as possible so that our limited resources can be deployed to help the old/infirm in society, rather than to have a splurge of all people all making demands on the system at the same time. 

It would collapse.

2 minutes ago, antrin said:

I don't think so.

I heard an epidemiologist talking about it, last night.  He was sure that (against your not unreasonable expectation) there will be positive results for humanity when the virus slowly but surely infects the majority of us(he was speaking in a UK context).  The majority will get it, suffer a bit then recover - and thus there will be antibodies throughout society so that further epidemics of the same or similar virus will be much less potentially damaging.

So...

The BIG job currently is to keep its spread rate as slow as possible so that our limited resources can be deployed to help the old/infirm in society, rather than to have a splurge of all people all making demands on the system at the same time. 

It would collapse.

Aye, I covered that. 

13 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The government have been keeping an aye on the rate that it's spreading for that reason, they can't stop the spread, they are trying to slow it down to reduce the pressure on the NHS.

Edited by faraway saint

4 hours ago, antrin said:

The 97 stramash was entirely different.

A woman dying in a car accident doesn't impact upon the health of everyone else.

Shame that Scotland HAS had to follow suit.  It should have led. 

Sturgeon's "no crowds over 500, starting any time after Sunday's OF game" was the blatantly obvious (but not the brightest) move.

Surprised at you antrin .

1 hour ago, antrin said:

I don't think so.

This type of statement is typical of the scaremongering.

With no time limit on this it has a decent chance of being correct but it suggest, and will be taken by many, that this will happen in the very near future.

Through time, yes, there will be more people infected and build up resistance so future outbreaks won't be as widespread.

PS I realise you are just adding this information it wasn't your thoughts. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

This type of statement is typical of the scaremongering.

With no time limit on this it has a decent chance of being correct but it suggest, and will be taken by many, that this will happen in the very near future.

Through time, yes, there will be more people infected and build up resistance so future outbreaks won't be as widespread.

PS I realise you are just adding this information it wasn't your thoughts. 

Be reasonable.  There is no scaremongering.  This was just an expert offering his expert opinion.

There is nowhere in what I wrote suggesting it will happen in any near future

But..  It WILL happen.

There will be deaths, (as with flu there always are deaths), but there is an upside.