Community Support

St.Ricky

26 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Good thread - it's perhaps indicative of the selfish nature that seems to be perpetuating  the forum at the moment that you seem to be the only person posting in here Ricky. 

Two stories to add to yours today. The first one is me displaying my parental pride. My son works in Glasgow and he usually goes to Sainsbury's to buy stuff for his lunch. Anyway Sainsbury's was heaving and he just wanted some milk so he stepped into a small convenience store close by. He got chatting to the owner and she told him that he was her first customer of the day and that she was worried because if things carried on the way they were she wouldn't last two more weeks. It seems that in their panic many people are heading to supermarkets and forgetting their local shops. Anyway my son noticed that the store had a large number of hand gels on display so he's gone home and created some posters for the lady to put up in her shop window tomorrow to try to help drive some extra business in for her. It might not work but I'm chuffed at him for trying to help. 

Second story is about the estate where I live. There are two Facebook Groups that are for residents only and normally it's full of pictures of sheep that have wandered into peoples gardens from the farm next door, pictures of dog owners who haven't picked up their dog shit, or posts telling people to pick up their rubbish after the wind has blown all the bins over again. However recently it's become far more pleasant to read. There have been a number of offers of help for those who are self isolating, and last night - after it was announced that the local Iceland store would open 2 hours early for elderly people to get their shopping - a local taxi firm posted to say they had several taxis ready to pick pensioners up to ferry them back and forward to the store for free to take advantage. 

it would be nice to see more evidence of community spirit - rather than the news stories showing people fighting over toilet paper at Asda. 

Well done your lad. 

40 minutes ago, Fricky_Bellend said:

Aye, maybe watch someone panic buy in Waitrose & join the queue & pay for their shopping ?

My regular Early Sunday Waitrose wander was disrupted by strangers/ravening locusts, at the weekend.

It opens 10.30am, but you can’t  pay till 11.00am.  Usually a slow, relaxed, calm, spacious, easy affair...

it was mayhem.

i had to queue at 10.45 just to get into the car park and squeezed into a final slot. 

by the time I’d got my few bits, I was was fifth trolley in a check out line!  Compared with others, my trolley marked me out as anorexic/bulimic/constipated/frugal/ascetic...

Trolleys were insanely, brutally stacked with everything conceivable.  To excess.

by the time I paid, the trolley queue was 8 trolleys long.

One upside was that the food bank box was more full than ever.

i usually get a few things on Tuesday mornings, too, never lucky enough to have a beneficent stranger pick up the tab, though...

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

My regular Early Sunday Waitrose wander was disrupted by strangers/ravening locusts, at the weekend.

It opens 10.30am, but you can’t  pay till 11.00am.  Usually a slow, relaxed, calm, spacious, easy affair...

it was mayhem.

i had to queue at 10.45 just to get into the car park and squeezed into a final slot. 

by the time I’d got my few bits, I was was fifth trolley in a check out line!  Compared with others, my trolley marked me out as anorexic/bulimic/constipated/frugal/ascetic...

Trolleys were insanely, brutally stacked with everything conceivable.  To excess.

by the time I paid, the trolley queue was 8 trolleys long.

One upside was that the food bank box was more full than ever.

i usually get a few things on Tuesday mornings, too, never lucky enough to have a beneficent stranger pick up the tab, though...

Dear Dear. Not at all Waitrose customer behaviour. Are you sure you weren't at Tesco by mistake. 

Sorry I wasn't there to pick up your tab. 

Joking aside, I’m near Bathgate & it’s been a manic few days for shoppers.

Today, seems somewhat ‘normal’

I hope the foodbank donations continue as when we do collections at the stadium they are usually very successful

Bigger picture like you say, but ultimately, there is no shortage in the supply chain, people should shop as they normally would

36 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Dear Dear. Not at all Waitrose customer behaviour. Are you sure you weren't at Tesco by mistake. 

Sorry I wasn't there to pick up your tab. 

Get yer skates on Ricky!

I'm just about to head out now!

(in time to ferret through the reduced items.... )

ps I’ll be the handsome follicly-challenged guy wearing a St Mirren woolly bunnet.

Edited by antrin

21 minutes ago, antrin said:

Get yer skates on Ricky!

I'm just about to head out now!

(in time to ferret through the reduced items.... )

ps I’ll be the handsome follicly-challenged guy wearing a St Mirren woolly bunnet.

I've been locked down! (I know there are those who think that locked up is a better alternative). My family won't let me leave the house! 

9 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:

Are you?  Are you Dicko?

Maybe it wasn't, but the fact that he never clarified or retracted the statement when these things were pointed out to him speaks volumes.  The furthest he went, and it was months later, was "I never said that", not even an explanation of what he did mean, just a denial.

So, basically, I never brought it up, he did, long ago.  I do, however, think that it's important to remind/inform folk of the type of person that they are dealing with, so I won't be giving it a rest.

Wrong thread ya Muppet. 😂😂😂

Losing the plot with anger? 😉

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I've been locked down! (I know there are those who think that locked up is a better alternative). My family won't let me leave the house! 

It’s been decades since I had. Dizzy...   :(

(dunno if weans nooadays wid ken what a Dizzy is...  :unsure:  )

I lingered long, Ricky.  Had to dent my own CC.

NAE BUMF, NAE PARACETAMOL, STILL PANIC SHOPPERS.

On a Tuesday morning, bifuc!  :o

Got everything in my shopping with a few relevant substitutions. The only thing missing was self raising flour. I got my hand soap, toilet paper etc without any fuss. 

So much for shortages eh? 

I got asked to leave Waitrose, admittedly I’ve been here a week with a trolley load hoping someone might pay for my shopping, didn’t happen.

I think they realised because I made the mistake of buying frozen food & the tannoy saying ‘Wet spill isle one’ every twenty minutes [emoji2]

I thought about using my panic buy loo roll to mop up the water, but might of drawn some attention [emoji2]