So What Ticks Your Box?

So the current trend for footballers running onto the park is to kiss their wrist, touch the grass or carry out some semi-religious chest crossing exercise that probably has nothing to do with religion, but has a lot to do with superstition.

So it got me thinking am I superstitious and yes is the answer, in some parts of my life.

I don't walk under ladders, I always at least acknowledge Friday the 13th,  I always try and use the same ball marker every time I play golf and...………………… I wear black & white boxer shorts whenever Saints are playing! :whistle

The last item is of course if I remember, as the mid-week games sometimes catch me out and they are substituted with some other colour, and amazingly Saints don't get a result on that day. Mind you Saints don't get a result on quite a few days, even if I've donned the requisite multi-coloured pants, but that is part of being a Buddie and accepting that every game isn't winnable!

Of course I've worn them at Hampden Park and they worked, but I also wore them when we didn't get a result against 9 men, but that's life I'm afraid and I didn't blame the pants!!

So what ticks your Box?

Why on earth is this in General Nonsense?!??!?  :o

It makes as much (if not more) sense as many subjects in General St Mirren Discussion.

And I can't think of any superstition I indulge.  Really.  I'd never considered this before... I agree with Slarti in his non-superstitions...

If one occurs to me I'll update.

Good question.

:)

I can't think of a single superstition which either sends a chill down my spine or compels me to act in some way.

Quite the opposite I actually like walking under ladders, putting umbrellas.

My favourite habit is to indulge in what others call "tempting fate". For example at the end of my employment days, I used to go into job interviews with the mindset that I was there to help them out, the job was already mine and that I was interviewing them. Making jokes about getting cancer is another one. It'll get me or it won't get me and me talking and joking about it won't alter any probability rates either way. The line between confidence and arrogance is fascinating.

Actually I think that not wanting to "tempt fate" is at the root of a lot of cases where people lack confidence. It's a hugely damaging and very negative attitude. I'm trying to think of a more seriously damaging superstition but I can't recall one at the moment.

Edited by oaksoft