Saints For Champions League Under Hendrie

Guest saintsrock

Guest saintsrock

St mirren will be playing champions league football within five years under hendrie. Is two and a half years enough time to change a team heading for the second division into a premier league team? I think not. Bone was given a seven year plan

to change st mirren into a good team and what did he do? DID HE WIN THE LEAGUE? Given time we will get back to the premier and i can see us finishing second in the premier within five years.

Guest Jonny Rep
Div, how many ANTI-HENDRIE ones are there? He can start as many as he wants for all I care.

Frankly this place has gone NUTS in the last few hours...you'll be getting out the goddamn pitchforks next I swear to God... :angry:

Why are the St Johnstone fan's coming back online again :lol:

Div, how many ANTI-HENDRIE ones are there? He can start as many as he wants for all I care.

Frankly this place has gone NUTS in the last few hours...you'll be getting out the goddamn pitchforks next I swear to God... :angry:

Aye - fair do's - I'm sure that blackandwhitearmy.com was being referenced on Scotsport so I'm guessing that's where the "rumour" came from. Maybe I should stop speaking to Taxi drivers......

The pitchforks is a decent idea as well - maybe we could torch the main stand and hang hendrie from the goalposts :blink:

Ok - I think I've taken that too far....... :P

Saintsrock - that is ancient history.

But last week certainly isn't! And I ask those who are utterly convinced of Hendrie leaving being the asnwer one question - can you be sure, absolutely 100% certain that a new manager is a guaranteed solution to our problems?

There is a huge risk attached with this move, even if we can take it. We may end up only papering over the huge cracks down the side. Be honest - how long will it take before a new manager gets the same sort of treatment if instantaneous improvement is not attained? This move, if taken is a massive MASSIVE gamble.

What happens if no improvment is made? Are we gonnae clear out the whole team - the whole team that but a short week ago, people were hailing as a side capable of winning the league?!

It has NEVER been as black, nor as white in my opinion. As utterly idiotic as the idea might sound to you all - Hendrie has to be given time before any decision is taken. We are 5 games into a league campaign - a league campaign which we never realisitcally had a chance of winning - people rubbished me for saying we needed to consolidate and we'd be aiming for a top 3 slot, now seemingly the term "consolidation" is all the rage?!

I'm sorry, but not even 9 goals in two games change things so rapidly. Sure there's a sh*tload of work to do, on and off the park - but my god we can't afford to think that solivng the face in charge of the derssing room is the panacea solution.

And if you lot think it is that changing the manager will solve every problem, then I really do fear for the whole situation... :ph34r:

Fact is mate that we can't change the players so the only sensible option to turn things around is to change the tactics - since the current manager seems incapable of that then the only logical step is to replace him.

Tom Hendrie cheated the St.Mirren support yesterday - he left out two centre halves and then blamed the lack of available centre halves for our defeat - er go - it was his fault and he needs to pay the price for cheating the clubs customers.

I don't mind losing - but I won't and can't sit and watch the team slip into the second division. To me the massive gamble is giving him more time - as the longer we leave it the longer his arrogance will continue to hurt us and we will end up in the second division.

Replacing him isn't a gamble - the worst that can happen this season is that we get relegated - if Hendrie persists in his petty feuds then he will take us down anyway - I would have a better chance myself of keeping saints up - it isn't rocket science.

Fine Div - if you and your League of Gentlemen genuinely think it's that desperate then on you go, I ain't stopping you.

But see if we get a win at Cappielow and the same people who gave all the plaudits to the team in the world last Saturday, and all the abuse to Hendrie this week, start changing their minds yet again, you know what the score will be - I will be one very pissed off SMFC fan, at my fellow fans for being as fickle as a the Scottish Weather... :ph34r:

Guest Jonny Rep
And if you lot think it is that changing the manager will solve every problem, then I really do fear for the whole situation... :ph34r:

I agree but it might get the dressing room in harmony and players enjoying themselves again. For me we've had too many dictators, we need a good man-manager, like and forgive me for this an Ian McCall. A Player's type manager again. I think Walter Smith would do this, but I don't think we could get him.

I'll be at Cappielow backing the team as usual - and I hope that we might be good enough to beat a third division team - but it won't change my mind - Hendrie must go and he must go now.

There is a school of thought I saw someone mention earlier - which was of the opinion that losing in Greenock mightn't be a terrible thing as it will at least bring things to a head.

But I'd rather not subscribe to that theory - I say again - Hendrie cheated the fans yesterday - Jamie McGowan was not injured - a very good source told me that fact - he was just a victim of a Hendrie petty feud.

That is why he should be sacked - that is enough.

Guest Jonny Rep
Fine Div - if you and your League of Gentlemen genuinely think it's that desperate then on you go, I ain't stopping you.

I think it is that desperate, TH ego has got too big. John Coughlin was on the verge of walking out last year because of it.

Even if we get promoted, I still want Hendrie out as he's not the man for the job.

div u were singing the praises of hendrie last week but now u have changed ur mind, is it because you have finally realised that the team built by hendrie is utter sh1te and a total embarrassment.

What happened to the great homecoming of hugh murray, does he just ponce about like i said.

I know its a long way away but when we play you in the penultimate game of the season i hope we relegate you.

Guest saintsrock

so are we saying that the manager has to pander to silly wee boys who take the huff when he shouts at them? Some of them should start growing up and acting like professionals and start winning games. i'm not convinced by theory that mcgowan was left out because he was arguing with hendrie. I think the injury prone twat was probably injured again but if he was then i applaud hendrie. Do you think that Alex Ferguson would give into his players whinging? Even Roy Keane daren't argue with him.

Guest saint hits the net

T.L - Even if Saints win at Cappielow on Saturday it's unlikely to stop the downward trend of the previous thirteen months.Morale is rock bottom and it will take much more than a cup win at the weekend to turn Saints around. Have you thought about the consequences should we fail to perform adequately in the forthcoming - say - six games. How long are you prepared to give Tom Hendrie ? Surely it's makes sense to terminate his contract now - no matter the cost - rather than take a chance on him turning the club around - because if he fails and we're relegated (god forbid) then I think we'll be a part time second rate team for years to come.

I believe Hendrie's must shoulder most of the blame.When we were fighting relegation in the Premier League his attitude was positive - always believing we could and would survive in the top flight. It was a different story after we went down though. All we heard was "the fans mustn't expect too much, it's going to be difficult - etc. Surely that pessimistic attitude had to have an effect on the players ?

When Saints were relegated back in 92, we lost some good players yet still had an outside chance of promotion the following season when Killie pipped us with about two weeks of the campaign left. Hendrie kept most of his squad when we were relegated from the Premier and yet we almost dropped down another division. What makes it worse is that ,in my opinion,

the first division was there for the taking (Partick proved that) and we blew it.

As for a manager, I think Sandy Clark could get more out of the current bunch than Hendrie and his track record of youth development is pretty decent....

I'll admit that I used to back TH all the way but the games against

St Johnstone, Falkirk and yesterday have convinced me that we are

on a downward spiral. There is something wrong at Love Street and

at the moment the players don't seem to give a f*ck.

The saying goes that its players that get managers the sack and the

team's performances are taking TH well down that road just now.

What is our record in competitive games over the past two seasons

and the start of this one ? Not good reading I would suggest.

:(

T.L - Even if Saints win at Cappielow on Saturday it's unlikely to stop the downward trend of the previous thirteen months.Morale is rock bottom and it will take much more than a cup win at the weekend to turn Saints around. Have you thought about the consequences should we fail to perform adequately in the forthcoming - say - six games. How long are you prepared to give Tom Hendrie ? Surely it's makes sense to terminate his contract now - no matter the cost - rather than take a chance on him turning the club around - because if he fails and we're relegated (god forbid) then I think we'll be a part time second rate team for years to come.

I'll admit that I used to back TH all the way but the games against

St Johnstone, Falkirk and yesterday have convinced me that we are

on a downward spiral. There is something wrong at Love Street and

at the moment the players don't seem to give a f*ck.

The saying goes that its players that get managers the sack and the

team's performances are taking TH well down that road just now.

What is our record in competitive games over the past two seasons

and the start of this one ? Not good reading I would suggest.

The players don't give a f*ck then Dare? The same players that came back from going behind 3 times even last Tuesday night and who only lost another 2 goals in the last few minutes of the game - the same players who worked like hell to try and get a last-gasp winner after losing a 2 goal lead - the same players who went back to 1-1 and down to 10 men and then went on to win 3-1 against Alloa, and the same players who went a goal down against Ross County in Dingwall, to come back with an equaliser, and win it on a penalty shootout without a single miss! What more do you want from these guys for pity's sake?!

I don't think the spirit of the players can even come into question - on Saturday we had a defensive horror show, and after going 3-0 down after 25 mins, there's no team (certainly not in this league anyway) that could come back, of course the players got despondant after that, but my God any side would! The problems are purely the defensive and midfield selection and organisation - yes Hendrie has to shoulder some of the blame for that, but as Buddy has said - any 3 defenders we could have chosen would have been ripped apart in the game as it turned out.

On Saint Hits the Net's quote above - I didn't say it would or wouldn't be enough - all I am saying is if the same two-faced people who give sh*t to Hendrie now, who also gave the team all the plaudits in the world after Dingwall and Clyde change what they're saying again, then I'll be f*cked off as hell - lay in the beds you've made is all I'm saying!

As far as I'm concerned - it's up to the people who want Hendrie now out to prove that sacking him is definitely the answer to our problems to prove as such not for me to say otherwise simply because there's more people who think he should be sacked than otherwise, and sorry - I'm not entirely convinced that it is the answer even with the arguments about the tactics, and team selection. Sure, Tom Hendrie makes a lot of mistakes - who doesn't? Do me a favour and put me in the same boat as Buddy - TH is obviously being given time by the board to change things round, his attitude and methods of motivation etc - if you lot aren't prepared to do the same, and go with what the board say (they'll have all the financial knowledge at their disposal as opposed to the rumour and conjecture on this or any forum), then really I'm seeing what I thought I'd never see - the very people who told us all to stick with it in the darkest days of last season (even that seems worse than THIS scenario - after all, being 5 frickin' league games in?!) lose the concept of Keeping The Faith... :ph34r:

Hendrie has had his chance, he should have been out after the Falkirk game last season. People who say we want him out on the basis of the 5 league games this season and Tuesday night's defeat have got it totally wrong. From about November last season it was clear he'd lost the plot, and it was enough for many people, including myself. It seems in the last week it has hit home to a lot of people who weren;t sure before.

I've got a good feeling the Jamie McGowan stuff is true, and I doubt it's the first time it's happened. When McGowan was subbed in the 5-1 game against Falkirk last season, whilst the inept Baltacha remained, he stormed down the tunnel and clearly wasn't injuried.

Guest saint hits the net
TH is obviously being given time by the board to change things round, his attitude and methods of motivation etc - if you lot aren't prepared to do the same, and go with what the board say (they'll have all the financial knowledge at their disposal as opposed to the rumour and conjecture on this or any forum), then really I'm seeing what I thought I'd never see - the very people who told us all to stick with it in the darkest days of last season (even that seems worse than THIS scenario - after all, being 5 frickin' league games in?!) lose the concept of Keeping The Faith...  

Five games into the season T.L - hardly - throw in season 2001-2002 and you'll have a clearer picture as to why the "Hendrie must go" bandwagon is gathering momentum on these pages. Take last season for example, with the experience gained in playing at a higher level in the Premier League, we should have been murdering teams like Arbroath, Ross County, Clyde and dare I say Partick - in the same way Falkirk are winning this term - and they were garbage last season.As I've said previously, Hendrie's attitude seemed to be all wrong from the beginning of August last year - blamin the players, supporters, referees, the opposition for scoring - christ, I'm surprised that he didn't blame it on the boogie.

I think comparisons can be drawn from the success of both Alex Smith and Tom Hendrie. Smith entered season 87-88 still on a high from his Scottish Cup success and began mouthing off about qualifying for Europe, making St Mirren a force again, expecting home attendances of 12,000 and upwards. Did he believe the hype ? Possibly, because we just escaped relegation by the skin of our teeth and had it not been for a smash and grab 1-0 win at Tynecastle in the penultimate game of that season where a Paul Chalmers 74th minute goal ended Heart's year long unbeaten home record, otherwise we would certainly have been relegated. Saints would not have achieved a stunning result like that in such a crucial heart-stopping game (and that's not meant as a pun- you had to be there) if Smith had still been at the helm. That's why it was the correct decision by the board to sack Smith when they did.

Tom Hendrie is in a similar position. Having won the first division title he probably expected to survive in the Premier League but unfortunately Saints came on to form just too late and, as we all know, went down.Some of us expected that outcome but we certainly were not prepared for a relegation battle the following season. On that occasion we just survived but it doesn't seem - just like Smith - that Hendrie can change the situation. It could also be argued that although Hendrie has been starved of funds for adding to his squad, the difference between a side having just played at the top level in Scottish football should have been sufficient enough to see St Mirren making a serious challenge for the title last season. The St Mirren board didn't give Smith the benefit of the doubt back then. They have though given Tom Hendrie another chance when many clubs would have dismissed their manager for similar performances. How many more opprtunities should he get T.L and can we afford to wait just in the hope that the situation improves. The Second Division awaits the answer.....