Regale your stories

41 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Fed up reading about *that thing*

Anyone got any stories? Anything goes. Weird/crazy things that happened on an away day, missing a bus home, missed your wedding due to celebrating a trophy win?

Regale! :ph34r:

Too many, but I remember being the token white man in Polokwane International Airport when a class of young black kids came in with their teacher. She asked me to have my photograph taken with each one. I was a celebrity for 30 minutes. 

1989, went to Berwick for the league cup game, think it was a Tuesday night with the knox st bus, hadn't been feeling to great before it. Got to the ground, started throwing up all over the place. Got taken to hospital. Supporters bus picked me up from the hospital. Got back to paisley in the early hours. Then spent the next few days ill in bed.

The end

2 offerings.

1) As a wee boy, we sometimes went to Glasgow Airport in the days you could walk out the gantry style roof & watch the planes coming and going.

There were seating areas on it and usual things tables & bins etc.

Anyway I was walking backward while watching the planes and fell in and got wedged in one of the large circular concrete bins, soaking wet from whatever was in the bin on a dry sunny day, wasn’t my finest moment.

2) Scottish Cup Final 87 - Had been collecting all the newspaper cuttings & pictures from each round, made a wee Saints hat for the day , the day arrives happy days.

Except, at 18 years old decided to get 6 cans of Breaker for my liquid breakfast/lunch.

Got the train ‘special’ from Paisley/ Glasgow ( now pished ) don’t remember anything other than waking up in extra time Ferguson scored. Got in Hampden ok ( now idea how ) missed whole game.

I do however remember the town that night from my bus stop roof view opposite town hall [emoji4]

Happy days

4 minutes ago, Fricky_Bellend said:

2 offerings.

1) As a wee boy, we sometimes went to Glasgow Airport in the days you could walk out the gantry style roof & watch the planes coming and going.

There were seating areas on it and usual things tables & bins etc.

Anyway I was walking backward while watching the planes and fell in and got wedged in one of the large circular concrete bins, soaking wet from whatever was in the bin on a dry sunny day, wasn’t my finest moment. No you didn't. 

2) Scottish Cup Final 87 - Had been collecting all the newspaper cuttings & pictures from each round, made a wee Saints hat for the day , the day arrives happy days.

Except, at 18 years old decided to get 6 cans of Breaker for my liquid breakfast/lunch.

Got the train ‘special’ from Paisley/ Glasgow ( now pished ) don’t remember anything other than waking up in extra time Ferguson scored. Got in Hampden ok ( now idea how ) missed whole game. You made that up. 

I do however remember the town that night from my bus stop roof view opposite town hall emoji4.png

Happy days

:rolleyes:

1987 cup quarter final away to Raith, in a pub before the game and stood up to go to the bar just as a fight broke out. Took a pint glass square on the head and got a massive cut. Still went to the game but the bloody thing wouldn't stop bleeding.

6 minutes ago, Hendo said:

1987 cup quarter final away to Raith, in a pub before the game and stood up to go to the bar just as a fight broke out. Took a pint glass square on the head and got a massive cut. Still went to the game but the bloody thing wouldn't stop bleeding.

Seen it happen,  I was in the bar. 

I was in Kimberley, South Africa working for two weeks but after 4 days I couldn't face the thought of a weekend there so I booked a Friday flight to Johannesburg and Flew back to Edinburgh overnight. I made the game on Saturday and flew back to Joburg on the Sunday and back to work in Kimberley by Monday lunchtime. 

2 minutes ago, Slartibartfast said:
49 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Just got off the bus that day outside Starks Bar as a crowd of, I assume, Raith fans piled out throwing tumblers and swinging snooker cues. Is that the same pub?

It was. Rumour had it , it was ICF Rangers casuals and not Raith fans. Remember there was also trouble after the game. 

Airdrie v St Mirren at New Broomfield on a Friday night during the millennium champions season. Basher scores o put us two nothing up, my brother punches my glasses off  whilst celebrating and they fall on to the row in front - just as I'm teaching down to get them the guy in front accidentally jumps on top of them while celebrating. I spent the rest of the game trying to watch through one lens and twisted frames!!  Great win though 😆

My cousin was over from Florida, and I promised to take him to a game at Love Street. He's a bit of a redneck - loves his guns, hunting alligators, and always wears large alligator-skin boots and a cowboy hat. Anyway, we were walking through the backstreets of Carntyne, on our way to catch a train to Central, when we passed the local young team, the YCG. I cringed as they started laughing and jeering at my cousin. Shuggy, the top boy, comes running over, like a juggernaut in a trackie, produces a stanley knife, and demands our wallets! My cousin didn't seem to understand what Shuggy had said, and asked him to repeat himself. "For f**ks say, he's got a knife", I said. My cousin, known as Aberdeen back in Florida, looked a bit puzzled. 

"That's not a knife!" he said, after what seemed like an eternity. He then reached into his coat and produced a machete. Shuggy sh*ted it. He and his troops couldn't be seen for dust. Then a crowd of spectators who'd gathered nearby burst into wild applause. I will never forget that day as long as I live. 

Edited by W6er

4 hours ago, Doakes said:

Fed up reading about *that thing*

Anyone got any stories? Anything goes. Weird/crazy things that happened on an away day, missing a bus home, missed your wedding due to celebrating a trophy win?

Regale! :ph34r:

Two of the best things I’ve witnessed at a football game happened at the same one, not that long ago. Was the season we went up recently, believe it was Falkirk away. 

First one was someone convincing a steward that Gunni was a missing child and his name being read out over the tannoy. 

Second was a stray shot coming into the crowd. a lad jumped up to header it, his mate had another idea and went to punch it. The guy heading it won the ball and ended up getting punched in the side of the face by his mate. 

Was a brilliant day with the pressure pretty much being off on the league title. 

7 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Two of the best things I’ve witnessed at a football game happened at the same one, not that long ago. Was the season we went up recently, believe it was Falkirk away. 

First one was someone convincing a steward that Gunni was a missing child and his name being read out over the tannoy. 

Second was a stray shot coming into the crowd. a lad jumped up to header it, his mate had another idea and went to punch it. The guy heading it won the ball and ended up getting punched in the side of the face by his mate. 

Was a brilliant day with the pressure pretty much being off on the league title. 

Pretty sure they also asked for a “Tony Fitzpatrick” over the tannoy that day 

Great day except some angry woman in a falkirk suit jacket kept bursting our beach balls.

My offering - Had many experiences on our bus but inverness away stands out. Left stupidly early in the morning, had a few hours in Inverness before the game so went a mini pub crawl. Ended up in the Caley club and ranting to Inverness fans about Ross Tokely being an utter bawbag :lol: turns out they were quite fond of him, and one of them may even have been related to him, all got a little awkward. 

Fast forward to the game and for some unknown reason everyone was jumping about with their tops off. It was baltic and I’m pretty sure it started snowing sideways into our stand. That Gavin Reilly goal to make it 2-0 and resulting carnage will live long in the memory. 

Can’t say too much about the journey back but to say we celebrated that win is an understatement 

24 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I really enjoyed our League Cup win in 2013 but had to leave before the cup was presented, much to my chagrin. I had a limo pick up outside the stadium to take me to the airport for a flight to Dubai. 

A couple of guys on our bus got a limo back from Dunfermline after they missed the bus home :lol: arrived at the Bankhouse hours later to a big cheer. Shudder to think how much it cost them

Edited by Doakes

24 minutes ago, Doakes said:

A couple of guys on our bus got a limo back from Dunfermline after they missed the bus home :lol: arrived at the Bankhouse hours later to a big cheer. Shudder to think how much it cost them

A fortune I bet. 

Mine came courtesy of the airline. 

Only problem with that is that they insist on picking you up earlier than I would normally leave. 

But we win, so all was well.