Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 hour ago, Dickson said:

Good post. 

It's certainly a time where you will learn more than ever about your work colleagues that's for sure. 

For sure. Those who blatantly ignore advice and brag about their social life in spite of our current predicament are for the watching 

58 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's a good point about self-reflection.

I reckon lots of people will find it hard to go back to work when this is all done. Many will come to realise what's important in their lives and will realise they can have a great life with much less money than they think. You might find a swathe of people trying their hand at self employment or retiring early.

The question people should be asking is whether it's worth panning your nut in doing something you don't really enjoy for other people when a virus can wipe you out overnight. This time it's "just the flu" according to Faraway and other assorted numpties but the this could have been ebola or worse. Maybe next time it will be something like that. Maybe, this will encourage people to try focussing on things they like, stop chasing money and start living. We only get one shot at life. There are no replays.

No surprise that the end of the Spanish flu brought about the renaissance and the age of discovery. Perhaps we'll follow a similar pattern if we can all get through this - people realising that there is more to life than working a 9-5 that you hate  

https://mymodernmet.com/spanish-flu-pandemic-coronavirus/

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

As I said, it's the viewpoint if every government who is dealing with this, but you seem to want to give me credit for it.

You are putting other people at risk and knowingly ignoring this viewpoint and government advice because you know better.

And you call me a fool.

Another c**t onto ignore.

How is this happening? 

I go to work, I stick to small family groups, none who are in the category who are REALLY in any danger. 

You, and most of the other sheep, seem to think EVERYONE will die.

Run away, you must be getting angry, them "anger management classes" really didn't work. :byebye

Oh, another who loves calling someone a cnut on an internet forum, hard man. 

I think I’m sitting somewhere in between the “knickerwetters” And the “irresponsible twats”.

Im pretty much observing all the things we’re being told to do, but I am not scared in the slightest (and I’m normally a bit of a woos when it comes to health anxiety). I’m not sure why that is but I’m not fretting at all. Maybe I should be fretting more. I don’t know, but I guess you can’t make yourself worry about something. If I’m worried about anything, it’s more the impact all of this will have on our lives, rather than suffering from or worse dying from the virus. 

Similarly, whilst I completely understand and agree with the rationale and ultimate goal of the actions that everyone is being asked to take, I do have some sympathy for the argument that the measures are maybe a little excessive and the ultimate damage that will be done to everyone’s lives as a consequence may not be commensurate with the risk at hand.

Who knows? Answer = Nobody.

I guess we’ll just all need to ride it out and at the end of it all, make our own minds up as to whether the ends justified the means. 

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think I’m sitting somewhere in between the “knickerwetters” And the “irresponsible twats”.

Im pretty much observing all the things we’re being told to do, but I am not scared in the slightest (and I’m normally a bit of a woos when it comes to health anxiety). I’m not sure why that is but I’m not fretting at all. Maybe I should be fretting more. I don’t know, but I guess you can’t make yourself worry about something. If I’m worried about anything, it’s more the impact all of this will have on our lives, rather than suffering from or worse dying from the virus. 

Similarly, whilst I completely understand and agree with the rationale and ultimate goal of the actions that everyone is being asked to take, I do have some sympathy for the argument that the measures are maybe a little excessive and the ultimate damage that will be done to everyone’s lives as a consequence may not be commensurate with the risk at hand.

I guess we’ll just all need to ride it out and at the end of it all, make our own minds up as to whether the ends justified the means. 

The government, right now, quite rightly, focusing on 1.5 million people, in England, who are at the extreme end of the vulnerable group.

Asked to stay away from people, wherever possible, for the next 12 weeks. 

This seems to me, and I've not Googled anything here, the most sensible approach. 

Aye, time will tell where this will end. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Please follow the advice. We are a couple of weeks maybe 3 behind other European countries like Spain and Italy. We should have taken action 2 weeks ago, we really need to do it now. The numbers we are seeing right now are a result of behaviours 4 weeks ago.

43 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Please follow the advice. We are a couple of weeks maybe 3 behind other European countries like Spain and Italy. We should have taken action 2 weeks ago, we really need to do it now. The numbers we are seeing right now are a result of behaviours 4 weeks ago.

I am doing. I’m just not convinced that it’s necessary in its entirety. But I’m employing the better safe than sorry/don’t be a khunt for the sake of it logic. 

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I am doing. I’m just not convinced that it’s necessary in its entirety. But I’m employing the better safe than sorry/don’t be a khunt for the sake of it logic. 

You will be convinced shortly make no mistake about it. If the measures aren't followed we are in big trouble. I wouldn't for one second be complacent with this virus.

Anyhow, back at work, introduced a couple of measures to reduce possible infection, a couple of areas are normally walk in departments, stores, engineering and main office who are well apart anyway, are now knock and wait areas.

Heard a local engineering firm are about to confirm complete closure but nothing to directly relate that to the current situation. 

Well, another day, and things have changed.

I can imagine the chaos in many workplaces all over the UK, uncertainty about who is/isn't essential.

Our company directors are unsure how the offer of 80% is accessed and how quickly.

So, the bottom line, I'm home.

Could do some decorating but no flippin paint........................didn't think that through. :lol:

The novelty will wear off soon enough, just need to make the best of it.

Thankfully, still able to work. A lot quieter than normal, long spells between the hires. Happy to take the hit than sit in the house. 

Only one punter allowed in Cab per hire. A child is permitted also along with own parent. Government rules. 

Well, another day, and things have changed.
I can imagine the chaos in many workplaces all over the UK, uncertainty about who is/isn't essential.
Our company directors are unsure how the offer of 80% is accessed and how quickly.
So, the bottom line, I'm home.
Could do some decorating but no flippin paint........................didn't think that through. [emoji38]
The novelty will wear off soon enough, just need to make the best of it.

I've bad news for you, you can still order paint online and get it delivered, unfortunately I know that cos Mrs Mykey did it yesterday [emoji24]

1 hour ago, Dickson said:

Are you wearing a mask? Yesterday I saw a taxi doing a u-turn outside my work with the driver all masked up. Creepiest thing I've seen in a while. 

No mask. 

Hard to tell if the lockdown is making much difference as I stay out of the town and it's usually quiet anyway.

Was out cutting the grass earlier, still a few people out walking/exercising, pretty much the norm here.

My wife took a neighbour to Ninewells yesterday morning and it was a lot quieter on the roads, a shade more busy in the afternoon on the return journey.

Anyhow, a tad bored already. 

On 3/22/2020 at 4:35 PM, TPAFKATS said:

I'm repeating what our government and other governments are saying. You think that means I've no idea.
Are you really stupid, trolling or just genuinely don't care about other people?

TPAK, I'm in agreement with you but you really have to stop doing things like this.

Not agreeing with you is not the same thing as genuinely not caring about people in general. There's enough of this shite on P&B.

Guest TPAFKATS
TPAK, I'm in agreement with you but you really have to stop doing things like this.
Not agreeing with you is not the same thing as genuinely not caring about people in general. There's enough of this shite on P&B.
It's not about agreeing with me though, it's about disagreeing with the medical and scientific guidance during a global pandemic.
I used the third option to try and show how serious this is. I genuinely hope it isn't about not caring. That leaves stupidity or trolling which is more likely as it's the modus operandi of these 3 individuals.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

It's not about agreeing with me though, it's about disagreeing with the medical and scientific guidance during a global pandemic.
I used the third option to try and show how serious this is. I genuinely hope it isn't about not caring. That leaves stupidity or trolling which is more likely as it's the modus operandi of these 3 individuals.

Far be it from me to defend Faraway given his dick-ish behaviour but in his case, it's none of those three things.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Far be it from me to defend Faraway given his dick-ish behaviour but in his case, it's none of those three things.

Just because I don't have the need to join in with the doomsday scenario or, like the brammer you're replying to, see this as a chance to dig around for reasons to criticise the government, means my behaviour is dick-ish.

I've stuck to the facts, not joined in with the wild numbers LPM has been throwing around for weeks.

It's a bad enough situation for plenty of people without others trying to paint it much worse.

I'm comfortable with my points.

With the slight change today from the Scottish government stating that you, now, can work if this joke of social distancing is in place my workplace has made a tentative move asking how we'd feel about coming back. 

Again, we are NOT essential and the manufacturing can't be done from home. :lol:

I've put it to them overall I have no major issues dependant on exactly what plans they have to ensure our safety and if I'm uncomfortable where do I stand on my salary. 

Should hear something tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Dickson said:

I'm finding there are MORE people out walking than before. Probably symptomatic of having people working from home. Whether work is actually being done would be the obvious question IMO. There are a few people in my work who apparently are getting their normal workload done in four hours at home which sounds impressive, and if the quality is good then it begs the question why should employers keep giving them full time hours once this all passes. 

The roads to work are definitely quieter. My route to work during rush hour normally takes around an hour. Yesterday I got from door to door in 26 minutes. 

Yesterday my ex's daughter tested positive for COVID-19. She' and her partner been self isolating for 3 weeks after showing symptoms but had thought they had recovered. Then she started to get breathing problems. She's been told to stay in the house until / unless it gets to a point where her breathing at resting becomes as difficult as it would be to currently walk up and down a flight of stairs. 

I live in a leafy part of the City Centre. I have been out for a walk each day. Fewer people around today than there were a few days ago. Much less traffic. The gardener should start soon. Ive been busy on line. Tried to open an online business bank account with BOS. Had problems. Telephoned them to be told that they were not opening new accounts at this time. A friend is due to complete the sale if her property but can't as the Register of Scotland staff appear not to be able to operate. 

23 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I live in a leafy part of the City Centre. I have been out for a walk each day. Fewer people around today than there were a few days ago. Much less traffic. The gardener should start soon. Ive been busy on line. Tried to open an online business bank account with BOS. Had problems. Telephoned them to be told that they were not opening new accounts at this time. A friend is due to complete the sale if her property but can't as the Register of Scotland staff appear not to be able to operate. 

Can you not just say I live in the City Centre ?

5 hours ago, Dickson said:

I'm finding there are MORE people out walking than before. Probably symptomatic of having people working from home. Whether work is actually being done would be the obvious question IMO. There are a few people in my work who apparently are getting their normal workload done in four hours at home which sounds impressive, and if the quality is good then it begs the question why should employers keep giving them full time hours once this all passes

The roads to work are definitely quieter. My route to work during rush hour normally takes around an hour. Yesterday I got from door to door in 26 minutes. 

Yesterday my ex's daughter tested positive for COVID-19. She' and her partner been self isolating for 3 weeks after showing symptoms but had thought they had recovered. Then she started to get breathing problems. She's been told to stay in the house until / unless it gets to a point where her breathing at resting becomes as difficult as it would be to currently walk up and down a flight of stairs. 

There are a multitude of reason why focused and disciplined employees get more done at home. I suspect many of the folks who work beside you would like to see your employer reduce your hours !