Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

14 hours ago, RichardBuddie said:

As stated earlier in the thread I’m locked in with Jet2 and due to fly to Lanzarote on the 25/06, big problem is I have a type 1 diabetic 10 year old son and we will not be flying under any circumstances- lesser problem is unless they cancel by pushing flight window out is that I lose £1200

Ouch!!

Assuming you have tried your insurance company about this. 

I would be surprise if that flight went ahead since it is only 5 weeks away.

If it did, could you not try and sell your holiday on to someone else and get some cash back ?  

20 hours ago, FTOF said:

The Ronseal stuff that we used to paint our fences was in the hut over winter and it was fine.

There was very little frost last year was a very mild winter unlike the year before, beast from the east etc.  he did say... been in the shed for years, it should say on the tin storage temperature,  Bin it 

If it did, could you not try and sell your holiday on to someone else and get some cash back ?  

I’ve not contacted the insurance yet as I’m not too keen to ‘show my hand’ - it’s a good idea, I’m just hoping that Jet2 push their dates out and then I could get the no quibble refund.

I’ve absolutely no desire to take a risk and it’s too soon, the holiday would likely be rubbish now anyway!!

I'd have bought it but don't fly back from Malaga until the 27th. [emoji16]

Lockdown was supposed to be about ensuring that the NHS didn’t become overwhelmed.

It was about ensuring that no-one died as a result of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. 

The NHS didn’t come near to being overwhelmed and the evidence of Sweden is that it never would have.

And lockdown came after the peak of infections anyway so any impact will have been very limited.

With 50-90% of people with the virus asymptomatic, track and trace is obviously not going to work. It’s just something to allow the government to pretend that they are doing something. It’s something to try and reassure the population that’s it’s safe to leave the house. 

So can we just stop the pretence and lift the lockdown completely and entirely.

Its killed at least 13,000 so far, will kill thousands more in the U.K. and millions worldwide, came too late to have much impact, wasn’t needed to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, has caused record unemployment.the worst ever economic depression and is of little risk to working age healthy people. 

Time to end it. 

13 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Lockdown was supposed to be about ensuring that the NHS didn’t become overwhelmed.

It was about ensuring that no-one died as a result of the NHS becoming overwhelmed. 

The NHS didn’t come near to being overwhelmed and the evidence of Sweden is that it never would have.

And lockdown came after the peak of infections anyway so any impact will have been very limited.

With 50-90% of people with the virus asymptomatic, track and trace is obviously not going to work. It’s just something to allow the government to pretend that they are doing something. It’s something to try and reassure the population that’s it’s safe to leave the house. 

Its killed at least 13,000 so far, will kill thousands more in the U.K. and millions worldwide, came too late to have much impact, wasn’t needed to stop the NHS becoming overwhelmed, has caused record unemployment.the worst ever economic depression and is of little risk to working age healthy people. 

Time to end it. 

Clever :rolleyes:  Disregarding the evidence that came out of Italy and Spain,  Classic example of the first casualty of war..... the truth 

37 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

Time to end it. 

You clearly forget the Italian hospitals were overrun at their peak with the virus.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing and you can only plan/prepare as best as possible.  Do you think the government's across Europe, Asia and America took such drastic lockdown action on a whim?  They did so based on best advice.  The government has not got everything right and that will come out in any post virus review.  Regardless, over 35,000 people (likely more) in the UK have died.  Ignoring current advice that may lead to a second wave and more deaths is inexcusable.

1 hour ago, portmahomack saint said:

Clever :rolleyes:  Disregarding the evidence that came out of Italy and Spain,  Classic example of the first casualty of war..... the truth 

We’ve had more deaths than Italy and Spain yet never came near being overwhelmed! 

You’ve proved my point.

The first casualty of the truth - your post! 

Edited by Sue Denim

30 minutes ago, nedflanders123 said:

You clearly forget the Italian hospitals were overrun at their peak with the virus.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing and you can only plan/prepare as best as possible.  Do you think the government's across Europe, Asia and America took such drastic lockdown action on a whim?  They did so based on best advice.  The government has not got everything right and that will come out in any post virus review.  Regardless, over 35,000 people (likely more) in the UK have died.  Ignoring current advice that may lead to a second wave and more deaths is inexcusable.

Yes! Lockdown was done on a whim!

Governments around the world panicked!

The number of deaths caused by lockdown is known and will undoubtedly vastly outnumber the few saved by the lockdown. 

The virus is over. It’s run it’s course. Lift lockdown! 

18 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

We’ve had more deaths than Italy and Spain yet never came near being overwhelmed! 

You’ve proved my point.

Lol three guesses to who’s latest account this is. 

1. We managed to slow the infection rates to allow the NHS to handle it better, if we relaxed the lockdown now completely, who’s to say it wouldn’t overwhelm it now? 

2. How much worse would Italy, Spain and U.K. have been without any lockdown? Point one could still happen with no lockdown 
3. yes we did come close to overwhelming the NHS, it defies logic to think no lockdown measures wouldn’t have increased the number of people needing hospital treatment. At the worst point we were pretty close to capacity, an increase would have caused us to breach 

4. Sweden’s approach was economy over people’s lives & they now have one of the highest death to capital ratios in the world despite having a much less densely populated country than many parts of the U.K. can you imagine what our death rate would be if we mirrored them? 
5. analysis shows it probably hasn’t greatly benefited the Swedish economy not having a lockdown 
6. the exponential rate this virus took hold is strong evidence that completely relaxing lockdown with the number of known cases would cause the virus to bounce back to rates it was at previously and likely higher.  
7. the excess death rate is much more linked to Covid19 than any other cause individuals or combined. Your view isn’t one aimed at saving lives, it’s at taking them. 

18 minutes ago, Sue Denim said:

The number of deaths caused by lockdown is known and will undoubtedly vastly outnumber the few saved by the lockdown. 

Evidence? 

1 hour ago, Sue Denim said:

Utter nonsense.  A whim FFS? You say the virus is over, so I suggest you tell that to the families of the 338 people who have died in the last 24 hours.  Do you think the scenes in Spanish and Italian hospitals caused those governments to 'panic'?  If you are so convinced the virus is over can I suggest you liaise with the various governments and science teams to advise them and demand a removal of lockdown and a return to normality. Thank you Mr Trump.

3 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

You’ve proved my point.

The reason being we had more time to prepare,  like cancelling non-emergency operations and outpatient appointments,  making more hospital wards available for ICU, Italy and Spain didn't have that time unfortunately,

Spain will not be accepting international tourists next month, relax, assuming it's a package and not just a J2 flight it will be cancelled

I’ve not contacted the insurance yet as I’m not too keen to ‘show my hand’ - it’s a good idea, I’m just hoping that Jet2 push their dates out and then I could get the no quibble refund.

I’ve absolutely no desire to take a risk and it’s too soon, the holiday would likely be rubbish now anyway!!

As frustrating as the lockdown is, I am sure we're doing the right thing on balance up here.

I'm just hoping that the 4 stage plan can be implemented faster than one stage per 3 weeks.

As much as Sturgeon is doing a good job I could with a bit less of the "I was almost in tears when I saw footage from Portobello" cringe-fest she engaged in today.

Oh great! Just noticed the time. The pot banging virtue signallers are coming soon......

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

As frustrating as the lockdown is, I am sure we're doing the right thing on balance up here.

I'm just hoping that the 4 stage plan can be implemented faster than one stage per 3 weeks.

As much as Sturgeon is doing a good job I could with a bit less of the "I was almost in tears when I saw footage from Portobello" cringe-fest she engaged in today.

Oh great! Just noticed the time. The pot banging virtue signallers are coming soon......

I agree, I'm getting fed up............................not one part of the media has filmed or spoken to me in all these weeks.

B'strds. 

It's Friday and that means quiz night.

Tonight's theme is "Birthday" as the host had her 40th birthday this week.

I've developed a routine to make sure I'm in peak condition come 7:00pm, read the encyclopedia Britannica for 3 hours, have a nap then watch quiz shows for 3 hours.

C'mon the Faraways. :thumbs2