Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Spain will not be accepting international tourists next month, relax, assuming it's a package and not just a J2 flight it will be cancelled

You called it spot on - I will now sit tight and wait on the call for my no quibble refund!!

Feel for any other poor souls that may be in the position where they are contractually locked in with an airline but have a shielded individual in their family - in my case my 10 year old boy.

Might buy our season tickets now - but then that’s a debate for another thread [emoji3]

To put things in perspective, the virus is now known to have an infection fatality rate for most people under 65 that is no more dangerous than driving 13 to 101 miles per day. Even by conservative estimates, the odds of COVID-19 death are roughly in line with existing baseline odds of dying in any given yearimage.jpeg.20c19daf5948af77fe50e50213d08e1d.jpeg

Yet we put billions of young healthy people under house arrest, stopped cancer screenings, and sunk ourselves into the worst level of unemployment since the Great Depression. 

image.jpeg

Edited by Sue Denim

2 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

To put things in perspective, the virus is now known to have an infection fatality rate for most people under 65 that is no more dangerous than driving 13 to 101 miles per day. Even by conservative estimates, the odds of COVID-19 death are roughly in line with existing baseline odds of dying in any given yearimage.jpeg.20c19daf5948af77fe50e50213d08e1d.jpeg

Yet we put billions of young healthy people under house arrest, stopped cancer screenings, and sunk ourselves into the worst level of unemployment since the Great Depression. 

image.jpeg

What do you think Speigelhalter means when he says "This graph shows that having coronavirus effectively doubles your existing odds of death within a given year" at the foot of that graph?

Interestingly I can't find where he published this graph.

Other google hits show the same graph but with that footnote I mentioned deleted because it actually doesn't tally with the graph data.

I'm going to suggest that this graph is fake.

Edited by oaksoft

You called it spot on - I will now sit tight and wait on the call for my no quibble refund!!

Feel for any other poor souls that may be in the position where they are contractually locked in with an airline but have a shielded individual in their family - in my case my 10 year old boy.

Might buy our season tickets now - but then that’s a debate for another thread [emoji3]
Excellent news for you, the can kicking by the package holiday firms will continue for some time yet I suspect although flights themselves may well restart in some shape or form in the next couple of months if only to avoid any more refunds I.e. shifting the onus back to the customer to decide if they will fly but packages as we know them are not happening anytime soon. Some of the restrictions being talked about at hotels in Spain and Italy are ludicrous, utterly pointless going if it pans out that way.

As stated earlier in the thread I’m locked in with Jet2 and due to fly to Lanzarote on the 25/06, big problem is I have a type 1 diabetic 10 year old son and we will not be flying under any circumstances- lesser problem is unless they cancel by pushing flight window out is that I lose £1200

Ouch!!
received_626302754763570.jpeg

As much as I'm gutted at missing, glad you know for your families peace of mind. [emoji106]

Guest TPAFKATS
What do you think Speigelhalter means when he says "This graph shows that having coronavirus effectively doubles your existing odds of death within a given year" at the foot of that graph?
Interestingly I can't find where he published this graph.
Other google hits show the same graph but with that footnote I mentioned deleted because it actually doesn't tally with the graph data.
I'm going to suggest that this graph is fake.
Andy batters the post count, makes an ubercunt of himself and then goes quiet for at least 2 weeks before returning under a new alias.
Its been exaggerated during lockdown but its the same behaviour.

A psychiatric case study in action.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

Andy batters the post count, makes an ubercunt of himself and then goes quiet for at least 2 weeks before returning under a new alias.

Are the voices in our head annoying you again? :1eye

3 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Photoshopping faked graphs is a new low though.

On 5/22/2020 at 6:57 AM, faraway saint said:

It's Friday and that means quiz night.

Tonight's theme is "Birthday" as the host had her 40th birthday this week.

I've developed a routine to make sure I'm in peak condition come 7:00pm, read the encyclopedia Britannica for 3 hours, have a nap then watch quiz shows for 3 hours.

C'mon the Faraways. :thumbs2

It pains me to report we couldn't maintain our recent run of 4 winning quiz night's on the trot. :(

On the plus side we retained our King & Queen of karaoke title............................:king

There was only the two of us there, but nonetheless.......................:thumbs2

Dominic Cummings should be standing trial for crimes against humanity never mind resigning.

Its telling that the obese fatcat banker Ian Blackford seems it necessary to spend all day today bumping his gums about this mind you as opposed to the 000s of elderly care home patients who he helped to kill.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:01 PM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Looks good, is it on Netflix or amazon ? 

Just watched this mate, I have to say one of the best movies I've watched for a very long time.

The backdrop story is reasonably predictable but very well written, acted and a slow, unbelievably strong, build up makes it a 10/10 for me. 

I'd have a tissue close by, that's all I'm saying. 

Watched a film last night...

See if the plot rings bells...

A woman returns to the UK from Hong Kong via Chicago.

She has "jet lag"!

She... Then her son die from an unknown virus.

People in Hong Kong and Chicago start suddenly taking ill.

Persistent cough and a high temperature!

The death toll rises as the virus spreads rapidly.

World Health Organization and local governments get involved.

A virus is on the loose... Transferred by airbourne particles or touching surfaces!

The government attitude is nobody needs to know until everybody knows, so to avoid panic, they try to limit knowledge of it.

One journalist on the case... Refers to a Coronavirus!

WHO trace the virus dna back to a bat!

By now... Millions are dying worldwide in a pandemic.

Local panic leads to civil disorder.

One girl in "lockdown" by her father feels like being in jail... Can't wait for normal to resume!

Her Father won't even let her see her boyfriend as he hasn't been tested!

WHO have a clear trace from where it started... But Government shuts down release of information.

Could take months for an antidote!

Journalist exposes a link between pharmaceutical companies and government... Fears it is about making money rather than saving lives!

Likens it to the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic...

WHO talk about comparative "R numbers"!
This virus is at least 4... Polio was 1 or 2!

I shit you not...

All this was in the film... Released NINE YEARS AGO!

Watch Contagion... 2011.

Starred Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishbourne, Kate Winslett.

No great reviews at the time... But hindsight is a wonderful thing!

NINE years ago... How could this be SO accurate as to what we are going through now? How is that possible?

I know Coronavirus has been about for years... but the accuracy throughout was incredible.

26 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Watched a film last night...

See if the plot rings bells...

A woman returns to the UK from Hong Kong via Chicago.

She has "jet lag"!

She... Then her son die from an unknown virus.

People in Hong Kong and Chicago start suddenly taking ill.

Persistent cough and a high temperature!

The death toll rises as the virus spreads rapidly.

World Health Organization and local governments get involved.

A virus is on the loose... Transferred by airbourne particles or touching surfaces!

The government attitude is nobody needs to know until everybody knows, so to avoid panic, they try to limit knowledge of it.

One journalist on the case... Refers to a Coronavirus!

WHO trace the virus dna back to a bat!

By now... Millions are dying worldwide in a pandemic.

Local panic leads to civil disorder.

One girl in "lockdown" by her father feels like being in jail... Can't wait for normal to resume!

Her Father won't even let her see her boyfriend as he hasn't been tested!

WHO have a clear trace from where it started... But Government shuts down release of information.

Could take months for an antidote!

Journalist exposes a link between pharmaceutical companies and government... Fears it is about making money rather than saving lives!

Likens it to the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic...

WHO talk about comparative "R numbers"!
This virus is at least 4... Polio was 1 or 2!

I shit you not...

All this was in the film... Released NINE YEARS AGO!

Watch Contagion... 2011.

Starred Gwyneth Paltrow, Jude Law, Matt Damon, Laurence Fishbourne, Kate Winslett.

No great reviews at the time... But hindsight is a wonderful thing!

NINE years ago... How could this be SO accurate as to what we are going through now? How is that possible?

I know Coronavirus has been about for years... but the accuracy throughout was incredible.

Because scientists have been researching into pandemics for years. They've tracked the way it would spread and they have some statistics to go on with past pandemics. There are lots of papers on these possible outbreaks and the way they would spread. Not sure about the bats thing but other viruses have crossed species via different animals so I wouldn't be surprised if scientists knew about possible bat connections. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that the film makers simply researched that data.

Because scientists have been researching into pandemics for years. They've tracked the way it would spread and they have some statistics to go on with past pandemics. There are lots of papers on these possible outbreaks and the way they would spread. Not sure about the bats thing but other viruses have crossed species via different animals so I wouldn't be surprised if scientists knew about possible bat connections. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that the film makers simply researched that data.

Researched the data you say? That's just turned it into a fantasy, that would never happen in real life...

As an update to the first effect of Coronavirus on me personally, I got my Oz flights refund through on Friday from the agent despite Singapore Airlines not having coughed up. Took a review on Trustpilot and a threat to start a debit card charge back procedure to get there but good result in the end.

Paid SAL directly for extra legroom seats on the two long flights but luckily used a credit card for that and got the money back via Section 75.

Going to try my luck with the travel insurance next, we had a 12 month Europe policy and extended it to cover Oz so going to attempt to get the extra cost back. Fingers crossed.

@antrin, moving forward in the Canaries. 

Some of the relaxation measures as we enter in phase 2 from today Monday 25th May

You are now able to move around your province/island respecting the safety and hygiene measures and of course Social distancing, in groups of a maximum of 15 people.

TIME SLOTS
People up to 70 years old will be able to carry out non-professional physical activity in any time slot except between 10:00 & 12:00 and between 19:00 and 20:00 (these times reserved for the vunrable.

Again with social distancing, or using a face mask when unavoidable.

CHURCHES
Places of worship can now open but must not exceed 50% of its capacity.

ORGANISED ACTIVITIES
Active and outdoor tourism activities can resume with groups of up to 20 people, preferably by appointment, but not necessary in the Canary Islands.

RETAIL
Shops & Retail outlets can reopen 40% of the total capacity of the premises for the sale of all items a minimum distance of two metres between all clients.
Priority service hours for over 65s.
In larger shops, measures will be made to avoid crowds

Street markets can open limited to one third of their authorized stalls
and products must not be handled by the customers.

Shopping centers and commercial parks can reopen limited to 30% of its common areas and 40% in each of the commercial establishments.

Recreational areas children's play areas, toy libraries or rest areas cannot be used, and must remain closed.

The use of toilets and baby rooms will be restricted to a single use only unless assistance is needed.

HOSPITALITY
Pubs and restaurants for consumption of food & drink, may reopen to the public, provided that they do not exceed 50% of their capacity.

Customers must be served sitting at a table or group of tables, with table service, In no case will service at the bar be accepted.

You can order food and drinks for take away

The outdoor terraces of hospitality establishments maintain the limitation of 50% of tables, with a maximum occupancy of 10 persons per group.

Payment by card will be encouraged and the use of menus will be avoided.

Nightclubs and discotheques cannot open.

All cinemas, theatres, auditoriums and similar spaces may resume activity as long as they have pre-assigned seats and do not exceed a third of the authorized capacity.

POOLS AND BEACHES:

Recreational pools can be opened to the public with a maximum capacity of 30% of the facility
If social distancing between users cannot be maintained, the capacity will be reduced.

To use recreational pools, it is NECESSARY to make an appointment.

Hygiene and prevention regulations will be reminded to users
Locker room, showers and water fountains cannot be used.

Beaches:
You can access the beaches of the same province/island
at least two metres between bathers is respected.
Showers, toilets and changing rooms can be used, limiting occupancy to one person, unless assistance is required.

Bathers must make responsible use of the beach,
Personal objects such as towels, sunbeds, and similar items must remain two metres from other users, except in the case of groups that do not exceed 15 people