Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Morrisons in Lone end was significantly busier yesterday at 8.30 a.m. than it has been over the past few weeks and there was no queue when I went in.

The lack of face coverings was quite noticeable too, which is particularly worrying as the aisles were much more populated. 

The petrol station was much busier too.

Looks like a few "eye tests" are being planned for this weekend.:nerdy

Troon was absolutely rammed yesterday. Weegie invasion and with car parks closed there were abandoned vehicles on every verge. See SAC have announced the wardens are back to work today in response, will only be worse. Heard stories of hordes being refused access to Ayr trains at Central with a few ugly scenes. It was always going to be like this if the first leeway coincided with a scorching weekend of weather.

I know it's only anecdotal but judging by the number of cars on Heathfield Rd. Ayr at 8:00 & 8:30 am this morning the lockdown is well & truly over, also aisle etiquette seems to have taken a hit (thank you Dominic Cummings :rolleyes:).

With restrictions being eased and the streets likely to fill up we're getting to the stage where we'll have to consider wearing face coverings more regularly. 

I know others have mentioned it but petrol was under £1 per litre (99.7p) there was a thread back in in 2006 IIRC bemoaning that it had gone over a quid - whooodathunk we'd have seen it return?

20 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Morrisons in Lone end was significantly busier yesterday at 8.30 a.m. than it has been over the past few weeks and there was no queue when I went in.

The lack of face coverings was quite noticeable too, which is particularly worrying as the aisles were much more populated. 

The petrol station was much busier too.

Looks like a few "eye tests" are being planned for this weekend.:nerdy

I haven't been in shops but have strolled down to the city centre in Stirling. The minority seem to be using face coverings. Don't know why anyone wouldn't if they were in a busy location or shop. 

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

I haven't been in shops but have strolled down to the city centre in Stirling. The minority seem to be using face coverings. Don't know why anyone wouldn't if they were in a busy location or shop. 

See the pressure is on to reduce social distancing from 2m to 1.5m or even 1m....

Highlighting sections of the paper which suggest that droplet exposure and infection risk “fall sharply at 1.5 metres”, Mr Clark (former business minister) said the document does not seem to “establish the need for a recommended distance of two metres.” 

“This evidence is consistent with the guidance of many countries to maintain social distancing of 1.5 metres (such as in Germany, Australia or the Netherlands),” he continued. 

“Some administrations that have had success in tackling the COVID-19 pandemic, such as those in Hong Kong and Singapore, even recommend a distance of 1 metre—as does the World Health Organisation.”

….as I said above with lockdown over and if social distancing is reduced the need for face coverings must surely increase.

2 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

See the pressure is on to reduce social distancing from 2m to 1.5m or even 1m....

….as I said above with lockdown over and if social distancing is reduced the need for face coverings must surely increase.

Have to agree with you. My question is why don't people wear it? 

30 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Have to agree with you. My question is why don't people wear it? 

AFAI am aware current recommendation up here is that face coverings are recommended in shops & public transport - IMO public transport is the biggie. As yet I am not in favour of Far Eastern etiquette where use of face-mask (not just coverings) seems to be ubiquitous. Even pre-Covid wearing face coverings seemed to be relatively common in general life out there perhaps due to pollution worries.

Edited by Bud the Baker

AFAI am aware current recommendation up here is that face coverings are recommended in shops & public transport - IMO public transport is the biggie. As yet I am not in favour of Far Eastern etiquette where use of face-mask (not just coverings) seems to be ubiquitous. Even pre-Covid wearing face coverings seemed to be relatively common in general life out there perhaps due to pollution worries.
My son was so astonished by this in Florence last summer he snapped a few it was 41c too20190625_204840.jpeg20190625_204804.jpeg

Scary post from P&B - top photo shows people "spread out" on beach, bottom one them crammed together to allow Emergency Services Helicopters to land...

Durdle door beach yesterday - some f**kers jumped off the rocks and needed to be airlifted to hospital causing more extreme flouting of social distancing rules. Well done to all involved.

08051449-2902-4111-B0E9-F86CC793D465.jpeg

C69A6012-04C1-4307-AFCA-65CA0FB9A5EA.png

Edited by Bud the Baker

With Ryanair being very poor at returning fares in the current situation will this be enough to lure people back?

Ryanair to slash fares by half in flight price war

Budget airline Ryanair (RYAAY) has announced plans to slash fares in half to lure passengers from rivals.

Boss Michael O'Leary told The Mail on Sunday he was prepared to operate at a loss over the next year to recover bookings lost during the pandemic.

The chief executive has declared a price war by launching a "pile them high, sell them cheap" sale including flight routes left empty by other airlines.

56 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Our local recycling plant, or tip, opens today.

This will be chaos as there's limited space for vehicles.

The council workers were busy putting no parking cones on the main road outside yesterday.

People being people will be down there this morning rather than wait a day or two.

Well, never seen that coming..................:rolleyes:

Police had to be called as the trumpets couldn't wait a few hours or days so they were queuing up along the main road making it difficult for traffic to come and go.

People are utter arseholes. :thumbsdown

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

With Ryanair being very poor at returning fares in the current situation will this be enough to lure people back?

Ryanair to slash fares by half in flight price war

Budget airline Ryanair (RYAAY) has announced plans to slash fares in half to lure passengers from rivals.

Boss Michael O'Leary told The Mail on Sunday he was prepared to operate at a loss over the next year to recover bookings lost during the pandemic.

The chief executive has declared a price war by launching a "pile them high, sell them cheap" sale including flight routes left empty by other airlines.

Don't think they are social distancing on their planes either. No doubt people will be willing to risk it just to save a few pounds

Don't think they are social distancing on their planes either. No doubt people will be willing to risk it just to save a few pounds
Check their new hygiene routine. A clean once a day that will provide 24hrs protection. Only resuming flights to stem the refund tide as no one is letting Brits in and we can't leave until FCO advice changes. It will be interesting to see if they are permitted to operate in the UK under their current operational plan.

It was surprisingly fine here, a well thought out and executed plan that totally avoided blocked roads in the vicinity.

Our local recycling plant, or tip, opens today.
This will be chaos as there's limited space for vehicles.
The council workers were busy putting no parking cones on the main road outside yesterday.
People being people will be down there this morning rather than wait a day or two.

27 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

It was surprisingly fine here, a well thought out and executed plan that totally avoided blocked roads in the vicinity.

After an initial surge from the usual level of half wits it was well organised.

We went down        and sailed straight in.

A couple of wallopers didn't seem to know what a queue was right enough but a quick word restored order. 

So, we decide to visit the local garden centre, the wife had picked something up she'd ordered online yesterday.

An absolute mess.

Too many cars/people in small spaces.

I almost bailed out after a couple of minutes, didn't feel comfortable at all.

No point in playing the game the last umpteen weeks then this carry on.

It was less busy further through at the outside area but I'll not be going back.

16 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I read yesterday that people were queuing up from 6am at IKEA stores which were due to open at 10am. Huge queues all day. No doubt we will see similar behaviour when Braehead opens up again. Madness.

It's hilarious to read the Post by F Man. Is he really so lacking in self awareness not to get that he was part of the problem. Hard to believe 

30 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I read yesterday that people were queuing up from 6am at IKEA stores which were due to open at 10am. Huge queues all day. No doubt we will see similar behaviour when Braehead opens up again. Madness.

I've seen plenty of coverage on todays news.

How desperate are people for a set of flat pack drawers? :1eye

Didn't Ikea have home delivery during this lockdown?