Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

One here opening, rest waiting for 15th. Been none of your takeaway points either.

I notice that Glasgow city council are banning take out drinks from pubs due to antisocial behaviour complaints. i.e. scumbags pishing wherever they see fit in public.

It starts the day that beer gardens are allowed to open.

Anyone caught selling takeaway drinks will lose their beer garden license.

I wouldn't blame humans who need to pee: that's an integral flaw in human make-up.

Blame those actual scumbags who come up with the half-cocked, not-thought-through decisions.

It's like banning smoking in pubs.  . That ruined the beer gardens for non-smokers.  Unintended consequences

There is a synchronicity being denied here.

People want to drink beer.  Landlords want to ensure that customers can COMFORTABLY consume copious amounts of the Landlords' products...

Easy answer to the pee "problem" would be to ensure access to the pubs' toilets.

All the lovely pubs down here that opened around Victoria Park... had their clientele make use of the Park's shrubberies.

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

I wouldn't blame humans who need to pee: that's an integral flaw in human make-up.

Blame those actual scumbags who come up with the half-cocked, not-thought-through decisions.

It's like banning smoking in pubs.  . That ruined the beer gardens for non-smokers.  Unintended consequences

There is a synchronicity being denied here.

People want to drink beer.  Landlords want to ensure that customers can COMFORTABLY consume copious amounts of the Landlords' products...

Easy answer to the pee "problem" would be to ensure access to the pubs' toilets.

All the lovely pubs down here that opened around Victoria Park... had their clientele make use of the Park's shrubberies.

What else is an empty can, other than a portable container for the end product after consumption? 

The law of unintended consequences has a lot to answer for. 

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

What else is an empty can, other than a portable container for the end product after consumption? 

The law of unintended consequences has a lot to answer for. 

How small must your dick be to be able to get it into a beer can?

Went down to Aldi today for shopping - well, wine and beer, that counts no? - and there were around 10 sitting at the car park wall with takeaway pints from The Wallace. Came out and the polis had arrived to move them on. The drinkers couldn't seem to understand that:

The car park wasn't a beer garden

Beer gardens weren't open yet anyway

It's been illegal to drink in public for years in Renfra.

I'm not really sure which of these three is the stupidest the polis had to respond to...

Also bought three pints and enjoyed them at home, nice to have a draught beer after so long.

Went down to Aldi today for shopping - well, wine and beer, that counts no? - and there were around 10 sitting at the car park wall with takeaway pints from The Wallace. Came out and the polis had arrived to move them on. The drinkers couldn't seem to understand that:

The car park wasn't a beer garden

Beer gardens weren't open yet anyway

It's been illegal to drink in public for years in Renfra.

I'm not really sure which of these three is the stupidest the polis had to respond to...

Also bought three pints and enjoyed them at home, nice to have a draught beer after so long.
Got a couple of pints of Peroni from Amareto last week just for a change from the bottles.

One of the local bar / restaurants I'm on a mailing list for is opening on Monday in it's outdoor spaces in Prestwick. Minimum spend of THIRTY quid per table per booking ffs. Got to give your card details when booking and the £30 is deducted from your final bill. That is sure to put the casual pint hunters off !!!

54 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

One of the local bar / restaurants I'm on a mailing list for is opening on Monday in it's outdoor spaces in Prestwick. Minimum spend of THIRTY quid per table per booking ffs. Got to give your card details when booking and the £30 is deducted from your final bill. That is sure to put the casual pint hunters off !!!

Looking for a new clientele perhaps 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Trying to make up for the money they've lost.

Aye, nobody will nip in for a pint or two. 

Hope they end up lots of empty tables. 👎

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I think it will tend to put off everyone! Hate this type of profiteering, it was the same at the start of the lockdown with shop keepers charging £8 for calpol!

7 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I think it will tend to put off everyone! Hate this type of profiteering, it was the same at the start of the lockdown with shop keepers charging £8 for calpol!

To be fair Albion. All they are guilty off is taretting the people they want in as customers to maximise the space they have. No suggestion of putting up prices. Say 4 people were going on the one tab then that would be £7.50 spend per person. I'm not sure what a pint costs but doubt that that is much more than the cost of 2 pints. 

49 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Aye, one or two people who might want to pop in for a drink will, rightly, give this a miss. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

It's not profiteering.

They are trying to ensure they make a profit full stop.

And effectively they are taking a £30 deposit to make sure you turn up.

It's not the same as the calpol thing which definitely WAS profiteering.

Edited by oaksoft

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's not profiteering.

They are trying to ensure they make a profit full stop.

And effectively they are taking a £30 deposit to make sure you turn up.

It's not the same as the calpol thing which definitely WAS profiteering.

You're right, it's not profiteering, it's forcing people to make a minimum spend.

It's certainly quite unusual, depending on the location, could put more people off than it attracts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965

A lot of universities in financial trouble.

Main problem is over reliance on foreign students. St.Andrew's really struggling at present, as is Edinburgh. Glasgow is stronger financially, so not quite as badly affected.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/international-students-at-uk-universities

The likes of UWS aren't going to be affected nearly as badly, as most of their students are "home grown".

30 minutes ago, FTOF said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965

A lot of universities in financial trouble.

Main problem is over reliance on foreign students. St.Andrew's really struggling at present, as is Edinburgh. Glasgow is stronger financially, so not quite as badly affected.

https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/international-students-at-uk-universities

The likes of UWS aren't going to be affected nearly as badly, as most of their students are "home grown".

Market forces. 

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You're right, it's not profiteering, it's forcing people to make a minimum spend.

It's certainly quite unusual, depending on the location, could put more people off than it attracts.

Yeah it's not something I would do with my business. I'll be glad if we can get anything over 50% of our customers back at the start.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah it's not something I would do with my business. I'll be glad if we can get anything over 50% of our customers back at the start.

Your business isn't a bar/restaurant. The move makes perfect sense for the business. They have restricted space and an overload of demand. What's not to like?