Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

It's not profiteering.

They are trying to ensure they make a profit full stop.

And effectively they are taking a £30 deposit to make sure you turn up.

It's not the same as the calpol thing which definitely WAS profiteering.

Fair points Oaks, FS and Ricky, my zeal may have taken over. When it comes to money I am the Paisley Taliban. 

Guest TPAFKATS
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53280965
A lot of universities in financial trouble.
Main problem is over reliance on foreign students. St.Andrew's really struggling at present, as is Edinburgh. Glasgow is stronger financially, so not quite as badly affected.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/international-students-at-uk-universities
The likes of UWS aren't going to be affected nearly as badly, as most of their students are "home grown".

UWS has been broke for a wee while, this could be the final nail.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 hours ago, FTOF said:
Main problem is over reliance on foreign students. St.Andrew's really struggling at present, as is Edinburgh. Glasgow is stronger financially, so not quite as badly affected.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/student-advice/where-to-study/international-students-at-uk-universities
The likes of UWS aren't going to be affected nearly as badly, as most of their students are "home grown".

Imperial College are a good bet too.

I read somewhere that they are almost £1bn in debt. That's just total financial mismanagement if there's any truth in that.

Just now, oaksoft said:

You have no idea what my business is or isn't.

Is that so? 

After all that you have written about it? I know this for sure. It isn't a bar or restaurant. A penny arcade perhaps as you get Mrs O to go into the bank with change to be banked. 

4 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Imperial College are a good bet too.

I read somewhere that they are almost £1bn in debt. That's just total financial mismanagement if there's any truth in that.

Why should that be bad in itself? Organisations use debt in various forms to grow income streams or for capital projects. 

2 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Is that so? 

After all that you have written about it? I know this for sure. It isn't a bar or restaurant. A penny arcade perhaps as you get Mrs O to go into the bank with change to be banked. 

I'm not interested in what you think you know or don't know.

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 hours ago, FTOF said:

The last I heard it was in better health relatively, compared to St.Andrew's and Edinburgh.

I'll let you know after I've spoken to my mate.:rolleyes:

Edited by FTOF

On 3/21/2020 at 2:18 PM, faraway saint said:

Aye, we haven't any real evidence that work is drying up, I've spoken to a few people in other companies and it's mixed but overall nobody is seeing a definitive downturn due to this virus.

Couple of mates work offshore, one has been quarantined, are still working as normal, albeit a few men down.

I agree on the issues working from home can bring, especially when most people are not used to this, that would worry me.

We're in manufacturing, need to be there to make things, although some office staff could "work" from home but I've argued against that as there are times I need engineering back up and that needs hands/eyes on the job to make a certain decision. 

Really? .. No sign that employment might be affected. There are none so blind as those that will not see. 

Edited by St.Ricky

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Well you've certainly changed your tune. :D

You can almost feel how upset he is over on the Coronavirus thread, trolling away like, well, a troll. :lol:

He's almost posting in invisible ink as almost no one engages with him. 🙈

PS And above. :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

48 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

With £16m in the bank. 

PS The point I'm making is they are not "broke", as was stated earlier in the thread.

That's all. 

A reduction of income of just 10% could wipe that out pretty quickly.

It's also worth knowing if they are aiming at another year of loss.

That cash will also be needed to pay creditors in the next 12 months.

That's before we consider whether they have debts.

I'm not saying they are broke either but their situation is not as rosy as you are painting either.

Edited by oaksoft

22 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

A reduction of income of just 10% could wipe that out pretty quickly.

It's also worth knowing if they are aiming at another year of loss.

That cash will also be needed to pay creditors in the next 12 months.

That's before we consider whether they have debts.

I'm not saying they are broke either but their situation is not as rosy as you are painting either.

Beep. Beep. Financial genious's at work.