Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Just now, Long John Baldy said:

Strange times require a change in your weird approach to Christmas. 🎅

Weird approach?

What's weird is grown men and women buying each other cheap and useless tat that nobody needs or wants at Christmas out of nothing more than obligation.

Boxing day is eBay's biggest day for sales.

There's something deeply tragic about this sheep behaviour.

5 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Poor you, never received a decent Christmas present so it's had a tragic effect on your outlook.

Ho fecking Ho. 🎅

I love Christmas.  It's a great time for family. We just don't feel the need to rack up credit card debt on unimportant stuff. Nothing tragic here.

Were you neglected as a kid? Is that why you feel this need for validation and approval through presents even though you're at retirement age 😄? Now THAT is tragic. 😄

Edited by oaksoft

1 minute ago, Long John Baldy said:

^^^^^^^ Trying too hard.

When you say "we" you do know it's all down to you? :lol:

You've mentioned retirement twice this morning already, @antrin will be on his hotline to Div as we "speak" :rolleyes:

I'm not really trying too hard at all. The following article shows how ridiculous all of this is. Oh and remember they are talking about averages. There are people out there still paying off the bills for last Christmas. I will never understand the average human and frankly I not sure I ever want to. I'm just grateful not to have people like this in my social circle.

https://www.milstedlangdon.co.uk/overspending-at-christmas-is-causing-people-to-get-into-debt/#:~:text=According to the latest research,per person being £200.

I'm not really trying too hard at all. The following article shows how ridiculous all of this is. Oh and remember they are talking about averages. There are people out there still paying off the bills for last Christmas. I will never understand the average human and frankly I not sure I ever want to. I'm just grateful not to have people like this in my social circle.
https://www.milstedlangdon.co.uk/overspending-at-christmas-is-causing-people-to-get-into-debt/#:~:text=According to the latest research,per person being £200.

The biggest surprise I got there was you claiming to have a social circle. [emoji14]

Mass unemployment in time for Christmas!

The Job Retention Scheme was designed to save jobs for people unable to work through no fault of their own.

They have been thrown on the scrapheap!

The new Job Support Scheme applies to people who are actually working but facing reduced hours over winter through COVID-19.

To be eligible, you must be working at least one third of your normal hours!

That rules out thousands of people straight away!

The employer pays the wages for hours worked.

Of the unworked hours, the employer also pays a third of them...

The Government will pay one third of the unworked hours only...

The employee will contribute one third of the unworked hours in terms of going unpaid for them.

The end result is people getting 77% of their wage... but only if able to work at least a third of their normal hours.

Daycare is not ALLOWED to open. Too many households.

As I said... Only eligible if still working a third of your hours... What about theatres, clubs, and all the places still closed?

Mass unemployment! [emoji26][emoji26][emoji26]

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

Mass unemployment in time for Christmas!

The Job Retention Scheme was designed to save jobs for people unable to work through no fault of their own.

They have been thrown on the scrapheap!

The new Job Support Scheme applies to people who are actually working but facing reduced hours over winter through COVID-19.

To be eligible, you must be working at least one third of your normal hours!

That rules out thousands of people straight away!

The employer pays the wages for hours worked.

Of the unworked hours, the employer also pays a third of them...

The Government will pay one third of the unworked hours only...

The employee will contribute one third of the unworked hours in terms of going unpaid for them.

The end result is people getting 77% of their wage... but only if able to work at least a third of their normal hours.

Daycare is not ALLOWED to open. Too many households.

As I said... Only eligible if still working a third of your hours... What about theatres, clubs, and all the places still closed?

Mass unemployment! emoji26.pngemoji26.pngemoji26.png

Yes, and if this is what happens and we still have close to no deaths you'll soon see a swing in public opinion regarding people wanting restrictions to remain.

It's all well people wanting to "stay at home, save lives" and "valuing a human life over money" (Bazil) but you need a functioning economy to be able to do that.

Unless something very special happens this could be catastrophic and life changing for a lot of people.

I certainly wouldn't want to be 40 something and over and having to find a new job over the next few years because of this.

It's reminiscent of the 80's in that regard.

Edited by oaksoft

20 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yes, and if this is what happens and we still have close to no deaths you'll soon see a swing in public opinion regarding people wanting restrictions to remain.

It's all well people wanting to "stay at home, save lives" and "valuing a human life over money" (Bazil) but you need a functioning economy to be able to do that.

Unless something very special happens this could be catastrophic and life changing for a lot of people.

I certainly wouldn't want to be 40 something and over and having to find a new job over the next few years because of this.

It's reminiscent of the 80's in that regard.

if we still have close to no deaths, it's a big if. Again very short memory from earlier this year. 

The impact on financial support linked to Covid19 is purely a political one. The money is available to continue furlough if we take it from other places. Scraping upgrades to Trident (or all together) and HS2 would be a good place to start. 

Taking political stances that impact people lives then blaming the virus is ridiculous IMO. Human life over politics is hardly a poor world view. 

Meanwhile, employment just got a little creepier.
This sort of thing just gives me the heeby jeebies.
I don't understand why any self-respecting person would allow themselves to be subjected to this at work.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54289152
I didn't know about the screenshot part but the rest of it has been available for years, now.

1 hour ago, salmonbuddie said:
23 hours ago, oaksoft said:
I don't understand why any self-respecting person would allow themselves to be subjected to this at work.

I didn't know about the screenshot part but the rest of it has been available for years, now.

Don't think it's the availability he's getting at, more the usage. Many years ago I worked in an office environment that monitored absolutely everything. average handling times, breaks, lunches, toilet breaks, admin time, internet usage the lot. The company used these methods in lieu of targeted accountability and reward. So instead of saying "right here's your targets & here's what you get if you meet them" they had a base salary and a (very small) bonus structure that everyone got regardless of performance. 

For me, that sort of culture meant people would take the p*** and as such they used the software. It was still ineffective in a lot of ways because people navigated ways round it.

For me the most effective way to get the most out of staff was to target (reasonably) and incentivise. This can also be done in a right or wrong way as well though. Let's not forget the PPI scandal and other companies using unachievable, unrealistic sales targets that led to miss-selling.

IMO there's no silver bullet for all companies but I am not a fan of the big brother is watching approach. I feel it is flawed by design.   

2 hours ago, salmonbuddie said:
On 9/29/2020 at 11:30 AM, oaksoft said:

I've not been an employee for more than 20 years so this whole thing is a surprise to me.

I don't know if I could have worked under those conditions.

I actually misread the article anyway. I thought the app was taking photos of the employee but obviously it's just a screen shot. It's still a step too far IMO. If you don't trust your employees and treat them as adults then I think your business is fecked.

Edited by oaksoft

I've not been an employee for more than 20 years so this whole thing is a surprise to me.

I don't know if I could have worked under those conditions.

I actually misread the article anyway. I thought the app was taking photos of the employee but obviously it's just a screen shot. It's still a step too far IMO. If you don't trust your employees and treat them as adults then I think your business is fecked.

I think you're right about the pictures, screenshot was the wrong word.

My employer has the capability to do it but it would have to be by agreement with the unions. As one of the (9) Senior Reps I'd be dead against it and I don't imagine the rest of them would be any different. Would be...interesting if they tried.

[emoji846]

That app doesn't but if you read the whole story they're is some that do. [emoji106]

I don't remember saying it was a myth and a picture of someone of on a stretcher , l am afraid proves nothing .
Even Dr Thomas Cowan , if you actually care to listen , doesn't say it is a myth .

However , by now l do believe any rational person , who values their own life and liberty and that of their fellow Buddies , should be asking questions like ;
Why have there been no house arrests put in place in Shanghia or Peking despite them being much closer geographically to Wuhan epicentre than say Milan , Madrid or Govan
What happened to the seasonal flu this season ?
Why have people stopped dying of cancer and heart disease ? Is covert21 the cure for this?
It is all cases cases cases cases , now because no one is dying of IT and there is over an 99% recover rate  of those who do actually get it .
What science

"no one is dying of IT"?

Source?