Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

I haven't checked (and don't want to in case it spoils it) but one effect of this virus is me wishing I had shares in a company that manufactures tinfoil - sales must be through the roof...

Apparently shares in hydroxychloroquine have nose dived in the last couple of days. [emoji848]

17 hours ago, smcc said:

Would they all have died of something else if they had not developed Covid?

The answer is yes. People have been dieing way before covid 19 turned up.  The biggest risk factor for dieing is being old.

If and when "they" can provide true and accurate stats of people who have died of covid 19 ALONE, it will be a small figure. 

Yes I'm being a smart arse, but if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer. 

18 hours ago, branniganm said:

The answer is yes. People have been dieing way before covid 19 turned up.  The biggest risk factor for dieing is being old.

If and when "they" can provide true and accurate stats of people who have died of covid 19 ALONE, it will be a small figure. 

Yes I'm being a smart arse, but if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer. 

18 hours ago, Slarti said:

As far as we know, everyone dies. So, yes. :)

But would they have died at this time? probably not.

18 hours ago, branniganm said:

18 hours ago, Slarti said:

Edited by smcc

4 hours ago, smcc said:

But would they have died at this time? probably not.

I don't know, neither do you and neither does anyone else.  They could have died even sooner due to something else that they could have been exposed to if not for the restrictions put in place.

The Taxpayers Alliance, a great bunch of lads!

Taxpayers' Alliance: Cut pensioner benefits 'immediately'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34439965

Particularly liked the the following quote from Alex Wild...

"The first of which will sound a little bit morbid - some of the people... won't be around to vote against you in the next election. So that's just a practical point, and the other point is they might have forgotten by then."

He added: "If you did it now, chances are that in 2020 someone who has had their winter fuel cut might be thinking, 'Oh I can't remember, was it this government or was it the last one? I'm not quite sure.'

I'll bet Mr. Wild is already hatching plans to bump off his parents for his inheritance.

Edited by Bud the Baker

I've just found out, if you press and hold down the space bar, you can navigate along the sentence you may need to edit instead of trying to poke in between letters that can be tricky for us all with large digits. [emoji16]

This tip has been brought to you as I'm bored sitting in the house cause no where is open to enjoy a beer with the football. [emoji17]

• 2 weeks later...

Well it looks like I called this one wrong back in the spring - I thought we'd have a bit of a baby boom!

The sale of Durex jumped when social-distancing rules were relaxed in the summer, says maker Reckitt Benckiser.

The consumer goods giant said growth in its health arm, which includes condoms and "sexual wellbeing products", rose 12.6% in the last three months.

Sales of Dettol, Cillit Bang, and air fresheners also jumped, helped by workers improving their new home-office environment, Reckitt said.

Total group sales in the last quarter rose 13% to £3.5bn on last year.

"Relaxations of social distancing regulations resulted in improved demand for our sexual well-being products," it said.

During the spring lockdown Reckitt saw a sharp drop in demand for condoms as people had less sex.

However, the company suggested on Tuesday that this spring fall could have a knock-on effect on its baby formula business next year, with an expected fall in the global birth rate.

"There is evidence that birth rates will be further lowered in coming quarters as a result of behaviour changes related to the pandemic," it said.

"Our performance has been led by an increase in hygiene and health volumes," said boss Laxman Narasimhan.

Sales of Dettol-branded sprays, wipes and liquid climbed more than 50% compared to the same period last year.

Airwick and Finish continued to grow strongly, with consumers continuing to spend more time at home compared to a year ago, the company said.

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Well it looks like I called this one wrong back in the spring - I thought we'd have a bit of a baby boom!

I dunno...

Maybe there was a lot more bareback riding going on and that might still cause a population explosion.

What does a business who wants to sell condoms do

Publicise that you don't NEED to wear condoms - you're safe if you're wearing a mask?

I am not convinced by R+B's claim:

"During the spring lockdown Reckitt saw a sharp drop in demand for condoms as people had less sex."

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

I dunno...

Maybe there was a lot more bareback riding going on and that might still cause a population explosion.

What does a business who wants to sell condoms do

Publicise that you don't NEED to wear condoms - you're safe if you're wearing a mask?

I am not convinced by R+B's claim:

"During the spring lockdown Reckitt saw a sharp drop in demand for condoms as people had less sex."

So are we waiting till next Jan/Feb?