Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

• 3 weeks later...

Scottish football, we're not alone, losing around £70m, to rise to £100m by the end of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55030350

Scottish football is estimated to have suffered a collective loss of £70m due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

The figure is projected to rise towards £100m by the end of the season, after the Scottish FA conducted a survey of all levels of the game.

The 42 SPFL clubs, plus those in the Highland and Lowland leagues, as well the SFA itself, were asked to quantify the loss in income due to Covid-19.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Good news, I'm rich. 🙄

The quote was from a larger interview given by the Bank of England's chief economist Andy Haldane who is pinning his hopes on a spending spree from Covid's financial winners to counter the economic downturn being caused by Covid and Brexit - so get spending.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

The quote was from a larger interview given by the Bank of England's chief economist Andy Haldane who was pinning his hopes on a spending spree from Covid's financial winners to counter the economic downturn caused by Covid and Brexit - so get spending.

What would you like? 😉

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Maybe more people should follow these simple guidelines to financial independence.....

1. Avoid Debt;

2. Spend less than you earn;

3. Invest the difference.

My kids are nearing the end of their school education and not once have they been taught basic financial education regarding items like PAYE Taxes, National Insurance, Pensions, Benefits system, Mortgages, Credit Cards, Loans, Interest repayments, etc.

They can however list all the nicknames for class A, B and C drugs as well as understanding all the different genders and religious festivals around the world.

It rips ma knitting so it does seeing so many people lumbered with mortgages they can’t afford, loans that they struggle with repayments, credit card debts with enormous interest penalties. Don’t even get me started on the people who get sucked into long contracts for mobile phones and TV-Broadband deals.

When they lose their jobs or suffer ill health all these companies will want their pound of flesh. It’s frightening to think that Britons owe so much in consumer debt.

Total household debt in Great Britain was £1.28 trillion in April 2016 to March 2018, of which £119 billion (9%) was financial debt and £1.16 trillion (91%) was property debt (mortgages and equity release).

Maybe I should've posted a link to the whole article where he says that Covid's financial winners banked £100 billion between March & September by savings made from working at home coupled with spending less on holidays, social activities etc...

UK public's £100bn Covid savings could help recovery, says Haldane | Business | The Guardian

The idea of raising taxes remains a remote possibility, so harden your hearts as we head into Austerity2!

• 1 month later...

Ultimate kick in the teeth - Debenham's sold to a business complicit in not paying it's workers the minimum wage and undermining safe working practices during the pandemic? Yup we're certainly all in it together...

Debenhams shops to close permanently after Boohoo deal - BBC News

Fashion retailer Boohoo has bought the Debenhams brand and website for £55m.

However, it will not take on any of the firm's remaining 118 High Street stores or its workforce.

Edited by Bud the Baker

7 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Ultimate kick in the teeth - Debenham's sold to a business complicit in not paying it's workers the minimum wage and undermining safe working practices during the pandemic? Yup we're certainly all in it together...

Debenhams shops to close permanently after Boohoo deal - BBC News

f**k Debenhams. 15 stores in Scotland but not in the biggest town. 

1 minute ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

f**k Debenhams. 15 stores in Scotland but not in the biggest town. 

I remember buying a Christmas pressie in there a few years ago (quite a few years now I guess) and the checkout girl commented on my St. Mirren tammy - I asked if she was a Saints fan, there's quite a few in Ayr, she said no but that she was a Steven Thompson fan...:cloud9

I guess it would just've been after he started doing commentaries on't Telly.

20 year interest free loan of £1M available.

Cool.

Take the £1m, put it in an interest paying account, after 20 years the loan is paid but we still have all the interest which due to inflation, may be enough to buy a bar of soap for Greenock to share.

You know it makes sense.

6 hours ago, Slarti said:

Cool.

Take the £1m, put it in an interest paying account, after 20 years the loan is paid but we still have all the interest which due to inflation, may be enough to buy a bar of soap for Greenock to share.

You know it makes sense.

Do I need to give you a lesson in morals young man?

You've got enough to say about "Tory cunts".

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

From a guy that thinks it's morally right that drug dealers should be imprisoned for life and given zero opportunity for rehabilitation or to contribute to society again. :whistle 

6 hours ago, Slarti said:
9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I don't believe that I have ever used that phrase on this site. I mean, they are, but I just don't think that I've ever said so.

I don't recall you using that phrase either.

Another sign he's losing the plot.