Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Money saving exercise maybe. 
It's not a Council event Tommy, run by an organising committee who have "reluctantly " cancelled after Council advice. I have heard independently that the Council were unwilling to lease the Town Hall for the Fare stalls which is the only indoor element. Possibly that loss of revenue is a factor.

Guest TPAFKATS
Unbelievably we have had the town winter fare and Christmas lights switch on events cancelled, they were in mid and late November ffs. Citing council advice the SD was still likely to be in operation at 2m and hence not viable / safe apparently despite both being outside events more than six months away. Total and utter disgrace.
November is flu time. Public health officials are already warning of another spike around then.

18 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
Unbelievably we have had the town winter fare and Christmas lights switch on events cancelled, they were in mid and late November ffs. Citing council advice the SD was still likely to be in operation at 2m and hence not viable / safe apparently despite both being outside events more than six months away. Total and utter disgrace.

November is flu time. Public health officials are already warning of another spike around then.

Are they? 

Methinx there won't be, let's see who's right, you, who WANTS more fatalities or me. :byebye

30 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
4 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Better safe than sorry. Budgets might also need to be spent in other areas. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Yes.

Mefcukinghopenot
For f**k sake. He's the "expert" on everything. Literally claiming to know better than public health experts.

Faraway is the pub bore everyone tries to ignore when they are at the bar.

Guest TPAFKATS

Johnson told us his approach to covid would help the economy to come out of this stronger.

Now OECD forecasts that UK economy will take a harder hit than most others.
So he's managed to get highest death rate and also f**ked the economy.

That's quite the achievement.

Most likely in addition to Covid still kicking about, that there may be several "normal" seasonal flu viruses in circulation at that point. I wonder how much focus has gone into producing vaccines against the predicted three or four strains that are usually covered in the yearly administered flu vaccines.

Flu vaccines are generally given October/November, in preparation for the flu season, which runs roughly from December to March, in a normal year.

So that's going to be a crucial point in trying to minimise any sort of flu related outbreak.

Edited by FTOF

6 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

For f**k sake. He's the "expert" on everything. Literally claiming to know better than public health experts.

^^^^^^ Tragic, hoping for more deaths to satisfy his thirst to play the blame game.

He can't understand what an opinion is, always looks for some "expert" to back up his gloomy outlook on life. 

What a walloper. :byebye

22 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Yes.

Mefcukinghopenot

No. 

I've highlighted the key word...................

In a letter to The Guardian, 27 medical and scientific experts have warned that many more people may die if a second wave hits at the end of the year and the government is without “quick, practical solutions to some of the structural problems that have made implementing an effective (coronavirus) response so difficult”.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

He bores on here too and completely misses the irony in his number of likes. Numpty of the first order. If there was ever anybody who's brain (there are glimpses that he has one) only engages after they have spoken then he is a prime example. 

Better safe than sorry. Budgets might also need to be spent in other areas. 
Who's budget, it's not a Council event ! If events like this are being cancelled we can kiss goodbye to football and most of the leisure sector. If measures are still as they are in 6 months life as we know it will be screwed, it won't be allowed to have that affect.

17 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:

We cant go preemptively cancelling every event "just in case", life is fuked if we do that.

It pretty well is at the moment Ayrshire. I guess contracts need to be signed now and planning to start. The judgement clearly is not to take the risk and save the money. Look at the Global Environment Conference that was to be held in Glasgow in the autumn. There are few organisations where money is plentiful right now. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Guest TPAFKATS
Most likely in addition to Covid still kicking about, that there may be several "normal" seasonal flu viruses in circulation at that point. I wonder how much focus has gone into producing vaccines against the predicted three or four strains that are usually covered in the yearly administered flu vaccines.
Flu vaccines are generally given October/November, in preparation for the flu season, which runs roughly from December to March, in a normal year.
So that's going to be a crucial point in trying to minimise any sort of flu related outbreak.
I don't envy anyone trying to come up with a flu jab this year.

Guest TPAFKATS
We cant go preemptively cancelling every event "just in case", life is fuked if we do that.
They probably can't commit to contracting anyone to appear and will have little if any vendors signing up.
So no money coming in to help fund it and don't want the liabilities of booking artists.

It pretty well is at the moment Ayrshire. I guess contracts need to be signed now and planning to start. The judgement clearly is not to take the risk and save the money. Look at the Global Environment Conference that was to be held in Glasgow in the autumn. There are few organisations where money is plentiful right now. 
It's a Christmas fete, hardly in the same league. It's small community events like these that are far more important to local life than utter nonsense like climate conferences which should be done via video conference anyway, a joke travelling across the world for a climate conference. As I say forget football if events like this can't happen come November.

Just now, Ayrshire Saints said:
19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

It's a Christmas fete, hardly in the same league. It's small community events like these that are far more important to local life than utter nonsense like climate conferences which should be done via video conference anyway, a joke travelling across the world for a climate conference. As I say forget football if events like this can't happen come November.

Small organisations are also in deep doodoo at the moment. All grant monies have gone/ are going to support Covid. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, FTOF said:

I don't envy anyone trying to come up with a flu jab this year.

This years jab would have been agreed before the last quarter of last year.

Just now, stlucifer said:

This years jab would have been agreed before the last quarter of last year.

It's usually February that they meet, for Northern hemisphere countries, to decide what goes into the vaccine for the upcoming flu season.