Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Just now, Ayrshire Saints said:
29 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
Dormant as opposed to fading out?

Or being suppressed ? It would be good to know what is driving the sustained falls, is it the measures put in place or is the strain becoming less virulent. Probably needs to be answered for best route forward.

Ask New Zealand, proudly proclaiming they are covid free.

5 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
33 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
Dormant as opposed to fading out?

Or being suppressed ? It would be good to know what is driving the sustained falls, is it the measures put in place or is the strain becoming less virulent. Probably needs to be answered for best route forward.

Positive, however it is being described. You are right though that it needs to be analysed and the right steps taken to maintain the improvement. 

Just now, Yflab said:

New Zealand’s approach to this pandemic has been first class. If only our government had followed the same approach NZ and Australia took to safeguard the lives of their population......

Aye, but gives a pointer that, as far as they're concerned, they have beaten the virus. 

6 minutes ago, Yflab said:

New Zealand’s approach to this pandemic has been first class. If only our government had followed the same approach NZ and Australia took to safeguard the lives of their population......

Yes... They have done a great job on handling the pandemic. We can't turn the clock back. Lessons need to be learned. 

4 minutes ago, Yflab said:

If only we had a government.

Absolutely no leadership from our invisible buffoon of a PM, or any of his team of yes-men (and women). The fools who voted this mob into power must have lost their minds.

No strategy to deal with the pandemic, no decisions have been made proactively, the policies have been (at best) knee jerk reactions.

I haven't heard a single one of them answer a precise question they have been asked by journalists.

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Absolutely no leadership from our invisible buffoon of a PM, or any of his team of yes-men (and women). The fools who voted this mob into power must have lost their minds.

No strategy to deal with the pandemic, no decisions have been made proactively, the policies have been (at best) knee jerk reactions.

I haven't heard a single one of them answer a precise question they have been asked by journalists.

Aye, mistakes have been made and wee Nicky will have the same level of responsibility for Scotland who have not exactly been world leaders in preventing deaths in this country, or don't you count Scottish deaths? 

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And you are unlikely to see them do so anytime soon. 

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

Do you mean the Scottish Gov or the UK Gov ?

The UK Gov could/should have closed the borders of Scotland, England and Wales to all other countries just like New Zealand did, but I doubt NS has the authority to closed the Scottish airports and border. 

The issue wasn't helps by having 3 different parliaments/assembly in 1 island making different decisions at different times. 

14 hours ago, Tommy said:

Do you mean the Scottish Gov or the UK Gov ?

The UK Gov could/should have closed the borders of Scotland, England and Wales to all other countries just like New Zealand did, but I doubt NS has the authority to closed the Scottish airports and border. 

The issue wasn't helps by having 3 different parliaments/assembly in 1 island making different decisions at different times. 

Highlighting border controls, which wouldn't have made a great deal of difference, is way down the "worry" list.

The assumption that planes were arriving with disease ridden passengers is a smokescreen. 

The biggest problem is the good people of the UK.

Look at the recent outrage when a government minister travelled to another place.

Put the potential spread that he could have done against the recent mass gatherings and it's inconsequential. 

I understand that any government official breaking the news can be utter stupidity but the public use that as a reason for them to do as they like. 

Also I'm not sure NS didn't have the authority to close the border and close airports.

I agree that having different messages from 4 different UK governments hasn't help as people cherry pick what rules suit them. 

The Impact of coronavirus continues to effect most, if not all of us. Those who have sadly died and their families. Those who suffered the worst of the illness and those prevented from having visitors when in hospital or a care home or living alone. 

Economically many have been furloughed and seen their incomes cut whilst others have lost or face losing their jobs. Businesses new and old face difficult times and many won't survive. 

Our health and social care system has been tested as has our ability to teach the young in schools, colleges, universities and in apprenticeships. 

Personal holidays, weddings and even funerals have been effected. 

Wide ranging effects which will take time to recover from but recover we wiil.. But to a different normal. 

22 hours ago, thomsons dropped it said:

Starting my 14th week working from home on Monday ,must confess it’s been a long haul. Had a Teams meeting Q and A with Senior Managers and all the Office Staff we have atWesthill. Looks like we will be going back start of September but there will be more people still working from home on a more regular basis. Not sure how it will affect me, a couple of days a week in the Office would be good but accommodations will become an issue. I have a rented flat and I’m not paying for that for two days a week usage. I could go down Monday stay one night B and B then go home end of Tuesday 😉

I do think with more folk working from home then the accommodation market, especially in Aberdeen ,where it is artificially high in a lot of cases, coupled with reduced numbers in many companies, will force a drop in their rates.

This is my last week of furlough, well technically I'm on holiday as the company made everybody take a weeks holiday.

That'll me have been off for 10 weeks.

Looking forward to getting back to work, meeting up with groups of people again, novelty value for a few days. 

No idea what the future holds, getting mixed messages from people I know in Aberdeen, mostly uncertainty. 

Not a lot I can do, just take each day/week/month as it comes. 

I’ m the same to an extent, rolling contract ,but we’ve just been given a 5 year extension to run the Ship by Bp so we are not short of actual work. We are decommissioning two vessels this summer so there will be a little over capacity in the Office.For me, I officially retire in 30 months but my plan was to go in 18 but the Pension forecast might change that.🤔

I did shift my pension on advice of the company advisor to the minimum risk 15 months ago.......some comfort I suppose.

Like you Robert, just jog on for now, see what comes along. 

1 minute ago, thomsons dropped it said:

I’ m the same to an extent, rolling contract ,but we’ve just been given a 5 year extension to run the Ship by Bp so we are not short of actual work. We are decommissioning two vessels this summer so there will be a little over capacity in the Office.For me, I officially retire in 30 months but my plan was to go in 18 but the Pension forecast might change that.🤔

I did shift my pension on advice of the company advisor to the minimum risk 15 months ago.......some comfort I suppose.

Like you Robert, just jog on for now, see what comes along. 

I've just over 4 years to the magical retirement, not sure if I'm looking forward to it or not. :lol:

Overall I think I am, it's been a long 40 odd years, takes it's toll.

Planning to spend 3 or 4 months a year in warmer climes, always have disliked the cold and wet. 

18 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ask New Zealand, proudly proclaiming they are covid free.

The world's eyes will be on countries like New Zealand and Australia.

You have to think at some point, Covid infected individuals will slip in to these countries at some point, once travelling restrictions are relaxed.

The relatively small numbers of individuals infected in these countries might lead to an upsurge in cases, even with infection rates dropping in many countries around the world.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

You have to think at some point, Covid infected individuals will slip in to these countries at some point, once travelling restrictions are relaxed.

The relatively small numbers of individuals infected in these countries might lead to an upsurge in cases, even with infection rates dropping in many countries around the world.

Exactly, we've done the "apples and oranges" thing but there are lessons to be learned and while our numbers are miles higher if these countries experienced any rises we should take note. 

The slight worry, and I still don't believe there will be any major increase, is the British attitude.

That covers the governments and the public. 

31 minutes ago, FTOF said:

That's what intrigues me, I presume anyone entering Oz/NZ will have to quarantine and that this will have to remain the case until a vaccine is available.

I wonder why the SG are so far refusing to confirm the date shops can reopen ? If shops don't reopen as outlined in P2 of the road map then there will precious little of P2 happening come Thursday's review. Business needs time to prepare so no reason not to say today "you can reopen from Thursday ". I sincerely hope they are not rowing back from the "very optimistic " talk of last week, can't see any reasons for it in the numbers.

40 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

That's what intrigues me, I presume anyone entering Oz/NZ will have to quarantine and that this will have to remain the case until a vaccine is available.

Unlikely they will go down that route as it'll critically reduce numbers willing to fly.

More likely they will go down the "travel bubble" route with countries that have reduced the spread.

NZ already pushing for flights between them and Australia as it's causing serious economic problems. 

2 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I wonder why the SG are so far refusing to confirm the date shops can reopen ? If shops don't reopen as outlined in P2 of the road map then there will precious little of P2 happening come Thursday's review. Business needs time to prepare so no reason not to say today "you can reopen from Thursday ". I sincerely hope they are not rowing back from the "very optimistic " talk of last week, can't see any reasons for it in the numbers.

I don't think they are rowing back AS. It does look possible that some things from phase 2 might be moved back to phase 3 and some from phase 3 brought forward though. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Numbers reported now are based on events at least 2 weeks ago, in case of deaths could be 5 weeks since getting covid.

I reckon Scot gov are waiting to see if there is any spike during this week.

3 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Numbers reported now are based on events at least 2 weeks ago, in case of deaths could be 5 weeks since getting covid.

I reckon Scot gov are waiting to see if there is any spike during this week.

Spike.............................:lol:

You continually show you have no ability to come to a conclusion on your own.

To help you there have been NO spikes worth talking about.

Hope this helps.