Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

On 6/17/2020 at 9:44 AM, ALBIONSAINT said:

Should the furlough scheme be extended for certain sectors of industry/business? I think certain areas such as tourism/ hospitality/ travel should have an extension (tapered) especially in areas where tourism is a major source of employment (parts of Scotland, Cornwall etc) 

like the old Irish saying during the potato famine goes  “the scenery is beautiful but you can’t eat it” 

Honestly, I don't think so.

Infection rates are low enough so IMO both governments need to put crippling fear to one side, set social distancing at 1m and get everything back up as quickly as humanly possible. Then deal locally with any genuine spikes.

The Chinese have shown that even after 50 odd days of no cases you can get minor spikes so we're never going to be totally safe and we can't sit around waiting for a vaccine.

Since members of my family are allowed into the house to use the toilet :lol: my granddaughter is looking forward to taking the wrong turn and go into the room where my cat seeks peace from the dog.

She's been annoyed the cat's forgotten who she is and will spend 5 minutes reigniting their relationship. 

It's a pity my wife and I are both grandparent as, seemingly, if we were single we could have contact?

We might forget we are a couple, put it down to our age. :rolleyes:

Bizzare. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Infection rates are low enough so IMO both governments need to put crippling fear to one side, set social distancing at 1m and get everything back up as quickly as humanly possible. Then deal locally with any genuine spikes.
The Chinese have shown that even after 50 odd days of no cases you can get minor spikes so we're never going to be totally safe and we can't sit around waiting for a vaccine.
You don't really understand this at all.

I had a holiday to Lanzarote cancelled in May, was refunded by J2 no problem. Also had flights later in year October for a weekend break with Easyjet and they are letting you alter free if more than 14 days away. I intended bringing the flights forward to Aug into September to Alicante. Issue now is accommodation. It seems a hell of a lot of hotels have no intention of opening this year which I find quite strange. We know the hotels and firms we like and the ones we dont but a good few hotel chains are remaining closed until next Spring. Checked TripAdvisor forums and it seems a common thread throughout Spain and the Islands. Going to hold off a few weeks and might push back to October but I assumed they would be desperate for the trade. Seems it's not just the UK showing caution / the "fear".

3 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I had a holiday to Lanzarote cancelled in May, was refunded by J2 no problem. Also had flights later in year October for a weekend break with Easyjet and they are letting you alter free if more than 14 days away. I intended bringing the flights forward to Aug into September to Alicante. Issue now is accommodation. It seems a hell of a lot of hotels have no intention of opening this year which I find quite strange. We know the hotels and firms we like and the ones we dont but a good few hotel chains are remaining closed until next Spring. Checked TripAdvisor forums and it seems a common thread throughout Spain and the Islands. Going to hold off a few weeks and might push back to October but I assumed they would be desperate for the trade. Seems it's not just the UK showing caution / the "fear".

Try Oman. Wonderful. Some top class hotels. 

4 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:
9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

You don't really understand this at all.

I don't need to when I have you to mansplain everything for me.

12 hours ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

I booked yesterday for Lanzarote in November.

everything as normal, it appears... though I’m sure there will be changes to buffet dining and (hopefully) on the flights...

Reading local Lanzarote news, it appears that the “good intentions” of the Canaries to ensure only cv-free people are allowed onto planes, is trumped by EU rules.

also... the islands economies are so dependent on tourism and there is a clamour for opening up.

(About a month ago, the Subaqua  Underwater “Museum”, off the coast of Playa Blanca Went bust.

https://underwatermuseumlanzarote.com/en/

It had only had an average of 20+ punters a day, so unsurprising.  I never got round to doing that....  :(  )

4 minutes ago, antrin said:

I booked yesterday for Lanzarote in November.

everything as normal, it appears... though I’m sure there will be changes to buffet dining and (hopefully) on the flights...

Reading local Lanzarote news, it appears that the “good intentions” of the Canaries to ensure only cv-free people are allowed onto planes, is trumped by EU rules.

also... the islands economies are so dependent on tourism and there is a clamour for opening up.

(About a month ago, the Subaqua  Underwater “Museum”, off the coast of Playa Blanca Went bust.

https://underwatermuseumlanzarote.com/en/

It had only had an average of 20+ punters a day, so unsurprising.  I never got round to doing that....  :(  )

So sad to hear about a business going under. I will get my coat 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It might work the other way, you could get a pleasant surprise when you got home. :lol:

Knowing our  luck i would get the buck teeth horrible looking thing from still game   :shockaroony

Wife would get Ricky    :lol:

4 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Knowing our  luck i would get the buck teeth horrible looking thing from still game   :shockaroony

Wife would get Ricky    :lol:

She should be so lucky Tommy. (?) Very popular with the ladies. Well, when you are tall well built, suave and good looking, what else could I be... 

Edited by St.Ricky