Effect of Coronavirus

faraway saint

Our company are being a bit arsey about holidays.

They already "forced" everybody to take 6 days holiday just over a month ago.

Now they are targeting people who have over 100 hours remaining and planning ANOTHER forced holiday in a few weeks for these people. 

When asked about carrying holidays into next year they said that was brought in ONLY for front line workers. :lol:

As I've been on furlough for quite a while I haven't had a real opportunity to take a holiday and I'm currently having a discussion why I'm not happy at the proposed next enforced weeks holiday.

Now they are targeting people who have over 100 hours remaining and planning ANOTHER forced holiday in a few weeks for these people. 
When asked about carrying holidays into next year they said that was brought in ONLY for front line workers. [emoji38]
As I've been on furlough for quite a while I haven't had a real opportunity to take a holiday and I'm currently having a discussion why I'm not happy at the proposed next enforced weeks holiday.

Been lucky enough to carry holidays over to next year. Thinking about visiting family in Australia. Will have to find out the fixture list appointments so I don't miss out on any big games. [emoji6]

45 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

When asked about carrying holidays into next year they said that was brought in ONLY for front line workers. :lol:

I've seen this sort of thing before.

What you want to be worrying about is jobs being cut.

That might well be coming round the corner.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I've seen this sort of thing before.

What you want to be worrying about is jobs being cut.

That might well be coming round the corner.

I'm aware, as many people are, that the future is uncertain.

It still shouldn't be a free shot for companies to take advantage of people's worries about their jobs.

IF they guaranteed our jobs then, go ahead, but we, along with many people, don't know what's around the corner and shouldn't be feeling forced to take our legal holiday entitlement.

I'm unlikely to take it to any legal situation, at the moment I've stated my case and appealing to them to reconsider. 

21 hours ago, bazil85 said:

the rage it produces would suggest you do. 

He seems to spend his time raging against someone or something if he isn't watching TV, placing bets or getting blutered. Is he a comic book caricature of a Scotsman from the Rab C Nesbitt era? 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

I'm aware, as many people are, that the future is uncertain.

It still shouldn't be a free shot for companies to take advantage of people's worries about their jobs.

IF they guaranteed our jobs then, go ahead, but we, along with many people, don't know what's around the corner and shouldn't be feeling forced to take our legal holiday entitlement.

I'm unlikely to take it to any legal situation, at the moment I've stated my case and appealing to them to reconsider. 

The company I work for is similar. Everyone has been told they have to take 50% their holiday allowance by September. The difference being they haven't furloughed anyone. I feel job cuts are round the corner as well, in the grand scheme I'm not too concerned about being made to take holidays. 

Just now, bazil85 said:

The company I work for is similar. Everyone has been told they have to take 50% their holiday allowance by September. The difference being they haven't furloughed anyone. I feel job cuts are round the corner as well, in the grand scheme I'm not too concerned about being made to take holidays. 

If people haven't taken 50% by September then that's only going to cause issues in the last quarter, especially if there's been no furlough? :blink:

It is a KEY difference as I, and a few others, have had little/less chance to take holidays.

IF they take this proposed week I'll have just over a weeks holidays left and I've not had/been a holiday this year. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

If people haven't taken 50% by September then that's only going to cause issues in the last quarter, especially if there's been no furlough? :blink:

It is a KEY difference as I, and a few others, have had little/less chance to take holidays.

IF they take this proposed week I'll have just over a weeks holidays left and I've not had/been a holiday this year. 

Aye it'll be a s*it show, half arsed thrown together solution. We are still in discussion about being allowed to carry holidays right enough. 

For me it is give and take, it would be nice if they let you carry some holidays but I also understand from a business perspective mandated holidays. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Aye it'll be a s*it show, half arsed thrown together solution. We are still in discussion about being allowed to carry holidays right enough. 
For me it is give and take, it would be nice if they let you carry some holidays but I also understand from a business perspective mandated holidays. 
Holiday entitlement is for given year.
Most companies are trying the take 50% by end of September, quarter two or three depending on how the holiday year works, as a solution to stop everyone taking the same time or in case there's another wave and business is affected.

There's an argument that if you choose not to take your holidays in the year then you didn't need them and they are gone. Sensible employers try to avoid this and allow flexibility and some carrying forward of days generally limited to a maximum amount.

Employees not getting an actual holiday, abroad or not, is irrelevant to the employer.

Bean counters see a saving by not allowing the carrying forward of leave from one year to next.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Most companies are trying the take 50% by end of September, quarter two or three depending on how the holiday year works, as a solution to stop everyone taking the same time or in case there's another wave and business is affected.

There's an argument that if you choose not to take your holidays in the year then you didn't need them and they are gone. Sensible employers try to avoid this and allow flexibility and some carrying forward of days generally limited to a maximum amount.

Employees not getting an actual holiday, abroad or not, is irrelevant to the employer.

Bean counters see a saving by not allowing the carrying forward of leave from one year to next.

I mean more it'll be a nightmare for them because that's pretty much what everyone is doing, 50% on the dot so we will need to cram 50% annual leave in for almost all the employees over three months (ours run to end of December). Without allowing us to carry I think it'll be a big struggle to get the time off for everyone. 

Like I say, I agree to an extent on the forced holidays in our situation where we aren't furloughed. It's a tougher situation where holidays are being made to be taken when people are furloughed. How does it even work with pay? If you take your holiday do they need to pay you 100% or still the lesser? 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

This is an unprecedented situation and you are right that employees need to take a step back and understand the bigger picture.

This isn't necessarily about employers taking the piss.

Many large employers have enormous overheads and have seen sales slashed for nearly half a year.

They are potentially obliged by their employment T+C to either get staff to take their holidays or transfer them to next year or, worse, pay the employees for each day they don't take (that's what I used to get back in the days where I was an employee). I can't imagine they could just cancel holiday entitlement with there being some legal ramifications. It's a huge financial time-bomb and they are time-limited in their ability to fix it.

So they're stuck between a rock and a very hard place. If they can't resolve this there's a probably they could quickly run out of cash and that's when redundancies can become inevitable.

Any employee digging their heels in and being demanding at this time might well end up regretting it.

Guest TPAFKATS
I mean more it'll be a nightmare for them because that's pretty much what everyone is doing, 50% on the dot so we will need to cram 50% annual leave in for almost all the employees over three months (ours run to end of December). Without allowing us to carry I think it'll be a big struggle to get the time off for everyone. 
Like I say, I agree to an extent on the forced holidays in our situation where we aren't furloughed. It's a tougher situation where holidays are being made to be taken when people are furloughed. How does it even work with pay? If you take your holiday do they need to pay you 100% or still the lesser? 
I'm assuming if you are on leave then you are still furloughed as you continue to accrue and be entitled to holidays?

Would have thought it might be easier to get folk to take leave all at same time if furloughed - assuming employees consent.

43 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

And in normal times they'd probably do just that this time round as well.

That bit underlined is not necessarily true. Most companies DO care about the welfare of their staff. Right now though, there is an existential threat to many businesses.

5 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And in normal times they'd probably do just that this time round as well.

That bit underlined is not necessarily true. Most companies DO care about the welfare of their staff. Right now though, there is an existential threat to many businesses.

Are you attempting to mansplain? 

15 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Are you attempting to mansplain? 

At the risk of mansplaining to you, Ricky...  I think you're being unfair on O.

Well, some people are seeking a rationale behind decisions made by their companies that impact them adversely.

Oxter's doing a good job on here of showing what is perhaps the rationale  - especially given context behind the decisions.

8 minutes ago, antrin said:

At the risk of mansplaining to you, Ricky...  I think you're being unfair on O.

Well, some people are seeking a rationale behind decisions made by their companies that impact them adversely.

Oxter's doing a good job on here of showing what is perhaps the rationale  - especially given context behind the decisions.

I'll take your word for it. 

14 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Just for clarification................WATCH: 'Mrs. Brown's Boys: D'Movie' Trailer | Anglophenia | BBC ...

So it's not just womens panties on clotheslines that you are after. Each to their own wee man. Live your life. Good of you to share your secret with the forum. The pic of you in your underwear is shown below. Sexy or what..... 

New-Pictures-Men-Knickers-2.jpg

Edited by St.Ricky

25 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

So it's not just womens panties on clotheslines that you are after. Each to their own wee man. Live your life. Good of you to share your secret with the forum. The pic of you in your underwear is shown below. Sexy or what..... 

New-Pictures-Men-Knickers-2.jpg

Ricky, if you want people to respond to your wind-ups you need to make them funny and/or clever.

Honestly, I don't know why you bother with this stuff. You are clearly not one of God's funny people.

51 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Ricky, if you want people to respond to your wind-ups you need to make them funny and/or clever.

Honestly, I don't know why you bother with this stuff. You are clearly not one of God's funny people.

Makes three of us. You, Wee Boaby and me.