Films to watch on Amazon Prime and Netflix

W6er

If anyone has missed Snowfall on the BBC I player (it's an FX production), all three seasons (10 episodes each)are available. It is excellent.

It's about the rise of crack cocaine in 1980's Los Angeles, with the main focus on how a young dealer's life develops as a result.

Probably best not watched with the kids about.

Just about to watch the last episode of season three.

Jett on SKY 1 was great too. Again, best not watched with kids about.

Edited by FTOF

On 3/25/2020 at 10:35 AM, BuddieinEK said:

Season 6 of Bosch is set to premiere in April. emoji41.png

I've watched 4 of the 5 seasons so far. I love the way they sometimes set up anticipation of things then underwhelm you with the outcome. The random shooter on the bike and how that ends for instance. I'm a bit disappointed that not once has he said, "I'm Bosch, you know. The drill". though.

Pennyworth - it's available on Prime's Starzplay channel, to which I subscribed for just £3 for 3 months. I have only watched the first episode, but it was brilliant.

It's the story of how Bruce Wayne's father became acquainted with his butler, Alfred Pennyworth. It's set in an alternative London in the 1960s. Pennyworth is ex-SAS. As one might expect given the creators' backgrounds, the villains appear to be a fascist group plotting a coup. I'm not a great fan of superheroes, but Batman is possibly the singular exception. I really enjoyed Joker, and this looks promising. Highly recommended, though bear in mind I have only seen the pilot.

18 minutes ago, W6er said:

Pennyworth - it's available on Prime's Starzplay channel, to which I subscribed for just £3 for 3 months. I have only watched the first episode, but it was brilliant.

It's the story of how Bruce Wayne's father became acquainted with his butler, Alfred Pennyworth. It's set in an alternative London in the 1960s. Pennyworth is ex-SAS. As one might expect given the creators' backgrounds, the villains appear to be a fascist group plotting a coup. I'm not a great fan of superheroes, but Batman is possibly the singular exception. I really enjoyed Joker, and this looks promising. Highly recommended, though bear in mind I have only seen the pilot.

I've seen the full series. Some of the characters are way over the top. Paloma Faith and Jason Fleming as Bet Sykes and Lord Hardwood respectively, for example. A reasonable watch none the less.

I'd watched the first 2 episodes of the much discussed Tiger King last weekend and was underwhelmed TBH. 

Despite this, due to boredom, I watched another 3 episodes last night.

Still underwhelmed.

The USA is full of nutters like the main charterers, albeit they are probably near the extreme end of the scale.

What a messed up country the USA is. :rolleyes:

58 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

For them as wants to watch an End-Times-Drama the TV adaption of Ben Elton's Stark is available on Netflix, being stuck in the noughties I've decided to dig out my DVD instead.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108215/

It's only when you dig out a DVD to watch, that you realise what a palaver it is to watch programmes on DVD, compared to streaming.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:09 PM, stlucifer said:

I've seen the full series. Some of the characters are way over the top. Paloma Faith and Jason Fleming as Bet Sykes and Lord Hardwood respectively, for example. A reasonable watch none the less.

I've watched up until episode five, and I actually think it's one of the best series I have seen for a long, long time. It's very dark. Interestingly, I think it's very anti-British, or at least anti-English. The way the monarchy is portrayed as being party to Machiavellian governance and Christianity is obviously still very important, which one is reminded of during acts of brutality, e.g.

815016171_Pennyworth-Episode3.jpg.6a5cb6751c3dd1367dd6495cdcf21fbf.jpg

The torture scene above features the cross. Also at the end of episode two, when Pennyworth’s mother seems to take great satisfaction at the televised execution and wishes for the condemned to spend eternity in hell, whilst twiddling her crucifix. There's definitely a political agenda, similar to V For Vendetta.

Edited by W6er

41 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Season six of Bosch now available in full on Amazon Prime.

Onto episode three now... Well up to usual standard. emoji41.png

Got it a few days ago. I've not yet started watching though. I'm watching Lincoln Rhyme and In the dark atm.