Your Favourite St Mirren Television Highlights

Football highlights have been broadcast since the 1950's , I'm guessing via Scotsport, Sportsreel and latterly Sportscene.

What Saints highlighted matches would you like to see again ?

Up until the 1980's they were very few provincial club matches broadcast as the Telly dudes concentrated on the two sectarian clubs almost every week.

Once we were in the 1990's there was stacks of coverage even in Division One with the great Football First.

I have managed to remember three where the highlights were broadcast on a Saturday night and would love to see full highlights again.

29/4/72  Dumbarton 1  St Mirren 2   Promotion battle.

29/1/77   St Mirren 4  Dundee Unitit 1  Scottish Cup

26/2/77  Motherwell v St Mirren  Scottish Cup  ( would love to see the whole match just to see that first half again )

What would everybody else like to see again ? Surely the TV Companies must still have these highlights from through the decades.  Get them all on a Website and let

us see them again.

Quite a few Saints TV highlights matches from the the 1990's are easy to find and watch. 

Countless times I have watched clips from the Millennium Season especially the class finish to the Game at Starks Park and also the April match at Somerset then the Title clincher a week later. 

Funnily enough the drubbing by Caley Thistle had a certain deal of warmth to it. 

A fantastic day out, invasion of the pitch and a top class speech from Lord Thomas Hendrie. 

Can watch all of the above over and over again. 

Wish List

St Mirren v Dundee Utd 2000 where Gillies scores in 95th to win 2-1- gave us false hope

St Mirren 4 Old Rangers 1, think 1981

St Mirren 5 Fulham 3, with Best and Marsh 5-3- 1979

St Mirren 3 Celtic 3 - 77...…. one of the greatest games ever with us going down to 10 men, going 3-1 up and the Sellick scoring 2 late goals. Both sets of fans applauded  players on a miserable night

St Mirren 8 Bankies 0 with their new keeper having his debut

And of course 1-1 draw with Liverpool- biggest crowd I saw personally at Love Street

Edited by DougJamie

3 hours ago, Dickson said:

A lot of footage was wiped from early on. 

Going back years now but when I was on the athletics club committee there was a guy there who was an editor at the BBC. He's since moved on to BT. Back then he was able to go through BBC footage of the Moscow Olympics and pulled out some never seen before footage of Allan Wells winning the 100m gold - there was footage from the holding section and from different angles on the track. He compiled the footage and showed it on a night when Allan Wells had come to present the kids with their medals and trophies for their achievements that year. It would be fantastic if the TV Companies set about putting their archives online. I'd even consider subscribing to such a service. Great idea Shull. 

Anyway 

I think I'd love to show my kids the footage of the Scottish Cup Semi Final replay against Rangers at Hampden Park - the night we wuz definitely robbed. I thought St Mirren played some brilliant football that night and were just a bit too profligate in their finishing. 

I don't know if the highlights exist but I'd also love to watch Frank McGarvey taking a dive when Hamish McAlpine got frustrated at his repeated attempts to block his kick out - just to see if it was really as bad as I remember it. 

The replay wasn't on the telly

Dundee Utd had a media page where most of our games against them in the 80s is on it

A lot of footage was wiped from early on. 
Going back years now but when I was on the athletics club committee there was a guy there who was an editor at the BBC. He's since moved on to BT. Back then he was able to go through BBC footage of the Moscow Olympics and pulled out some never seen before footage of Allan Wells winning the 100m gold - there was footage from the holding section and from different angles on the track. He compiled the footage and showed it on a night when Allan Wells had come to present the kids with their medals and trophies for their achievements that year. It would be fantastic if the TV Companies set about putting their archives online. I'd even consider subscribing to such a service. Great idea Shull. 
Anyway 
I think I'd love to show my kids the footage of the Scottish Cup Semi Final replay against Rangers at Hampden Park - the night we wuz definitely robbed. I thought St Mirren played some brilliant football that night and were just a bit too profligate in their finishing. 
I don't know if the highlights exist but I'd also love to watch Frank McGarvey taking a dive when Hamish McAlpine got frustrated at his repeated attempts to block his kick out - just to see if it was really as bad as I remember it. 
Highlights exist for mcalpine, incident.

2 hours ago, Dickson said:

Found it

Funny as f**k. McGarvey actually stands on McAlpines foot first. 

Clear penalty 

Well done Linesman 

Great watching the Love Street End erupt with joy.