Greatest Goal Ever?

Bud the Baker

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/live/2020/mar/28/scotland-v-netherlands-world-cup-1978-first-group-stage-live

66 min: Scotland have the Dutch firmly on the back clog. Can they strike while the iron is hot?

49s ago 16:26

GOL! GOL!!! GOOOOOOOL!!!!! Escocia 3-1 Holanda!!!!!!! (Gemmill 69)

Kennedy scoops the ball down the right to Dalglish, who picks up possession ahead of Poortvliet on the right-hand edge of the area. He steps out towards the wing and makes space to turn, then looks to burst into a gap between Poortvliet on his right and Jansen to his left. He manages that, but Krol slides in to tackle. The ball breaks back up the wing to Gemmill, who takes six of the best touches you’ll ever see in a World Cup finals! One: to nip the loose ball inside and away from Jansen. Two: he turns and faces goal. Three: he nudges the ball past Krol, desperately sliding out but destined to skitter hysterically upfield and out of the picture. Four: he prods the ball into the area past another hapless slide from Poortvliet. Five: he takes a touch to allow himself to open his body up to goal. Six: he caresses an exquisite chip into the middle of the goal, over the hopeless spread of Jongbloed. Wow! Gemmill is entitled to race 16 times around the stadium after that, but satisfies himself with a few fist clenches and a jog back to the halfway line. That’s a thing of artistic beauty, made better by poor Jongbloed’s position during the money shot: splayed chest down on the turf, but looking up and backwards in impotent distress as the ball sailed into the net.

70 min: That was arguably the greatest goal ever scored at a World Cup! What a slalom! What genius! But this is Scotland, and so inevitably it’s nearly followed up by the most laughable own goal of all time. Jansen goes on a lumber down the right and wins a free kick, shoulder-charged with unnecessary force by Buchan. Boskamp takes the set piece, whipping the ball through the six-yard area. Rough flaps. Kennedy connects at the far post, knocking a downward header behind for a corner – but only missing the left-hand post by an inch or so! It’s a small wonder that didn’t find the net. He was under no pressure whatsoever! Nothing comes from the resulting corner, but dearie me.

82 min: Scotland are bereft. Emotionally drained. There’s nothing left in the tank. A nice simple 0-3 defeat would have been much easier to process.

90 min: Donachie finds Hartford down the left. Hartford whips the ball to the far post, where Forsyth, unchallenged and six yards out, heads over when it was far, far easier to score. He picks himself up from the turf, his body heavy with depression. That should have been Scotland’s fourth. Not that it matters a jot, because the Scots would still have required another after that, and before Jongbloed can take the goal kick ...

FULL TIME: Scotland 3-2 Holland

Scotland are out of the 1978 World Cup. This year’s hipsters’ choice fall at the first hurdle. Oh Ally. Here comes darkness, our old friend.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Rod Stewart – Ole Ola Lyrics

When the blue shirts run out in Argentina
Our hearts will be beating like a drum
And your nerves are so shattered you can't take it
Automatically you reach out for the run
But there really isn't any cause for panic
Ally's army had it all under control
It's not merely speculations
It's not just imagination
To bring the World Cup home is Scotland's goal

Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar.
Ole ola, Ole ola

We got Dalglish, Buchan and Macari
We got Archie Gemmill, Johnstone and Mcqueen
We got Big Joe Jordan waiting at the middle and the best support
This world has ever seen
We got Donachie, Rioch and Don Masson
We got Andy Gray and Asa Hartford too
And with this lethal combination it's a fair estimation
That the World Cup will be ours the end of June

Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar
Ole ola, Ole ola

Oh, Brazil, this time I don't think so
Holland without Cruyff just ain't the same
Germany will, we feel, be a challenge
The Italians can still play the game
But there's really only one team in it
We'll be singing as we'll get off of the plane
We are bound for Buenos Aires, we don't care just what they tell us
Only wish we had Danny Mcgrain

Ole ola, Ole ola

Willie Johnstone, then it goes to Dalglish. Lou Macari supporting. There's on opener, defended by Buchan, there's Kenny Dalglish in there. Oh, what a goal! Oh, yes! That does it!

They'll be singing up there in Aberdeen and Dundee
Glasgow will be reaching fever pitch
Cause with a nation of five million we're gonna really turn the heat on
Cause we invented football anyway

Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar. Yes, we are
Ole ola, Ole ola
Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar All together now:
Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar. One more
Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar Yes, we are
Ole ola, Ole ola
We're gonna bring that World Cup back from over thar. I know, I know
Ole ola, Ole ola
Ole ola, Ole ola

I'm sure this will expand to other teams :rolleyes: but to keep it on a Scotland theme.............................Scotland 2-1 Czechoslovakia

1973, in them days we were in a 3 team group, went 0-1 down after a horrific blunder by Hunter, the equaliser by Holton, I can still remember as clear as day THEN Jordan with a real header.

100,000 crowd at Hampden, jeezo, goosebumps just watching this again. 

Seen better goals but the drama, the reaction from the crowd and what it meant for the country, just magic.

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm sure this will expand to other teams :rolleyes: but to keep it on a Scotland theme.............................Scotland 2-1 Czechoslovakia

1973, in them days we were in a 3 team group, went 0-1 down after a horrific blunder by Hunter, the equaliser by Holton, I can still remember as clear as day THEN Jordan with a real header.

Seen better goals but the drama, the reaction from the crowd and what it meant for the country, just magic.

You dont see enough diving headers these days. 

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

This was the most emotional match I ever remember being at. Huge crowd all going absolutely mental. Fabulous stuff.