Plans for next season

I am hearing on the grapevine that the plans for next season involve the following.

14 team Premiership. A championship and separate North and South League 1s.

The Premiership split after 24 games into a top 8 (SPL1) and a bottom 6 with the bottom 6 being joined by the top 2 in the Championship to form SPL2. Trophy for the winners of SPL2..

Home and away matches post split. 

I suggested the regionalised lower leagues myself some time ago, but I hate the proposals outlined above. I think there should be a 14 team league with a split - the top six Premier sides playing one another home and away, and the bottom eight do the same. The top six sides are likely to progress in the cups and will often have the distraction of European games too, so playing fewer games will arguably benefit them. 

14 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Regardless of what you think of the plans in general, the massive fly in the ointment/elephant in the room is the mention of colt teams.

Quite frankly, f**k that!!!

They're probably hoping that everyone is so grateful to get football back in any form, that it's a small price to pay.

8 minutes ago, Dickson said:

Utter bonkers. 

There is no point in going to any of the first 26 matches because they become no more than pre season friendlies to decide whether your next 14 games are going to be dull as hell in the top league, or a bit more exciting in the second tier. Points for the first 26 games are going to be annulled anyway and there is the ridiculous prospect of a team that wins their first 26 matches ending up being bottom of their league, and a team which lost all of their first 26 matches winning the league! An utter joke of a league set up. Hopefully football chairmen will boot this into touch in a far more decisive way than the fannies that were in charge back in 2012 did. 

I'm assuming that the top tier's point won't be annulled. However 'SPL 2' will surely have to start with 0 points.

The Leagues & Play Offs are absolutely fine the way they are.

Only 3 changes need...........

Sevco & Celtic booted tae feck.

Admission Prices slashed.

Players wages decreased by huge amounts.

SOCCER SORTIT

Too complicated - 3 divisions of 14, a 7/7 split after 26 games (38 games) with 1 automatic relegation spot and 1 play-off spot from the top 2 divisions 

Unsure about demotion from the bottom division - how will teams like Berwick/Brechin fare being cast into the wilderness after 60/70 years of guaranteed mediocrity and how will clubs like Cove Rangers cope if they yo-yo back down although having said this I rarely look at Division 2 and won't lose any sleep about the points raised in this para! :snore

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

Too complicated - 3 divisions of 14, a 7/7 split after 26 games (38 games) with 1 automatic relegation spot and 1 play-off spot from the top 2 divisions 

Unsure about demotion from the bottom division - how will teams like Berwick/Brechin fare being cast into the wilderness after 60/70 years of guaranteed mediocrity and how will clubs like Cove Rangers cope if they yo-yo back down although having said this I rarely look at Division 2 and won't lose any sleep about the points raised in this para! :snore

7/7 split means no games for one team every round of fixtures.

26 minutes ago, W6er said:

7/7 split means no games for one team every round of fixtures.

Yup, are you're skirting around the issue of one team potentially being left in a situation of not playing in the last round of fixtures and being vulnerable to a "fixed" result adversely affecting them, I'll not deny that's a possibility but the risk could be minimized by having the teams in 7th & 8th being free the final round of games or you could have a 6/8 split.

My opinion is that a 3x14 set-up would be better for Saints than the current system although with the split in the top division and promotion play-off spots in the lower ones there aren't too many "dead" games. 

Ultimately there is no set-up that will please everyone and even I have accepted (albeit reluctantly) that 4 OF games is inevitable and better than a large league (18 teams?) that would be uncompetitive and that would leave us as a safe bottom-to-mid table team most seasons - say what you like but we don't have too many boring seasons! 

Edited by Bud the Baker

I think the recent distribution of monies just shows how serious the SPFL takes its membership bar the ugly sisters. As the Stenhousemuir Chairman said " If the top teams take just a 20% cut then it would ensure that all survive...…….."

The beautiful game- aye right- Montrose agree to 50% cut but Hearts mercenaries fight it    

We should have a top league of 18 / play each other twice - 34 games- Have additional games for top 6 - and have play offs at Hampden re promotion. Present system is not fair...………….. bottom 2 of top league go down/ 15th and 16th go into play off v 3rd and 4th of SPFL 2.

Only have 36 League teams but help and invest more into Lower Leagues- and again keep promotion to SPFL 2

If Glasgow cnuts dont like it feck off to England with our blessing- our game wont die as many kids will start supporting other teams  ,

19 hours ago, Dickson said:

This is beginning to sound like the kind of shite Stewart Gilmour was mooting back in 2012 where the first half of the season was rendered redundant by everyone going back to zero points for the post split games. If that is where Scottish Football is going we'd be as well putting it on a doomsday countdown clock. 

Sounds like it to me. I am in favour of bigger top flights but if this is the best they can come up with just because they no doubt want to safeguard the 4 bigot derbies, no thanks. 

League needs real, proactive, fresh reconstruction. Not a watered down measure that says sod it pretty much every other team. They could even mirror the Romanian league, that would keep the four bigot games and not void fixtures. Even better, look at some 16/ 18 team structures and safeguard that fixture from overplaying and getting boring. Something we have 100% seen in recent decades. 

If St Mirren or Hamilton or Ross County were bottom of the League would there be a proposal to change the setup? I don't think so. This proposal is because it is Hearts. Relegate them, Utd come up and the play-off is between Hamilton and ICT as the League positions show. Leave as is.

I think the fairest solution is to just pick the season up from where it left off whenever we can get back to football again.

We have 8 games to go. We just play them first then immediately start the new season. We can fit the extra 8 games in easily over the year by having extra mid week games and no winter break. Its obviously not a 100% perfect situation but nothing is. IMO this does the least damage.

It would be very harsh relegating a team with 8 games to go.

Edited by LargsBud