Plans for next season

2 hours ago, Genius said:

Completely agree with your final sentence but all that says to me is there is absolutely no reason for this incomprehensible and indecent rush to finish the current season. UEFA have announced they intend to complete this seasons European Champions League and Euro Cup - so why the rush to put this season to bed in Scotland? 

There is nothing to stop the SPFL playing out minimum levels of prize money for each division to help member clubs out, whilst keeping the rest back for paying out once the season concludes. The transfer window is a complete red herring. Historically players changed clubs at any point in a league season - so when football eventually resumes clubs can easily recruit their squads to finish the season off. Football chairmen who think they are going to be recruiting players for an August start to the season are living in cuckoo land. What agent in their right mind is going to let his client sign for a club that offers £8k per week, but wants him to take furlough until matches start?

At the moment there is. And this has been belatedly accepted by the rangers as they attempt to stop celtic winning the title. They changed mid stream to asking that clubs request loans from the SPFL.  The SPFL have a reasonably good sponsorship deal for next season. Hence why they want to ensure the 2020-21 season starts as soon as possible. The current deal runs out at the end of this season. If they were to make this season null and void there could be a demand from the current sponsors for return of most, if not all, of the moneys given. This would be another reason for not dishing out lolly now without deciding the season is complete. The only way to get the best of both worlds is to conclude this season and hope to start next season as soon as practical. Even a self professing genius with no brain must see this.

20 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

At the moment there is. And this has been belatedly accepted by the rangers as they attempt to stop celtic winning the title. They changed mid stream to asking that clubs request loans from the SPFL.  The SPFL have a reasonably good sponsorship deal for next season. Hence why they want to ensure the 2020-21 season starts as soon as possible. The current deal runs out at the end of this season. If they were to make this season null and void there could be a demand from the current sponsors for return of most, if not all, of the moneys given. This would be another reason for not dishing out lolly now without deciding the season is complete. The only way to get the best of both worlds is to conclude this season and hope to start next season as soon as practical. Even a self professing genius with no brain must see this.

I understood that the SPFL don't have a sponsor in place for next season?

5 hours ago, Yflab said:

Any bets being taken that this new alias is a Dickson one?

It could be pretty much anyone of here, to be fair.

The club needs money to survive. I will be purchasing two with the full knowledge that the new season is likely to be shorter, if there is a 20/21 season at all. I genuinely believe next season will likely consist of 26 games - home and away to each of the other thirteen sides in the league. 

3 hours ago, Genius said:

1. I think that's a complete red herring. 

2. Look, everyone is saying that when it's safe to resume we would need a 6 week pre season to get players up to fitness. Why would clubs want to have players on their books that aren't on furlough before then? 

1. It's a red herring which prompted the current debacle, because it's what most clubs want.

2. I really don't understand what your second sentence means - are you saying you'd want to restart the current season (I see from your reply to "beyond our ken" you are) which would mean restarting in mid-July running through to mid-September or later with the present squad forcibly extending some contracts and presumably it would mean you'd have to rehire everyone at their present salaries (?) all at a time with little to no income coming in and then when you do finish the 19/20 season (are play-offs included?) you'll need another transfer window (6 weeks to do the business and gel squads) before you can start the 20/21 season - so again at the earliest a November start. 

No-one is saying there is an ideal solution but ending the season now seems the best solution to me and from what I can see the vast majority too as it allows planning for what will be a difficult few years to begin. 

That is the reality of the situation. Clubs selling season tickets for a season that won't start are well out of order IMO. We shouldn't be ending this football season either. If the sport is to maintain credibility the season should be completed without any time constraints. 
Most clubs will have players out of contract during June with some clubs losing players in early June. Forfar will have only 5 players in June and Dumbarton and Stranraer 0 players.

Come June St Mirren, with the best keeper and second best defence in the bottom six, will have on-loan players returning to their clubs and Vaclav offski. So we have one defender left out of 5.

So we compete in a League and after 30 games the team at the bottom with the 3rd biggest budget can go out and buy a new squad and save themselves over the remaining 8 games while we lose 4 out of 5 of our better defence?

Bollocks to that. Teams had 30 games to prove themselves and not start the process again with a new squad and only 8 games.

Get doon Herts.

19 minutes ago, Genius said:

1. What appeared to prompt the current debacle was nothing to do with player contracts. It had a great deal more with a desperate grab for cash which the SPFL won't release without clubs voting to end the season early. I am totally against the SPFL proposal as it was put to the clubs. You simply cannot run a 38 game title race and call it at the 29/.30 game mark. You either have to void the season - which brings about the possibility of all manner of refunds and legal challenges, or you play the season out whenever it is safe to do so. 

2. I don't think there is any prospect at all of any football being played before October at the earliest. In China they ended their lock down a week, maybe two weeks ago and already they are seeing the number of cases of Covid-19 increasing again with speculation that it's the start of a second wave. If our governments end the lock down they are already saying it will be a slow phased return to normality. The last thing that is going to come back will be large concerts and big gatherings at football matches. As for players I have to ask you why you think clubs would be forced to extend contracts? Nothing could be further from the truth - in fact any football chairman at the moment that is looking to sign players to their squad is an utter moron. What is more likely to happen in my opinion is that players with contracts will most likely be put on furlough - if they haven't been already - and clubs will be able to get rid of those who are out of contract in the full knowledge that the game will be absolutely awash with unemployed out of contract professional footballers whenever a pre season does eventually start regardless of whether we are within our outwith a transfer window. 

3. There is an ideal solution. It's what I am outlining. Play the season to a conclusion whenever it is safe to do so. It saves legal arguments and it upholds Sporting Integrity. Anything else just opens a can of worms. 

1. The resolution of player's contracts and therefore the ability to plan ahead was a major factor in the current debacle, although I accept not the only one. You clearly can call it quits at 29/30 games (33 clubs voted to do so) and even the clubs that voted against it other than Rangers :rolleyes: seem to be more interested in reconstruction than upholding your definition of "sporting integrity" - Hearts are already working on reconstruction plans which they intend to submit shortly. 

2. I was going on an earlier reports of June 10 + 6 weeks "pre-season" as a restart date but perhaps you're correct about October being safer. If you don't finish the current season with the same squads from the end of the January window  so you'd have to extend players contracts or your claims of "sporting integrity" would be invalid. 

3. There is no ideal solution.

PS - Nice to see you've retained your empathy "awash with unemployed out of contract professional footballers whenever a pre season does eventually start" - classy as ever Stu!  :byebye

Dickson is fair scaling down the operation of which organisation he tries to take down as the years go by. He gets progressively smaller with every attempt. 

2002-2016 St Mirren FC

2017-2019 - SMISA/buy the buds

2020 - Blackandwhitearmy

2021 - The 1877 club

2022 - The panda club

2023 - Stabs the airdome with a pair of scissors. 

Well, according to the Record :rolleyes: we should be expecting white smoke from Hampden today...

The deals Dundee chief John Nelms was trying to strike over SPFL vote

The Dens Park chief is now expected to vote yes on the resolution to end the season

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/deals-dundee-chief-jon-nelms-21861369

Um if the Record has got it right :rolleyes: then a friendly against(presumably) Sellick & shafting Utd. for a few quid seems a pretty poor return for being a "kingmaker". 

Edited by Bud the Baker

That rag is improving...  just 15years too late\slow.

This was in it this morning:

"OPINION SPFL voting farce proves Rangers claim that something's rotten in the running of Scottish football – Hotline"

EBTs, Five way agreement, allowing totally new clumpanies to leapfrog other established clubs into the league, letting an ineligible club compete in Europe....? Etc..

The truth will out.  :rolleyes:

Whilst Dundee are taking the piss here, it again demonstrates how un water tight the regulations are in our stupid game

Thousands dying daily , yet the petty squabbling's go on and on

Fecking call it SPFL,

The only deliberation should be the 160m Sky deal, and whether they will settle for less bigotry and sectarianism...………. that will decide any league reconstruction …

We have 9th- Pay up  

44 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Wonder why Dundee have changed their mind, SPFL up to no good as usual maybe. Reconstruction for a yes vote. emoji848.png

It's not certain that they have. I think they're trying to hold the SPFL to ransom. I can't see them voting yes if they won't end up in the top flight.

It's not certain that they have. I think they're trying to hold the SPFL to ransom. I can't see them voting yes if they won't end up in the top flight.

Rumours & reporting said they voted no on Friday then withdrew it. Don’t know what’s going on TBH, total farce as usual.