Plans for next season

3 hours ago, munoz said:

The current situation could be a great opportunity of improving the format of the leagues,  and get away from the familiarity of playing a team up to 6 or even 7 times in one season. Whether the top flight clubs want to share their wealth with other teams in a expanded league remains to be seen.

Not going to happen. The TV companies are determined to have four Sevco, Celtic league games a season. Which I have said on many occasions, the SPFL CANNOT guarantee while keeping the integrity, (hahahahahahaha), of the Premiership intact. No matter how slim a chance there is it's still possible for them to be separated at the split.

21 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Bottom line is beneath her waffle it's all just self interest in the belief that Hearts wouldn't be so bad two seasons in a row, everyone can see that now & hopefully she's shot herself in the foot with this statement - I personally hope our BoD would not sanction any reconstruction that was for less than 5 years.
Reconstruction shouldn't have any time limit on it.
We change the leagues and keep it that way until a new proposal to improve comes along.
1 or 2 years is a joke though, you need to give the new set up time to bed in.

If this had been Saints in bottom position, would we accept relegation under these circumstances?

I would definitely be prepared to accept it. Wouldn't be happy about it. It's a shite state of affairs.

But I would accept it for the good of the game at a moment like this.

Budge needs to show a bit more grace and dignity here. People are dying in their thousands because of this virus and all she can think about is money. Two other clubs in arguably worse positions than Hearts have suffered this fate with more dignity.

Having said that, if she can persuade the other clubs to vote for her proposal then I'd be OK with that. I just want to hear her STFU about her grievance though.

Edited by oaksoft

3 hours ago, munoz said:

I get what you're saying,  but a temporary change to structure just reeks of self interest from Budge & Hearts. 

I'm definitely for a bigger league but it has to be for the correct reasons and not just for a couple of seasons. 

Theres nothing wrong or surprising with Hearts looking after their own interest. Every club would do the same. In fact Budge as CEO of the company legally needs to do whats best for the company and the shareholders so theres no issue here.

I can't see the other clubs also agreeing. I'm not a fan of doing league reconstruction so I hope it doesn't happen. It would dilute our prize pot and mean more meaningless games. 

4 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Theres nothing wrong or surprising with Hearts looking after their own interest. Every club would do the same. In fact Budge as CEO of the company legally needs to do whats best for the company and the shareholders so theres no issue here.

I can't see the other clubs also agreeing. I'm not a fan of doing league reconstruction so I hope it doesn't happen. It would dilute our prize pot and mean more meaningless games. 

Meaningless games in which more youth players could be given a chance to come through. Right now there is far too much pressure on clubs to stay up because of the financial implications of relegation,  I believe a bigger league might ease that for our club.

2 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

It's not looking after there own interests that irks, or surprises me, it's the clear change from it being about integrity to self interest in less than 24 hours.

Like I've said previously I'd prefer 3 divisions of 14, but for say 5 years and then a review - a one season expansion is no benefit to us.

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

I don't have a problem with that.

What I do have a problem is that Hearts are being given more of a chance to look after their own interests than some other clubs would get.

Do you think we would have been given the opportunity to lead a task force investigating the option of league reconstruction, if we were bottom?

Edited by FTOF

Guest TPAFKATS
The only club who appear to not have voted in self interest is East Fife who released a well worded statement explaining why they voted the way they did.

2 hours ago, shull said:

And deserve all thy get.

If season ticket prices are frozen and the league is expanded to 14, then they will be getting to extra games free. :)

I have offered to buy my girlfriend's son a juvenile ST for next season, the only problem is he supports Rangers! I reckon he could be converted, though. He's going to think about it, if not I might upgrade to padded seats! LOL

26 minutes ago, W6er said:

If season ticket prices are frozen and the league is expanded to 14, then they will be getting to extra games free. :)

I have offered to buy my girlfriend's son a juvenile ST for next season, the only problem is he supports Rangers! I reckon he could be converted, though. He's going to think about it, if not I might upgrade to padded seats! LOL

Padded fecking cells you all need.

16 hours ago, munoz said:

Meaningless games in which more youth players could be given a chance to come through. Right now there is far too much pressure on clubs to stay up because of the financial implications of relegation,  I believe a bigger league might ease that for our club.

I agree. And I think there might be another side benefit in that teams might play with less fear of losing so you may just end up with a better brand of football. Easier on the eye.

44 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I agree. And I think there might be another side benefit in that teams might play with less fear of losing so you may just end up with a better brand of football. Easier on the eye.

You, and @munoz, might be right.

The fact these games are meaningless will, IMO, show in attendances, dropping quite a bit.

Look at the numbers we got for the last few games and the play off's last season?

More meaningful games will be more appealing than meaningless games, IMO. 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You, and @munoz, might be right.

The fact these games are meaningless will, IMO, show in attendances, dropping quite a bit.

Look at the numbers we got for the last few games and the play off's last season?

More meaningful games will be more appealing than meaningless games, IMO. 

Totally agree. Fans go to games that mean something. How many would attend Hamilton v ICT if they were both mid table and nothing to play for? The 18 team League was shite after January when teams levelled out and everyone knew the couple of teams in the frame to be champions or be relegated and the rest were just playing out time.

20 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Budge's current stance is all the more galling when you remember this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36999758

Hearts owner Ann Budge: Scotland has too many senior clubs

I wonder if anyone on the "task force" will remind her of this statement, when she is reeking of desperation in order to save her stinking shithole of a club from relegation.

SPFL reconstruction taskforce  
Club Member
Airdrieonians Paul Hetherington
Ayr United Lachlan Cameron
Cove Rangers John Sheran
Dundee John Nelms
Edinburgh City Jim Brown
Falkirk Gary Deans
Greenock Morton David Mackinnon
Hamilton Academical Les Gray (joint chair)
Heart of Midlothian Ann Budge (joint chair)
Hibernian Leeann Dempster
Partick Thistle Jacqui Low
Queen's Park Gerry Crawley
Raith Rovers Bill Stark
Highland League Rod Houston
Lowland League George Fraser

53 minutes ago, Sonny said:

Totally agree. Fans go to games that mean something. How many would attend Hamilton v ICT if they were both mid table and nothing to play for? The 18 team League was shite after January when teams levelled out and everyone knew the couple of teams in the frame to be champions or be relegated and the rest were just playing out time.

Virtually every top league in the world consists of umpteen teams. They all seem to be able to cope with the potential for “meaningless” games. Why should our league be any different.

I do speak though as a daft old romantic who still believes that there is no such thing as a meaningless game.