Plans for next season

The plan for next season that I would really like to see is Kibble’s

thunking they had bought a share of a football club they could well have just bought a liability 

has the sale of the shares gone through yet?  If not, how likely is it that it will be completed?

or if they are committed and saints are one of a slew of clubs to go under, how will they act?

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I’d have thought that if you are exposed to “hundreds” of people at your work, that would put you at a higher risk of contracting Covid and therefore make you even more inclined to protect your kids by keeping away from them. 

Ffs I do keep away from them, what I want to know is when I can fecking see them. Gimme some-kind of hope, not negative pish I’m sick of hearing about. 

6 hours ago, munoz said:

So youve got the Hamilton chairman Gray in favour of a long term expansion and Budge looking for temporary change. 

Tbh, I cant see any proposal getting the green light. 

Budge will take long-term expansion over relegation. There's room for compromise. Personally, I'm in favour of a 14 team league with a 6/8 split.

Budge will take long-term expansion over relegation. There's room for compromise. Personally, I'm in favour of a 14 team league with a 6/8 split.
When did she say that? At the weekend she only stated that she wanted a short-term fix (BBC radio and on-line article). Les Gray confirmed her position on Sunday. If her position has changed what is the source?

6 minutes ago, Sonny said:
39 minutes ago, W6er said:

When did she say that? At the weekend she only stated that she wanted a short-term fix (BBC radio and on-line article). Les Gray confirmed her position on Sunday. If her position has changed what is the source?

I read W6er’s post as meaning her position will change if the only options on the table are permanent change or relegation, rather than that her position has changed. 

18 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I read W6er’s post as meaning her position will change if the only options on the table are permanent change or relegation, rather than that her position has changed. 

Exactly. Relegation, coupled with the loss of revenue arising from the premature end to the season, will force her hand. If offered permanent expansion I cannot see her saying "no thank you, we'd rather be relegated." If it's clear to her that  temporary expansion is unlikely to succeed, then she'll go with permanent expansion. I don't see any alternatives.

Guest TPAFKATS
Burds eh?
This could lead to me cancelling my £25 standing order!!
On a serious note, it seems like a bit of an unnecessary statement at the moment. I’d be keeping statements like that for a time when we’re even remotely talking about football coming back. 
She was asked about it during her daily update. It wasn't a statement.

Guest TPAFKATS
It looks like Motherwell will be consulting any proposals regarding league reconstruction with their supporters.
https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2020/04/20/an-update-from-the-chairman/
Fan owned club consulting their fans.
Smisa would be one way for us to do similar. Club could also contact those season ticket holders who have given email addresses.

13 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Fan owned club consulting their fans.
Smisa would be one way for us to do similar. Club could also contact those season ticket holders who have given email addresses.

We are not fan owned at this moment so no reason to consult Smisa or season ticket holders.

The Board of Directors are appointed to make decisions.

Why the rush to get a decision since IMO there will be no football played for a long time.

Ann Budge just want's to get her way while the "iron is hot".

13 hours ago, DougJamie said:

This is the woman who said 42 clubs was double what was required.

I think we need to forget the motivation here and look at the opportunity. The Premiership is too small and we need a wider base. How long have we been discussing this.

Open it up, IMHO to 16 , trial it, and hopefully when and if we get back to some sort of normality, we can then gauge if it is better.

We cant keep this 2 club mentality, its killing our game, stopping development of home grown players …..

Cant stand the woman, but I do hope we see change...…….. 

What are the benefits of expanding the league?

I don't get why people think this is going to make anything better. The best seasons I've had supporting St Mirren have been the 3 seasons I've seen us win the first division. Nothing else comes close (not even the league cup season). Fewer bigger leagues means fans have fewer opportunities to  see their team win titles and increases the number of meaningless games at the same time. 

Edited by LargsBud

7 hours ago, LargsBud said:

What are the benefits of expanding the league?

I don't get why people think this is going to make anything better. The best seasons I've had supporting St Mirren have been the 3 seasons I've seen us win the first division. Nothing else comes close (not even the league cup season). Fewer bigger leagues means fans have fewer opportunities to  see their team win titles and increases the number of meaningless games at the same time. 

For us - we're a yoyo team in the current situation, in a 14 team top division we'd be slightly less so.

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Quite a few actually enjoy us being in the lower league.

Promotion seasons are good as was JRs Great Escape - but more often it's the extreeeeeme mediocrity of Coughlin, Murray & Rae. Both of our major Cup wins have come while we were in the top division and I wouldn't trade these for the Challenge Cup experience (even accepting our Colts did no' bad this season).

Just now, Bud the Baker said:

Promotion seasons are good as was JRs Great Escape - but more often it's the extreeeeeme mediocrity of Coughlin, Murray & Rae. Both of our major Cup wins have come while we were in the top division and I wouldn't trade these for the Challenge Cup experience (even accepting our Colts did no' bad this season).

I'm not in that boat, but plenty seem to enjoy the lower league games.

Livi announce their reconstruction plan-

A permanent 14-10-10-10 with a 6/8 split in the top flight, 2 up, 2down with a play-off spot between 12th in Premiership & 3rd in Championship...

Livingston also insist that the only fair way to go about this is to make it a permanent reconstruction and not have it as a temporary measure as has been suggested in recent days.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/livingston-outline-spfl-reconstruction-plan-21897822 

Edited by Bud the Baker

4 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Livi announce their reconstruction plan-

A permanent 14-10-10-10 with a 6/8 split in the top flight, 2 up, 2down with a potential play-off spot between 12th in Premiership & 3rd in Championship...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/livingston-outline-spfl-reconstruction-plan-21897822 

I seen that last night. Definitely not the worst of proposals apart from doing away with the play offs in the lower divisions. I'd say the play offs have been pretty successful in giving teams something to aim/play for right up to near the end of a season. 

With 2up/2down and a possible play off between the Premiership and the Championship,  it would give teams a better chance of promotion from the currently cut throat Championship.  

14 minutes ago, munoz said:

I seen that last night. Definitely not the worst of proposals apart from doing away with the play offs in the lower divisions. I'd say the play offs have been pretty successful in giving teams something to aim/play for right up to near the end of a season. 

With 2up/2down and a possible play off between the Premiership and the Championship,  it would give teams a better chance of promotion from the currently cut throat Championship.  

I agree on the play offs.

Keeps the interest going mostly right to the end of the season then the games themselves, as seen by the attendances for our games last season, generate plenty of interest. 

PS On the play off's, I'd change them to straight knock out like they do in England. Don't think it's fair the Championship teams have to, potentially, play umpteen games before they play the top league team. 

Edited by faraway saint

10 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

As someone on P&B just pointed out a straight playoff between 12th in Premiership & 3rd in Championship would mean 4 extra games for the Premiership team

I think we can assume temporary reconstruction is gonna get shot down...:fire2

Surely the Premiership squad should be able to cope with the extra games. 

Your 2nd point is spot on though, I'll eat my hat if these idiots can come together in unity with a progressive proposal.