Plans for next season

Guest TPAFKATS
I think the problem with social distancing is it is almost impossible to enforce in some situations, sport being one of them (though I think our defence for most of the 90's was already embracing it in their play). There's been talk of social distancing in schools - good luck with that one, have they ever seen how kids interact with each other?
This is the problem with the current approach. WHO have said there needs to be mass testing and contact tracing, so you know where the virus is and can treat and isolate accordingly. Government restrictions on all of us are because they didn't do that and have lost control, so we now see, as they attempt to come out of lockdown, inconsistent approaches which don't make sense. 
To be fair inconcistancy has been the only constant over the last couple of months.

Guest TPAFKATS
Darren Fletcher is such a class act.
I think he’ll become a great coach one day. 
Comes across really well. Hope for his sake he stays away from club football in Scotland - always gets hassle from whatever ugly sister he didn't grow up supporting.

BBC article about the reconstruction in the 1970s.  From memory we scraped into the First Division cut in the last game or two.  Montrose, Dumbarton and Arbroath finished above us.  If I remember correctly the following season went quite well 😄

Hadn't realised Sevco's predecessors were up to no good on reconstruction in the 1960s.  So just keeping up the track record then now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52092855

4 hours ago, David Mc said:

BBC article about the reconstruction in the 1970s.  From memory we scraped into the First Division cut in the last game or two.  Montrose, Dumbarton and Arbroath finished above us. 

We beat Forfar 2-0 in the 3rd last game of the season to secure 6th place and promotion.It was the 1st time I heard singing in the Main Stand.

The following week we got beat 5-0 away to East Stirling.😂

Edited by HSS

11 hours ago, HSS said:

We beat Forfar 2-0 in the 3rd last game of the season to secure 6th place and promotion.It was the 1st time I heard singing in the Main Stand.

The following week we got beat 5-0 away to East Stirling.😂

Establishing a tradition we repeated at Inverness 24 years later...:clapping

We're St. Murn, we don't give a fuck!

2 hours ago, linwood buddie said:

Why’s GS in the reconstruction group , see the point of Hearts and Hamilton but not us?

To look after our interests when it appears that 3 x 14 teamdivisions seems to have the support of L2 clubs. We're currently a Premiership/Championship yo-yo team and the 3 x 14 option could benefit us overall but the sticking point for clubs normally in the Bottom 6 will be the prize money especially for the bottom two teams in the Premiership who would presumably face financial problems after relegation, (I'm assuming bumping up the parachute payments is not an option) With the same prize money distribution it would also leave a gap between the team promoted from the Championship (currently those 3rd/4th) and the 12th place team in the Premiership.

Changes to the prize money distribution needed to make 3 x 14 a benefit to us would require an 11-1 majority in the Premiership. The clubs who potentially stand to lose from this change are (minus Hearts) the bottom 6 in the Premiership and perhaps those in the Championship who consider themselves as Premiership contenders. Any change that did not come with a guaranteed timeframe of 5 years before any review would be of no advantage to Saints in what are likely to be a turbulent few years for football in Scotland financially.

Should the SPFL remain at 42 clubs and prize money distribution stay the same, any plan would need 75% support. 

Premiership

11th - £1.13m (4.75%)
12th - £1.07m (4.5%)

Championship
1st - £533,000 (2.25%)
2nd - £450,000 (1.9%)
3rd - £379,000 (1.6%)
4th - £308,000 (1.3%)

All things considered best just to relegate Hearts.

Edited by Bud the Baker

With it looking unlikely any football is going to be played this year surely that brings finishing the season at some point back to the table.

The main reason for not finishing the season was that it would have a knock on effect into next year and delay TV deals and European qualification etc for next season. 

If next season is essentially cancelled then we should be looking at finishing this season now. Maybe calling the leagues was premature after all.

Edited by LargsBud

11 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

With it looking unlikely any football is going to be played this year surely that brings finishing the season at some point back to the table.

The main reason for not finishing the season was that it would have a knock on effect into next year and delay TV deals and European qualification etc for next season. 

If next season is essentially cancelled then we should be looking at finishing this season now. Maybe calling the leagues was premature after all.

It's a possibility but it would almost certainly require a fresh transfer window.

It's looking like three leagues of 14!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439324

Scottish League Two clubs have agreed to back a 14-14-14 structure - meaning any other reconstruction plan would almost certainly falter if they do.

A 15-strong group met twice last week to begin talks over potential changes to the current 12-10-10-10 model.

Should the SPFL remain at 42 clubs and prize money distribution stay the same, any plan would need 75% support.

But no other proposal would get the 15 votes needed in the bottom two tiers if the League Two clubs vote as planned.

The picture shifts slightly if the number of clubs was to be boosted by the introduction of Highland League champions Brora Rangers and Lowland League equivalents Kelty Hearts.

11 minutes ago, W6er said:

It's looking like three leagues of 14!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52439324

Anything that means fewer opportunities for teams to win league titles is a bad move IMO.

Scottish football and the domestic trophies are already dominated by two teams one team. More teams should have the opportunity to win titles - not less. As I've said before, the three best seasons I've had supporting St Mirren have been the 3 we have won the 1st division. Nothing else comes close. Fewer leagues and fewer teams winning titles every year isn't a good thing. 

1 hour ago, LargsBud said:

Why would St Mirren vote to finish the season. As it is we are safe and when new season starts we are in Premiership, anything else runs the risk of us being bottom ??

Edited by lenziebud

6 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

Anything that means fewer opportunities for teams to win league titles is a bad move IMO.

Scottish football and the domestic trophies are already dominated by two teams one team. More teams should have the opportunity to win titles - not less. As I've said before, the three best seasons I've had supporting St Mirren have been the 3 we have won the 1st division. Nothing else comes close. Fewer leagues and fewer teams winning titles every year isn't a good thing. 

Surely the more teams in the league, the less times the OF play the other teams and therefore the greater chance of someone else winning the league. For example, let’s say Aberdeen are challenging Celtic. If they only have to play Celtic twice, rather than 4 times, surely that improves their chances of wining the league??

In short, I can’t see any scenario whereby more teams lessens your chance of winning the league. 

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Surely the more teams in the league, the less times the OF play the other teams and therefore the greater chance of someone else winning the league. For example, let’s say Aberdeen are challenging Celtic. If they only have to play Celtic twice, rather than 4 times, surely that improves their chances of wining the league??

In short, I can’t see any scenario whereby more teams lessens your chance of winning the league. 

There is absolutely no chance of anyone winning the league other than the OF.

The financial gap is too vast.

Reconstruction should be looked at from what it can bring to clubs outside the OF, if it bring anything ?

3 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

There is absolutely no chance of anyone winning the league other than the OF.

The financial gap is too vast.

Reconstruction should be looked at from what it can bring to clubs outside the OF, if it bring anything ?

Thank you for stating the obvious as things stand. I never disputed that.

I asked why increasing the league size LESSENED the chances of another team winning the league. If anything it increases it in my opinion.