Plans for next season

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thank you for stating the obvious as things stand. I never disputed that.

I asked why increasing the league size LESSENED the chances of another team winning the league. If anything it increases it in my opinion. 

Yep you are right but tbh its a mute point imo ?

Just now, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Thank you for stating the obvious as things stand. I never disputed that.

I asked why increasing the league size LESSENED the chances of another team winning the league. If anything it increases it in my opinion. 

My point was more about the other leagues than the Premier League.

At the moment 4 teams in Scotland experience winning a league every year. With this new suggested format it would go down to 3. 

The old firm will still be winning the premier league no matter what

Just now, lenziebud said:

Yep you are right but tbh its a mute point imo ?

Aye but if you apply that logic the whole of Scottish football is moot and there would be no point discussing anything.

If one team (let’s say Aberdeen) could get to a point In a particular season where they were consistently better than all the other teams bar Celtic and Rangers, if the OF were to drop points here and there as they are prone to doing (not so much this season) it is much more difficult to make up for those lapses if you are only playing your main challenger twice instead of 4 times.

Had this been the case a couple of seasons ago when Aberdeen gave Celtic a right good run for their money, it is not totally inconceivable that they could’ve won the league.  

9 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

My point was more about the other leagues than the Premier League.

At the moment 4 teams in Scotland experience winning a league every year. With this new suggested format it would go down to 3. 

The old firm will still be winning the premier league no matter what

Fair enough that’s true, but in a Premiership sense, it can only lessen the OF grip. Albeit as you say probably not to a point where someone else could win it. Might at least level the playing field a wee bit though and we might not see as many cakewalks. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Why’s GS in the reconstruction group , see the point of Hearts and Hamilton but not us?
Better to be inside the tent pissing out, than outside pissing on?

10 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Not sure if anyone has posted this. On subject of reconstruction, 5 different ways euro leagues do the league split.

https://medium.com/@alexmarr14/five-european-leagues-that-do-the-split-much-differently-than-scotland-8ffab4d17a82

Interesting, thanks. 

The Nordic leagues and Belgium's seem too complicated. Just looking at those flow charts indicates it's not something that's likely to interest the casual spectator. 

I like the idea of 6/8 splits in all the leagues. For tiers 2 and 3, the play-offs could make up for the fact there would be fewer games played. The top two clubs could be promoted automatically, whilst sides finishing 3rd to 5th could play-off in a similar fashion to the current format.

3 hours ago, LargsBud said:

Anything that means fewer opportunities for teams to win league titles is a bad move IMO.

Scottish football and the domestic trophies are already dominated by two teams one team. More teams should have the opportunity to win titles - not less. As I've said before, the three best seasons I've had supporting St Mirren have been the 3 we have won the 1st division. Nothing else comes close. Fewer leagues and fewer teams winning titles every year isn't a good thing. 

I understand the point you're making, but I think the benefits outweigh the negative outcome you've identified.

12 minutes ago, W6er said:

I understand the point you're making, but I think the benefits outweigh the negative outcome you've identified.

What are the benefits ?

I'm not really getting leagues of 14 benefits.

I'm all in favour of restructure for a season to take away the inherent unfairness of Hearts, Thistle etc. but unless restructuring for the long term has major benefits then I don't see the point. I personally think the leagues work fine just now and that there is no real need for reconstruction.

I know Fitzpatrick mentions he is all in favour of restructuring but i'm never that convinced by Tony's ideas ?

2 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

I'd be happy with 16 team top tier. Play each other twice, home and away.

simples

Then you get into the meaningless games scenario and I think its a valid point.

At the moment in the Premiership there are very few meaningless games ?

I get the benefit of only twice a season though

Edited by lenziebud

11 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

I never understand this 'meaningless game' mantra. Every league will have games that don't involve winning the league, gaining a euro slot or bring relegated.  All the top leagues with more teams than ours have games with little to play for other than for points. I don't hear many saying the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and other top leagues should be reduced because some games have little to play for.

Just now, nedflanders123 said:

I never understand this 'meaningless game' mantra. Every league will have games that don't involve winning the league, gaining a euro slot or bring relegated.  All the top leagues with more teams than ours have games with little to play for other than for points. I don't hear many saying the EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga and other top leagues should be reduced because some games have little to play for.

The EPL has 6 European places and 3 relegation places. 9 positions to fight for, nearly half the league.

Also nobody is saying every league doesn't have meaningless games but in our situation if you increase the number of teams you will increase the number of meaningless games.

The leagues are fine at the moment. Tinkering about with the format isn't going to bring the crowds back and revolutionise Scottish football. The problems we have lie elsewhere. 

Guest TPAFKATS
I'm too young to remember this meaningless game stuff from the time before we went to a 10 team league.

I do recall some meaningless games in 10 and 12 team league. There will always be some I suppose. In the current set up, the team in 7th coukd easily have 5 games post split with nothing to play for

I appreciate teams won't want to lose revenue by only playing 15 home games as opposed to 19 and also TV deal wants four ugly sisters games. I'm just thinking of earlier this season when we had a run of 2 games a week for about 6 weeks through the cold dark wet winter days and nights and I'd rather just have Saturday afternoon games even if it means losing some games.

27 minutes ago, LargsBud said:

What do you see the main benefits being of 3 leagues of 14?

Each league has the same format, which I find preferable. Furthermore, each league benefits from a split. Look how exciting the end to our season would have been, with four teams involved in a relegation battle! Playing each side home and away twice is too much, so whilst some teams will be playing one another twice, they will more likely be six pointers at the end of the season.

I think a 14 team league can justify two automatic relegation places and a play-off spot, which will make the leagues more exciting too. If that was the case sides finishing 5th will still be involved in the play-offs, as would the side finishing third from bottom. 

25 minutes ago, lenziebud said:

What are the benefits ?

I'm not really getting leagues of 14 benefits.

I'm all in favour of restructure for a season to take away the inherent unfairness of Hearts, Thistle etc. but unless restructuring for the long term has major benefits then I don't see the point. I personally think the leagues work fine just now and that there is no real need for reconstruction.

I know Fitzpatrick mentions he is all in favour of restructuring but i'm never that convinced by Tony's ideas ?

Hi Lenziebud! Please see my reply to LargsBud above. 

17 minutes ago, cambiebud said:

Ffs Shull! How? New squads, no fans. Unrealistic at best

All this Season's matches must be played including all Play Offs.

Or Scottish Football is fecked and finished.

2 hours ago, LargsBud said:

The EPL has 6 European places and 3 relegation places. 9 positions to fight for, nearly half the league.

Also nobody is saying every league doesn't have meaningless games but in our situation if you increase the number of teams you will increase the number of meaningless games.

The leagues are fine at the moment. Tinkering about with the format isn't going to bring the crowds back and revolutionise Scottish football. The problems we have lie elsewhere. 

I agree bud , I don’t really see the point of restructuring to really only save Hearts IMO, even the crazy idea to only change for a season would make our league a laughing stock .If it is to finish as is well then don’t restructure and ta ta Hearts.

15 hours ago, LargsBud said:
15 hours ago, nedflanders123 said:

Might the problem lie with those that think the league set up is fine at the moment?