A Thread For Christian Apologists and Inspiring or Uplifting Christian Stuff

W6er

I thought it would be nice, in these uncertain times, to create a thread for Christians to post positive and uplifting Christian stuff. I appreciate nowadays that Christianity is waning, and some people will perceive me as a superstitious fool, as is your right, but I hope you will behave with decorum and either ignore this thread completely or be respectful of Christian belief if you do decide to post here. I'd rather this wasn't a thread to discuss theology, so if you want to do that then kindly create a new thread, please! :) 

As fans of St. Mirren Football Club, I thought it would be appropriate to start with a brief history of the Saint whose name the club has taken:

Saint Mirin lived from 565 to 620. He is also known Saint Mirren, Merinus, Merryn and Meadhrán. He was an Irish monk and missionary who founded a religious community in Scotland that indirectly went on to become Paisley Abbey. As a result he is viewed as the patron saint of Paisley. The wider picture in Scotland at the time is set out in our Historical Timeline.

St Mirin was born in Ireland, into a noble family. While still young he was admitted to the monastery at Bangor Abbey in County Down, where he studied under the guidance of St Comgall. Mirin later became the prior of Bangor Abbey. Legend has it that Mirin performed a miracle (of sorts) when he was refused permission to preach the gospel by the High King of Ireland. The queen was heavily pregnant, and Mirin is said to have prayed to God to have the king suffer from his wife's labour pains. He was subsequently summoned by the high king and, on "curing" the king, was given the permission he wanted to preach. Not a saint to be messed with, clearly.

Mirin later travelled to what is now west central Scotland and, with the permission of the local chieftain, established a small church near the White Cart Water some miles south of the River Clyde. Little is known of Mirin's activities in Scotland, but after he died the shrine to Saint Mirin that was created there became a place of pilgrimage and what is now the town of Paisley grew up around it. In 1163 Walter Fitzalan, the High Steward of Scotland, founded of a Cluniac priory on land he owned in Renfrewshire. This became Paisley Abbey and was not far from the site of Saint Mirin's earlier church. The priory was dedicated jointly to Saint Mirin and to Saint Milburga, the patron saint of Wenlock in Shropshire, where the first thirteen monks came from. It is said that Paisley Abbey at this time housed the relics of St Mirin, and it continued to be an important centre of pilgrimage. In 1488 King James IV issued a charter granting Paisley the status of burgh of barony. One of the reasons given was "the singular respect we have for the glorious confessor, Saint Mirin".

Saint Mirin is today remembered in the St Mirin Chapel in Paisley Abbey and in the name of the Roman Catholic St Mirin's Cathedral in Paisley. Paisley's football club is called St Mirren F.C., and there is a Knockmurran ("Mirin's Hill") in Ayrshire, an Inchmurrin "Mirin's Island") on Loch Lomond, and a St Mirin's Well near Kilsyth, as well as streets, (small) rivers, and a primary school named after him.

Source: https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usbiography/m/stmirin.html

I came across a great rendition of the hymn In Christ Alone today, which I think is really great:

I suspect this thread will not go as well as you intended w6er. :D

You should expect that people won't have much time for a "positive" thread about a cult organisation which has historically engaged in thousands of years of mass murder, torture, brain washing of children and child rape. And that's before we get to the forced removal of children from their unmarried parents, murder and discrimination against homosexuals, f**k we could be here all day.

Edited by oaksoft

Well this has got me thinking.

Perhaps we as fans of the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd company should show our thanks to the Lord above for sparing some of us from this evil pandemic (that by reason of belief he himelf or she herself, or it itself - God may identify as pansexual) created to strike us down with.  Thank you  old man/woman/pan in the sky for striking not me down.

Anyway this could be an epiphany and I suggest in the name of a the father/mother/pansexual overlord that we immediately arm the army of singing section sinners with the weapon of choice.  Smisa shall forthwith purchase tambourines (from amazon, the shops are shut) and issue these to W7.  The Saints really will be marching in.

I have undertaken in his/her/pans name to pen a song for our re-born identity as warriors of God.  At the re-opening of the stadium (we should rename it immediately as the faith bowl) we should burn a sinner at half time.  In fact burning the sinner could replace bung a baw.  I was bored with bung a baw anyway.  So in front of the family stand we shall ignite a sinner and let him burn before us to cleanse of us of sin until our next home game.  I nominate Shull, as a long serving protganist of this forum I can think of no other who deserves this holiest of honours more than oor Shull.  He lived a sinner but died screaming in agony as a weapon of God.  Just imagine Gods glory as the screams are prevented from piercing the ears as the rythmic wonder of 2000 tambourines beat in unison as the men, women, pans people and children recoice as the flesh burns in front of our eyes.  The smell of burnt flesh will make people hungry so we can also expect increased takings at the pie stall.  Shull died for our pie stall we shall say!

So to the song, I have dedicated many seconds neigh a minute or two dedicated to him/her/pan.  My lockdown is in your name Lord.

Sing Hossannah, Sing Hosannah, Sing Hosannah for the Saint of Saints

Big Obika, big Obika he hath scored against Hearts for the Saint of Saints

Sinner Shull, sinner Shull, burned in agony to save us all

We shall rejoice and watch the football

Sing Hossannah, Sing Hossannnah, Sing Hossannah for the Saint of Saints

Vaclaz Hladky, Vaclav Hladky he has the Lords presence in his gloves

Jens Paeslack, Jens Paeslack, keep him away from the collection bowl

Jimmy Goodwin, Jimmy Goodwin, he leads us on Gods behalf

Will Jack Baird be returned to centre half

Sing Hossannah, Sing Hossannah, Sing Hossannah for the Saint of Saints

This could really catch on.  Perhaps as a special, say at cup games Tony Fitzpatrick could faith heal people at half time instead of burning sinners (keep them for league games).  In return for Tony's healing hands the once smited fan can show his/her/there appreciation be giving all worldy poseesions to the club.  The fact that we never choose poor ill people is just by chance.  Those premium Smisa members are suddenly good for something!

Let us pray

Let us pray

Shull was the first to be burned this day

Let us pray

Let us pray

May Saint Mirren win the day

Amen

Edited by TediousTom

As a Humanist I think that Christianity, like most of the world's major religions, is a good thing. The thing I have against them, with a few individual and possibly notable exceptions, are the people who follow them, mostly for their own benefit or prejudice.  😇

Edited by rabuddies
damned predictive text

I'm an atheist but have to admit, religious adherence and belief has always fascinated me. Regarding Christianity, I feel it can be put into two broad categories (not meaning specific denominations here)

• The Christian in name and perceived message only. Someone that doesn't really believe the stories of genesis and the likes. Accepts evolution, rejects the intolerance of the bible, doesn't believe there was really a global flood and is more focused on a message regarding what Jesus stood for (in their opinion) and what some modern churches teach today. 
  • The Literal, adherent Christian fundamentalist. Believes the bible teachings, warts and all, rejects the mountains of evidence against it. Believes in a young universe, evolution is a lie, Adam & Eve were real and believes in a literal flood roughly 4,500 years ago. The intolerance in the bible is gods word & as such anyone going against it is wrong.

The first one is the only one I've experienced in Scotland and is part of the reason the faith is dying. When you reject the core teachings (rightfully) what you are left with, isn't the religion, so why continue to follow it? 

I've never came across the second in the flesh (plenty online keyboard warriors). Do we have any Christians on here that'll go on record as being the latter? 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

I'm an atheist but have to admit, religious adherence and belief has always fascinated me. Regarding Christianity, I feel it can be put into two broad categories (not meaning specific denominations here)

• The Christian in name and perceived message only. Someone that doesn't really believe the stories of genesis and the likes. Accepts evolution, rejects the intolerance of the bible, doesn't believe there was really a global flood and is more focused on a message regarding what Jesus stood for (in their opinion) and what some modern churches teach today. 
  • The Literal, adherent Christian fundamentalist. Believes the bible teachings, warts and all, rejects the mountains of evidence against it. Believes in a young universe, evolution is a lie, Adam & Eve were real and believes in a literal flood roughly 4,500 years ago. The intolerance in the bible is gods word & as such anyone going against it is wrong.

The first one is the only one I've experienced in Scotland and is part of the reason the faith is dying. When you reject the core teachings (rightfully) what you are left with, isn't the religion, so why continue to follow it? 

I've never came across the second in the flesh (plenty online keyboard warriors). Do we have any Christians on here that'll go on record as being the latter? 

Sweeper07 is one particularly virulent and loathsome adherent. I remember him ranting that children dying of cancer was a direct consequence of humans not adhering to the word of the bible properly. Absolute nutcase.

On 5/4/2020 at 4:33 PM, oaksoft said:

Sweeper07 is one particularly virulent and loathsome adherent. I remember him ranting that children dying of cancer was a direct consequence of humans not adhering to the word of the bible properly. Absolute nutcase.

That's disappointing to say the least. 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:47 PM, oaksoft said:

I suspect this thread will not go as well as you intended w6er. :D

You should expect that people won't have much time for a "positive" thread about a cult organisation which has historically engaged in thousands of years of mass murder, torture, brain washing of children and child rape. And that's before we get to the forced removal of children from their unmarried parents, murder and discrimination against homosexuals, f**k we could be here all day.

Your a disgrace with these comments, ur a wrong yin!

On 5/4/2020 at 3:08 PM, bazil85 said:

The Bible isn't literal, though. So one doesn't need to be either. 'Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world', Jesus isn't literally a lamb.

The Garden of Eden could be a metaphorical way of explaining man's evolution. We were like animals, we knew no sin and just acted instinctively, and then came about the development of our conscience, and of abstract thought. Now man knew the difference between good and bad, but would often choose bad regardless. After man's expulsion from Eden we were to toil and work in the fields, which makes sense as early man developed farming. 

13 hours ago, W6er said:

The Bible isn't literal, though. So one doesn't need to be either. 'Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world', Jesus isn't literally a lamb.

The Garden of Eden could be a metaphorical way of explaining man's evolution. We were like animals, we knew no sin and just acted instinctively, and then came about the development of our conscience, and of abstract thought. Now man knew the difference between good and bad, but would often choose bad regardless. After man's expulsion from Eden we were to toil and work in the fields, which makes sense as early man developed farming. 

If this is your understanding, it sounds like you’re in the first bracket. 

Genesis can’t really be anything regarding the origin of the universe. The earth wasn’t formed at any ‘beginning’ the sun wasn’t formed after the earth & vegetation certainly didn’t exist before the sun. Just to name a few 

Edited by bazil85

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, W6er said:

I thought it would be nice, in these uncertain times, to create a thread for Christians to post positive and uplifting Christian stuff. I appreciate nowadays that Christianity is waning, and some people will perceive me as a superstitious fool, as is your right, but I hope you will behave with decorum and either ignore this thread completely or be respectful of Christian belief if you do decide to post here. I'd rather this wasn't a thread to discuss theology, so if you want to do that then kindly create a new thread, please! :) 

As fans of St. Mirren Football Club, I thought it would be appropriate to start with a brief history of the Saint whose name the club has taken:

I came across a great rendition of the hymn In Christ Alone today, which I think is really great:

I don’t know? In recent times we have had wars, there  is currently a huge problem with locusts in Africa, we have COVID , a plague (of sorts) if the SPL is expanded and all the teams in the Scottish championship go bust except Queen of the south allowing them to “rise up” then I will be repenting like there no tomorrow, which there won’t be. 

6 hours ago, shull said:

I believe popular culture today is toxic. It's profane, inane, overtly sexual and materialistic. It's inevitable as we approach the End Times, though and I wouldn't want to encroach upon others' rights to indulge themselves, hopefully they still get to hear the Gospels and choose to accept or reject it. Interestingly Sir Issac Newton apparently calculated that the End Times would come about around 2060, and I think he might be right