Scottish Football Now Decomposing

On 5/29/2020 at 8:56 PM, paul torfason said:

Off the subject a bit  .am watching Scotland v Sweden 1990 in Italy and just seen a massive Scotland flag say8"st.mirren paisley Brazilians "anyone no who was the man or guys who did it:cheers

On 5/29/2020 at 9:49 PM, faraway saint said:

Good spot mate, I think this was discussed on here previously but can't remember what thread. :thumbs2

Anybody? 

On 5/29/2020 at 9:51 PM, Cookie Monster said:

The name billy the fish comes to mind if my memory from then is correct. emoji848.png

It was my old man who made the flag up. I was about 6 year old at the time of Italy 90. There's old photos somewhere of him and me with it. 

The name Billy the Fish though is right. Billy went to Italy with my dad quite late in the day but he was Celtic season ticket holder who my old man first met when working up in Aberdeen earlier on in 1990. The flag was ready to go to Italy long before Billy had agreed to. 

He can't remember who he gave the flag to at the end of the tournament but has a feeling it might have been big Ian Brown's boy, young Ian. He can't remember for certain though. 

Funny story, him and Billy were meant to be getting the supporters bus which was leaving in the middle of the night (again, think it was run by big Broony), both of them decided to have a bevvy in Billy's, fell asleep pished and when they woke up, realised they'd missed the bus by a couple of hours.

As this was 1990 and no such thing as mobile phones, they couldn't tell anyone what had happened, so when they woke up, they just hoofed it down the airport, got a flight to London, a train to Dover then waited about at the ferry terminal for a couple of hours waiting on the passing bus to pick them up. :lol:

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It was my old man who made the flag up. I was about 6 year old at the time of Italy 90. There's old photos somewhere of him and me with it. 

The name Billy the Fish though is right. Billy went to Italy with my dad quite late in the day but he was Celtic season ticket holder who my old man first met when working up in Aberdeen earlier on in 1990. The flag was ready to go to Italy long before Billy had agreed to. 

He can't remember who he gave the flag to at the end of the tournament but has a feeling it might have been big Ian Brown's boy, young Ian. He can't remember for certain though. 

Funny story, him and Billy were meant to be getting the supporters bus which was leaving in the middle of the night (again, think it was run by big Broony), both of them decided to have a bevvy in Billy's, fell asleep pished and when they woke up, realised they'd missed the bus by a couple of hours.

As this was 1990 and no such thing as mobile phones, they couldn't tell anyone what had happened, so when they woke up, they just hoofed it down the airport, got a flight to London, a train to Dover then waited about at the ferry terminal for a couple of hours waiting on the passing bus to pick them up. :lol:

Is your dads name Brian?

18 minutes ago, HSS said:

I was telling my mate the story as I knew he was on the same trip.His reply...................

22D4C14A-361F-4BCF-AC74-7D507B6E1AAD.jpeg

:lol:

Pretty much on the nose. There was also a story where word had got round about a pub a couple of miles over the Italian border in Yugoslavia that sold Whitbread and the whole bus more or less commandeered the place for a few days and drank their boozer dry. 

As this was 1990 and no such thing as mobile phones, they couldn't tell anyone what had happened, so when they woke up, they just hoofed it down the airport, got a flight to London, a train to Dover then waited about at the ferry terminal for a couple of hours waiting on the passing bus to pick them up. [emoji38]
Yeah, big hen broon organised it for a load of us.

Ca Savio near Vience, poor place never knew what had hit it. [emoji23]

I remember your da and billy getting to one of the games by paying some Italian guys petrol and entry that they had just met in a pub.

Was a trip that could never be repeated.

On the way home if memory serves me right. The air con wasn't working on the lower deck of the bus. So some got off near Milan to either fly or hitch it home. [emoji23]

2 minutes ago, hamlet said:

Oops, seems to have forgotten to mention the signing on fee,

company car,  free meals, win bonuses etc. 

Nothing like pulling the wool.

Have you seen his contract?

If he's walking away from his wages I'd imagine he'll be taking a hit of £3k to £5k per week for a whole year. That deserves a bit of respect TBH.

Edited by oaksoft

2 minutes ago, hamlet said:

Oops, seems to have forgotten to mention the signing on fee,

company car,  free meals, win bonuses etc. 

Nothing like pulling the wool.

I'm sure that the sizeable amount of money received each week from his previous contract with the The Green Bigots* might go some way to compensate for his potential loss of earnings too.

*Bear in mind that the average Green Bigot player salary in 2019/20 wasn't far off £900K a year.:blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Great article by Bill Leckie.

He’s (Craig Gordon) also bang on when he expresses his dismay that Scottish football hasn’t been able to sort itself out despite its problems not meaning a toss compared to what’s going on in the wider world.

Without wishing to pick an argument with one of the game’s good guys, though, I have to say that, if he’s searching for a reason why it’s all gone so pear-shaped, it’s right under his nose; right there in his boyhood club’s boardroom.

Hearts are the ones who finished bottom of the table despite spending top-three money on players.

Hearts are the ones who panicked and demanded those players take pay cuts before the government even had the chance to introduce the furlough scheme.

Hearts backed the wrong horse in the vote on ending the season early, then again on the vote calling for an independent probe into how that decision was reached.

A reconstruction plan that would have saved their bacon fell on its backside, even though their own sugar-mummy Ann Budge chaired the committee who came up with it.

They dragged United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers into their legal fight to have the final tables declared void, a situation that has left Raith fearing they’ll be unable to risk a six-figure legal bill and will simply be crossing their fingers that the decision goes their way.

As if this wasn’t heavy-handed enough, Budge then nicked Robbie Neilson from Tannadice as her new manager — a hefty investment which, along with the deal to bring Gordon in from Celtic, is an almighty boot in the stones for every employee forced into a drop in wages when Budge pleaded poverty.

I know Jambos fans will be sick of reading this, maybe even as sick as I am of writing it, but it has to be put on record that, despite dominating the headlines for pretty much all of these 115 locked-down days, their club have produced not one positive, winning idea.

Good God, even when the hugely-generous James Anderson offered a donation of millions to make sure no clubs went down the pan, all Budge had to do was introduce him to Neil Doncaster and let them shake hands, but even then she managed to turn it into a fight.

Like Rangers chairman Douglas Park before her, she’s read the room wrong time and again. She’s been fighting shadows, punching smoke.

Plus, when she and her lawyers were throwing their weight around by plunging the plans of the three lower league winners into disarray, why didn’t they have the courage to claim that Celtic shouldn’t have been named Premiership champions?

After all, if they’re actually saying relegation shouldn’t have counted, how can the title stand?

Sorry, but there are more holes in Budge’s defence than . . . well, there were in her back four all last season, which really is saying something. And, for the umpteenth time, let me also say without fear of contradiction that, if they’d come off the bottom by winning at Paisley in the last, pivotal match before the shutters came down, we’d never have heard a peep from them.

So, sure, there will be bad blood whatever happens now. But it’s Hearts who spilled it.

Sure, it’ll forever be a crying shame that they, Partick Thistle and Stranraer were condemned to the drop when they still had enough games left to save themselves.

But there are also countless businesses who might never open their doors again, tens of thousands of workers sweating over when they’ll earn a crust again.

All Hearts were asked to do was suck up some rank bad luck and agree to kick a ball around in a different division come August — a division they’d be odds-on favourites to win.

Whatever happens next in this sorry, sordid saga, the fact that they preferred to cause chaos for everyone else around them will stain those famous maroon shirts for a long time to come."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5777365/craig-gordon-hearts-relegation-row-bill-leckie

17 minutes ago, FTOF said:

He’s (Craig Gordon) also bang on when he expresses his dismay that Scottish football hasn’t been able to sort itself out despite its problems not meaning a toss compared to what’s going on in the wider world.

Without wishing to pick an argument with one of the game’s good guys, though, I have to say that, if he’s searching for a reason why it’s all gone so pear-shaped, it’s right under his nose; right there in his boyhood club’s boardroom.

Hearts are the ones who finished bottom of the table despite spending top-three money on players.

Hearts are the ones who panicked and demanded those players take pay cuts before the government even had the chance to introduce the furlough scheme.

Hearts backed the wrong horse in the vote on ending the season early, then again on the vote calling for an independent probe into how that decision was reached.

A reconstruction plan that would have saved their bacon fell on its backside, even though their own sugar-mummy Ann Budge chaired the committee who came up with it.

They dragged United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers into their legal fight to have the final tables declared void, a situation that has left Raith fearing they’ll be unable to risk a six-figure legal bill and will simply be crossing their fingers that the decision goes their way.

As if this wasn’t heavy-handed enough, Budge then nicked Robbie Neilson from Tannadice as her new manager — a hefty investment which, along with the deal to bring Gordon in from Celtic, is an almighty boot in the stones for every employee forced into a drop in wages when Budge pleaded poverty.

I know Jambos fans will be sick of reading this, maybe even as sick as I am of writing it, but it has to be put on record that, despite dominating the headlines for pretty much all of these 115 locked-down days, their club have produced not one positive, winning idea.

Good God, even when the hugely-generous James Anderson offered a donation of millions to make sure no clubs went down the pan, all Budge had to do was introduce him to Neil Doncaster and let them shake hands, but even then she managed to turn it into a fight.

Like Rangers chairman Douglas Park before her, she’s read the room wrong time and again. She’s been fighting shadows, punching smoke.

Plus, when she and her lawyers were throwing their weight around by plunging the plans of the three lower league winners into disarray, why didn’t they have the courage to claim that Celtic shouldn’t have been named Premiership champions?

After all, if they’re actually saying relegation shouldn’t have counted, how can the title stand?

Sorry, but there are more holes in Budge’s defence than . . . well, there were in her back four all last season, which really is saying something. And, for the umpteenth time, let me also say without fear of contradiction that, if they’d come off the bottom by winning at Paisley in the last, pivotal match before the shutters came down, we’d never have heard a peep from them.

So, sure, there will be bad blood whatever happens now. But it’s Hearts who spilled it.

Sure, it’ll forever be a crying shame that they, Partick Thistle and Stranraer were condemned to the drop when they still had enough games left to save themselves.

But there are also countless businesses who might never open their doors again, tens of thousands of workers sweating over when they’ll earn a crust again.

All Hearts were asked to do was suck up some rank bad luck and agree to kick a ball around in a different division come August — a division they’d be odds-on favourites to win.

Whatever happens next in this sorry, sordid saga, the fact that they preferred to cause chaos for everyone else around them will stain those famous maroon shirts for a long time to come."

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5777365/craig-gordon-hearts-relegation-row-bill-leckie

Excellent article. 

Nice post, I've nothing else to add. Just thought I'd add to my post count. [emoji23]

20 minutes ago, shull said:

Corrupt Scottish Football have wrongly and disgracefully booted Hearts, Partick Thistle and Stranraer in the baws. 

Celtic have not won the title. 

Your point has been made, it has been acknowledged,  move on. You're powerless to make what you want become reality. Control the controllables and don't let your anger control you. 😃

Edited by bazil85

14 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Your point has been made, it has been acknowledged,  move on. You're powerless to make what you want become reality. Control the controllables and don't let your anger control you. 😃

A little  'Donald Rumsfieldish " Mr B