Black Lives Matter

shull

How about this : BLM leader Shaun King tweeted :

‘all murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus and his European Mother and their white friends should also come down.They are a gross form of White Supremacy.Created as tools of oppression and racist propaganda.They should all come down’

@shaunking

17 minutes ago, Fricky-Troll said:

How about this : BLM leader Shaun King tweeted :

‘all murals and stained glass windows of white Jesus and his European Mother and their white friends should also come down.They are a gross form of White Supremacy.Created as tools of oppression and racist propaganda.They should all come down’

@shaunking

Same answer as I gave a moment ago...

As you’re aware, it’s the flawed, erroneous, plain-wrong portrayal of that historical figure - Jesus - that is being criticised, here.  As it has been for a long, long time.  Not the alleged morality underpinning his/Christian philosophy.

No one disputes the potentially positive societal use of much of the sermons and lectures of that character from the New Testament.  It’s simply that, of all the ways he might have looked, White, Anglo Saxon Protestant cool guy Is the most unlikely of all. (Except far-eastern, maybe).  He is depicted as a white leader.

Christian Religion ( it’s deferred gratification of a happy life till after you die) has been offered to the oppressed and poor for centuries as panacea for the injustices inflicted on them in this life.

it's understandable that the rich buildings and their trappings would be regarded with fear and anger by a suppressed underclass.

Leaving to one side the idea of  God and an afterlife then the essential love your neighbour and do to others what you would like them to do for you philosophy is appealing. 

As far as I can see, most religions have their origins in the middle or near East. The central figures would have been brown rather than white or black. Generally, but not exclusively, male these reflect the times when they started gaining adherents. 

Varous empires spread the faith that had gained ground in their core areas. The Roman Empire gave way to the Holy Roman Empire and the Pope's (Christian) power grew. E. G. The declaration of Arbroath was a plea to the Pope of the day to rule on national issues. Europe grew and prospered, sent out adventurers East, west and south taking over countries through a mixture of trade and military power. They took their Christian faith with them and planted this in the cultures they found. The religious figures they portrays looked strangely like them.. White, male, European. 

Islam turned its attention to the middle east including the ottoman empire, north Africa and later through trade further into Africa and into South Asia and the Pacific Islands. Islam eschews representations of major figures in the religion. 

Only Judaism from the 3 Abrahamic religions doesn't seek to convert and grow its numbers that way. The road to power for this group was that they took on roles the other two mainstream religions wouldn't countenance. Banking and business opened doors for these, much smaller, number of people to find key roles throughout the world as people of influence and in the process find themselves pilloried and worse, much worse. Hero's in this religion are old testament brown but visual displays, like Islam and certain Christian groups not prominent or not used. 

As for large church buildings then these were meant to impress and project the idea of power, even above that of the monarch. Power that seemed to be absolute. 

Views have changed. Democracies of one sort or another have grown. In most of these (not all) church and state have separated. In non democratic countries, religion is often either brought to the political centre (Iran)  or pushed aside (China) and when thought useful, brought out of the cupboard and dusted down, Russia. 

The rise in secularism is undermining old certainties and nature abhors a vacuum so in come more extreme views, right, left, fundamentalism etc and off we go again. 

If god exists, or if God exists in human form, I don't personally care whether he/she or other is black, brown or white. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53165938

He said he believed he was targeted by police because he is black.

"I know that I would not have been the subject of police attention, on either day, if I had not been a young black man," he added in the statement.

"And I know, from my own personal experience as a young black man, that I always have to be very fearful of being alone with police officers in a police van: that is an experience to be avoided if at all possible for the sake of my own safety, as most black men know from their encounters with the police."

Jordan Walker-Brown has previously served time in prison. 

Edited by shull

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53165938

He said he believed he was targeted by police because he is black.
"I know that I would not have been the subject of police attention, on either day, if I had not been a young black man," he added in the statement.
"And I know, from my own personal experience as a young black man, that I always have to be very fearful of being alone with police officers in a police van: that is an experience to be avoided if at all possible for the sake of my own safety, as most black men know from their encounters with the police."
Jordan Walker-Brown has previously served time in prison. 

I’ve found the best advice if you want to avoid contact with the police is DO NOT DO CRIME

That certainly works.
 IF you are white.

Sadly, I get that sentiment, it’s still astonishing in 2020 we still have these issues

I honestly don’t think of anyone in any other way than they’re a person, I don’t think about race/religion when dealing with people other than to respect their culture.