Black Lives Matter

shull

20 hours ago, shull said:

Washington Redskins

17 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

It is deemed racist, not sure what it is you don't get?

By the same token I think they should change the name of the movement, "Black lives matter". Given not all who are associated are actually black, this definitely sounds racist in the same way.

Edited by stlucifer

17 hours ago, StanleySaint said:

It is deemed racist, not sure what it is you don't get?

I know nothing about the background of the redskins part of the name. May be good cause and no cause for offence. 

Should Hibernian stop being Hibernian? Should Celtic stop being Celtic as these are associated with Ireland? After all, Dundee Hibernian changed their name to Dundee United to move away from that association. 

I asked.. Should St Mirren change its name as it is also accociated with an Irish Saint?  We didn't sing Molly Mallone for no reason... Did we? 

4 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Like these? 🤡🤡🤡

Oh dear. You are touchy Wee Boaby. I'll take that as you telling me that you don't have a scooby. 

I have often been embarrassed when visiting cities in countries that the UK colonised by our transplanting names from e.g. Scotland into the place names. Joburg is a good example. Dunkeld, Rosebank and Blairgowrie as well as Sandton prominent. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Oh dear. You are touchy Wee Boaby. I'll take that as you telling me that you don't have a scooby. 

I have often been embarrassed when visiting cities in countries that the UK colonised by our transplanting names from e.g. Scotland into the place names. Joburg is a good example. Dunkeld, Rosebank and Blairgowrie as well as Sandton prominent. 

See the post above yours, dimwit. 🤡🤡🤡

Oh, nice one Cookie. 😂😂😂

Unfortunately not true. Try to get your facts right. I said that I didn't know if the name was considered offensive and didn't know the background. Native Americans were treated very badly by early settlers including the Brits and French amongst others. More were killed by imported diseases than by armed action. The native American voice has been growing in strength in recent years. They are big landowners and have often used this to advantage in setting liberal gambling laws (A bit like the way a local tribal chief in South Africa enabled the establishment of Sun City as a gambling destination when this was banned in the rest of the  country.) A decent article on how the native population feel is in this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-30314290

But read black. Brown, red. Aboriginal, Mauri or any other variation. Us white chaps have not treated indigenous populations very well. Nor have we done a great job of welcoming incomers here. 

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Wasting your time. 🙄

He's no idea and has Shull backing him up, pretty much sums it up. 🤡🤡

I'm out of this shitfest of a thread. 👋

Bye bye Wee Boaby. Too much for you? Little grasp of the wider issues involved? Not populist enough for you? No need to reply. I know the answers to these. I wouldn't patronise the Native Americans by jumping to popular sentiment just to gain a sound bite moment on a football forum. These things are seldom as clear cut as they appear. 

Would I like it if Sr Mirren were called that Irish Club from Paisley?. 

Racism, Sectarianism all stem from the same roots and I don't favour either approach. 

No, you wrote it through ignorance. Even after it was explained to you by StanleySaint.

Unfortunately not true. Try to get your facts right. I said that I didn't know if the name was considered offensive and didn't know the background.

But read black. Brown, red. Aboriginal, Mauri or any other variation. Us white chaps have not treated indigenous populations very well. Nor have we done a great job of welcoming incomers here. 

There you go again, categorising folk by the colour of their skin.

Ignorance is not a defence, especially after its been explained to you previously.

2 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

There you go again, categorising folk by the colour of their skin.

Ignorance is not a defence, especially after its been explained to you previously.

Are you able to read? 

I have severe doubts on that score. 

Have you ever completed a government questionnaire here? 

Our country categorises people by ethnicity and often by religion. 

If you have travelled and worked abroad then you will know that this is much more common than you imagine. 

Traditionally groups who felt discriminated against look for positive discrimination policies to "right" old wrongs. To do this they demand recognition be that Black Economic Empowerment in South Africa, Native Americans in the USA or The Windrush generation here. 

Go back a little further here and you had no blacks, no Irish signs. Jobs were closed to the incoming Catholic Irish population and educational barriers put in place. Due to the law of unintended consequences this led to Catholic Schools. Be careful what you wish for. PS. I don't have a racist or sectarian bone in my body.