Black Lives Matter

shull

And here is my big gripe about all of these types of campaign.
What starts off as a fantastic symbolic gesture of solidarity by English footballers (taking the knee) suddenly turns into relentless and completely unfair pressure on all Scottish footballers to do the same.
It's Poppy Day all over again.
There's a special place in hell for these virtue signalling control freaks.
Just let the players decide for themselves. They don't need anyone pressuring them.
Personally, I think it should be dropped. The point has been well made. It's now time for actual change.
Radio Scotland reported today that it will be adopted by all Scot Prem clubs this season as the players had agreed to back it. Quite how they were surveyed I don't know. There was no mention of any pressure it was reported that it was solely the players decision.

13 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
On 7/21/2020 at 3:28 PM, oaksoft said:
And here is my big gripe about all of these types of campaign.
What starts off as a fantastic symbolic gesture of solidarity by English footballers (taking the knee) suddenly turns into relentless and completely unfair pressure on all Scottish footballers to do the same.
It's Poppy Day all over again.
There's a special place in hell for these virtue signalling control freaks.
Just let the players decide for themselves. They don't need anyone pressuring them.
Personally, I think it should be dropped. The point has been well made. It's now time for actual change.

Radio Scotland reported today that it will be adopted by all Scot Prem clubs this season as the players had agreed to back it. Quite how they were surveyed I don't know. There was no mention of any pressure it was reported that it was solely the players decision.

Ifit was the players themselves then that is fine.

Pressure certainly came from Show Racism the Red Card campaign. They said it wasn't enough for players to make their own decision.

Surely if this goes ahead it has to be for the opening day/weekend set of fixtures? I’d hate to think this is going to be a weekly occurrence.

Surely if this goes ahead it has to be for the opening day/weekend set of fixtures? I’d hate to think this is going to be a weekly occurrence.
There was no suggestion it was to be a one off, hasn't been in any other league either. As I say supposedly it's the players own collective choice.

On 7/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, Russian Saint said:

At what point does it end.  

On 7/25/2020 at 9:01 AM, Russian Saint said:

"Hate" is about as strong a word as you can use in any context.  You "hate" the fact that participants in a sport where racial abuse has been widespread are trying to set an example and use their position to educate.  I think, most of all, you seem to "hate" the idea that you will get a persistent reminder that the behaviours that led to the movement are not to be tolerated.

Hope you enjoy explaining that to Trinidadians of African descent.

On 6/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, portmahomack saint said:

Why didn't we think of this before,  Erasing and burying our dark and embarrassing history by knocking down these statues from 300/400 yrs ago of industrialists and traders who made their fortune in slavery and exploiting people ,  Should we really stop there, Why don't we dismantle the coliseum in Rome where they fed all those Christians to the lions for their entertainment and all those statues and monuments too while were at it, 

And lets not forget those cruel and sadistic Pharaohs of Egypt using slaves to build those big stupid Pyramids when a couple of Irish navvies could have dug a 6 ft hole in the ground for less than half the cost,  Yes lets smash those Pyramids and the Valley of the Kings to bits. 

We can't bury our history and we shouldn't even try it's who we are, We have to learn from our mistakes of the past,  We should be building more statues of people who have shown us the errors of our ways, People who deserved to be remembered for what they did. 

Real icons like Martin Luther King, Mahatma Gandhi, Mohammed Ali, Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, The Great Nelson Mandela, To name just a few,  Not George Floyd.

From 2003.

https://harvardmagazine.com/2003/07/who-built-the-pyramids-html

Of course you won't have heard of Adolf Hitler as there are no statues of him.

"Hate" is about as strong a word as you can use in any context.  You "hate" the fact that participants in a sport where racial abuse has been widespread are trying to set an example and use their position to educate.  I think, most of all, you seem to "hate" the idea that you will get a persistent reminder that the behaviours that led to the movement are not to be tolerated.
Hope you enjoy explaining that to Trinidadians of African descent.

Maybe I’m missing something?
I was of the impression that this whole taking the knee was in support of the BLM movement (not to be confused with actual black lives as the BLM movement don’t seem to care about them) which found prominence as a result of the death of George Floyd at the hands (or knee) of a police officer.
So Football players take a knee for a week or for a season.......... then what? What’ll have changed? Will that have stopped racists being racist?

Your second point WRT Trinidadians of African heritage. I suggest you do a bit of research on that one. Racism is a global issue, and it’s just not whites that are racist.

13 minutes ago, Russian Saint said:

Maybe I’m missing something?
I was of the impression that this whole taking the knee was in support of the BLM movement (not to be confused with actual black lives as the BLM movement don’t seem to care about them) which found prominence as a result of the death of George Floyd at the hands (or knee) of a police officer.
So Football players take a knee for a week or for a season.......... then what? What’ll have changed? Will that have stopped racists being racist?

Your second point WRT Trinidadians of African heritage. I suggest you do a bit of research on that one. Racism is a global issue, and it’s just not whites that are racist.

Wouldn't hold my breath on that one. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Welcome to the forum freethinker. You should have joined a few weeks ago, there was a poster called Shull that had very very similar opinions as yourself, you two would have got on like a house on fire. 

Haha! Nobody's that brazen, surely it's just a coincidence?

4 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

That is utter hideous. Shooting an unarmed man 7 times in the back from point blank range.

Unfortunately many will find a way to defend the police officer and try to blame the individual.

Agreed or a way to completely miss the point. Reading through the pages of this post, some peoples ignorance on the severity of this issue and the importance of highlighting the problem is shameful 

That is utter hideous. Shooting an unarmed man 7 times in the back from point blank range.

Unfortunately many will find a way to defend the police officer and try to blame the individual.
The police were called to a dispute between two white women but end up shooting an unarmed black man in the back 7 times!

I bet the first thought be many is still "what did he do wrong?"

[emoji26][emoji26][emoji26]

3 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:

The police were called to a dispute between two white women but end up shooting an unarmed black man in the back 7 times!

I bet the first thought be many is still "what did he do wrong?"

emoji26.pngemoji26.pngemoji26.png

I think the first thought of EVERYONE should be "let's wait and see what happens and not immediately jump to conclusions".

@freethinker - Boris & Rule Britannia, what a pretty pair - neither of them what they really seem to be. The song was commissioned as a criticism of the then King's naval policy before Britain ruled the waves and was altered to a triumph by the Victorians although now with our rump of a navy in thrall to the USA it may well be appropriate again.

Anyway the battle has already been won - and not by your side! 

The Last Night Of the Proms was watched by 3.5 million viewers on BBC One last year, with three-fifths of those watching aged 65 and over.

Outside of the "professionally offended" Alt-Right snowflakes you admire very few people seem to care and I doubt very much if that figure include many "freethinkers". :rolleyes:

One final thought it'll always be The Henry Woods Proms to me.

Guest TPAFKATS
I think the first thought of EVERYONE should be "let's wait and see what happens and not immediately jump to conclusions".

Didn't see anyone jumping to conclusions about what happened.

Guest TPAFKATS
Agreed or a way to completely miss the point. Reading through the pages of this post, some peoples ignorance on the severity of this issue and the importance of highlighting the problem is shameful 
I was meaning in general and not necessarily this forum. However, you do have a point.