Black Lives Matter

shull

12 hours ago, Russian Saint said:

I hope those poor students aren’t too distressed by our history.
Good to see the university is listening to the BLM movement.......... the same BLM movement applauding the attempted assassination of two police officers at the weekend.

I haven’t seen any evidence of this? I know that BLM is a grass roots organisation thats main object is to raise the awareness of racial inequality in the USA. I did see footage of about 5 protesters outside a hospital and some click bait headlines about “ storming the emergency room” and the like. I remember similar headlines after 9/11 about Middle Eastern men on roof tops cheering when the planes hit, funnily enough that turned out to be alt right propaganda. 

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I'm suffering brain fog tonight.

You're going to have to explain this one to me. :oops

If you have brain fog, then I must be having a pea souper! I forgot to add text to that last post...

it has made a difference, they have changed the name of the building/tower. 

I haven’t seen any evidence of this? I know that BLM is a grass roots organisation thats main object is to raise the awareness of racial inequality in the USA. I did see footage of about 5 protesters outside a hospital and some click bait headlines about “ storming the emergency room” and the like. I remember similar headlines after 9/11 about Middle Eastern men on roof tops cheering when the planes hit, funnily enough that turned out to be alt right propaganda. 

You’re at the wind up.......... right? 🤣🤣🤣

12 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

If you have brain fog, then I must be having a pea souper! I forgot to add text to that last post...

it has made a difference, they have changed the name of the building/tower. 

I get that but I'm saying that in the context of defeating racism, it has made no difference at all has it?.

It's a symbolic gesture which makes those who brought it abut feel better about themselves but it serves no greater purpose from what I can see.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I get that but I'm saying that in the context of defeating racism, it has made no difference at all has it?.

It's a symbolic gesture which makes those who brought it abut feel better about themselves but it serves no greater purpose from what I can see.

It will have helped yet another generation who might well have grown up in ignorance learn that we are aw Jock Tamson's Bairns despite the fact that Blacks are routinely murdered by armed police officers in the US,  corralled into private prisons, be the majority on those sent to fight in foreign wars and more likely to be unemployed.

Not that it's much better for Blacks in the UK.

Anything that keeps this iniquitous disparity - due to superficial racial difference - in the spotlight, does serve a purpose.

Lest we forget...

Black Lives Do Matter

Edited by antrin

17 minutes ago, antrin said:

It will have helped yet another generation who might well have grown up in ignorance learn that we are aw Jock Tamson's Bairns despite the fact that Blacks are routinely murdered by armed police officers in the US,  corralled into private prisons, be the majority on those sent to fight in foreign wars and more likely to be unemployed.

Anything that keeps this iniquitous disparity - due to superficial racial difference - in the spotlight, does serve a purpose.

Lest we forget...

Black Lives Do Matter

You've mentioned this bold bit before and I still don't understand your point. Is your point that black people are being wrongly imprisoned more than innocent whites (in which case what are the respective numbers) or that they are getting away with less crime than white criminals (in which case the problem is why are more whites not being imprisoned as well)?

As for the bit in red, that's a personal choice by those who sign up for active duty. What exactly is the problem with people making personal choices?

Oh and BTW, you don't need to be lecturing me or anyone else on that last point. Nobody on here is saying otherwise.

43 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You've mentioned this bold bit before and I still don't understand your point. Is your point that black people are being wrongly imprisoned more than innocent whites (in which case what are the respective numbers) or that they are getting away with less crime than white criminals (in which case the problem is why are more whites not being imprisoned as well)?

As for the bit in red, that's a personal choice by those who sign up for active duty. What exactly is the problem with people making personal choices?

Oh and BTW, you don't need to be lecturing me or anyone else on that last point. Nobody on here is saying otherwise.

Your phrasing leaves much to be desired. You missed out an important word or you needlessly inserted it elsewhere.  "Innocent"

So...

Innocent  "black people are being wrongly imprisoned more than innocent whites".  For numbers do your own research or read/view the countless articles/tv progs about it.  I thought it would be common-knowledge for adults and thought the point of BLM was for kids.  Seems it may aid some adult education, too.  :)

Only middle class, wealthy or educated Americans can "opt out" of National Service and foreign wars. Thus the army is made up like the prison population disproportionately of Blacks.  This NOT about "Personal choice"...  although disadvantaged, uneducated people who cannot get any other work are more likely to join the Forces in any country. And so Economic and societal constructs may push them into making such a 'personal choice'...

And about that last point on which you don't need lecturing.... You do.

You do - as long as you think such symbolism as BLM is mere frippery.  😛

choose files... Click to choose files

Lest we forget...
Black Lives Do Matter

I don’t agree with your claimed “fact that blacks are routinely murdered by armed police officers”........ that’s a helluva statement.

Where did you get that fact from?

3 hours ago, antrin said:

Your phrasing leaves much to be desired. You missed out an important word or you needlessly inserted it elsewhere.  "Innocent"

So...

Innocent  "black people are being wrongly imprisoned more than innocent whites".  For numbers do your own research or read/view the countless articles/tv progs about it.  I thought it would be common-knowledge for adults and thought the point of BLM was for kids.  Seems it may aid some adult education, too.  :)

Only middle class, wealthy or educated Americans can "opt out" of National Service and foreign wars. Thus the army is made up like the prison population disproportionately of Blacks.  This NOT about "Personal choice"...  although disadvantaged, uneducated people who cannot get any other work are more likely to join the Forces in any country. And so Economic and societal constructs may push them into making such a 'personal choice'...

And about that last point on which you don't need lecturing.... You do.

You do - as long as you think such symbolism as BLM is mere frippery.  😛

choose files... Click to choose files

Ach I don't care about my phrasing.

I will do no such research. You made the claim. Either back it up or don't. It's your choice but you sound like a rambling, overly emotional fool when you just make these blanket statements.

I had no idea National Service was mandatory for US citizens. If this is true I will concede the point. Is it true though?

Your comment in bold has no merit. It's a personal choice. Period. What you've posted is just full of excuses. Too poor, too uneducated to make better choices?........nonsense. That is an excuse for personal failure. The world is packed with successful people who came from disadvantaged backgrounds. Packed. Certainly in this country we have free education, free internet access and free computing facilities. There's simply no excuse for blaming poverty for a lack of personal success. For those wanting to wallow in self pity and blame the "fecking Tories" I have bad news. The world simply doesn't care about your whinging or your blame culture. If we had been any other species you'd have been eaten by now. Life lessons class 101 antrin. Redundancies due to covid aside, there has literally never been a better time to be alive in the UK as regards chances of success and achieving your potential. Of course continued attempts at more targetted help would be appreciated but life is there for the taking. There's no such thing as fairness and there's no such thing as an easy life. Neither of those things are barriers to achieving your potential so don't dwell on them. That should be rammed into kids from the earliest age.

10 hours ago, oaksoft said:

From small acorns, and all that... I suppose I am taking a longer term view of the issue, it’s a bit like the Scottish independence issue, do certain events and circumstances move Scotland closer to independence or further away? 
Does renaming a building move towards defeating racism or away from defeating racism? I would say towards. 

24 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

From small acorns, and all that... I suppose I am taking a longer term view of the issue, it’s a bit like the Scottish independence issue, do certain events and circumstances move Scotland closer to independence or further away? 
Does renaming a building move towards defeating racism or away from defeating racism? I would say towards. 

Honestly, if I was black I would feel deeply patronised by this sort of thing. That I need white saviours to protect me from the horrors of the past by renaming colleges, removing statues etc. That I needed this protection because I wasn't strong enough to cope otherwise.

That's the position I'm coming from.

In the scheme of things though, I'm not annoyed enough by it to get upset.

On the positive side, I think younger people are just more educated about racism than my generation. That's a good thing.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Ach I don't care about my phrasing.

I will do no such research. You made the claim. Either back it up or don't. It's your choice but you sound like a rambling, overly emotional fool when you just make these blanket statements.

YOU DIDN’T KNOW BUT YOU CAN’T BE ARSED FINDING OUT.  So WHY SHOULD I CARE... AS I KNOW YOU’VE HAD A SHELTERED LIFE WHICH STOPS YOU FROM WANTING TO SEE HOW HARD IT CAN BE FOR OTHERS?

I had no idea National Service was mandatory for US citizens. If this is true I will concede the point. Is it true though?  Conscription was the deal in the Vietnam escapade. Rich whites avoided, blacks had no escape.

Your comment in bold has no merit. It's a personal choice. Period.
It isn’t.  The US has structural inequalities that dictate not only life choices but life chances if you are non white.

What you've posted is just full of excuses. Too poor, too uneducated to make better choices?........nonsense. That is an excuse for personal failure. The world is packed with successful people who came from disadvantaged backgrounds. Packed. Certainly in this country we have free education, free internet access and free computing facilities. There's simply no excuse for blaming poverty for a lack of personal success. For those wanting to wallow in self pity and blame the "fecking Tories" I have bad news. The world simply doesn't care about your whinging or your blame culture. If we had been any other species you'd have been eaten by now. Life lessons class 101 antrin. Redundancies due to covid aside, there has literally never been a better time to be alive in the UK as regards chances of success and achieving your potential. Of course continued attempts at more targetted help would be appreciated but life is there for the taking. There's no such thing as fairness and there's no such thing as an easy life. Neither of those things are barriers to achieving your potential so don't dwell on them. That should be rammed into kids from the earliest age.
YOU ARE SURPRISINGLY IGNORANT ABOUT HOW THE WORLD WORKS OR YOU ARE CREATING A SMOKESCREEN SO YOU NEEDN’T CARE.

You asked me questions and I answered them, you don’t need to question the answers as if you were bazil.  Just ignore me.  You don’t want my help.

:)

Have you not seen the news recently?  [emoji33]

That’s not backing up your claim.

I remember a certain media outlet claimed a Lancaster bomber was allegedly found on the moon......... turned out that was incorrect.
I remember we were told that Iraq had WOMD...... turned out that was incorrect.

This article if true, probable hits the nerves of most normal, decent people.

https://columbustelegram.com/news/opinion/columnists/america-is-not-a-land-of-racists/article_c1a7d5db-b6c7-526a-a4be-5c02c44329fd.html

Recall see a demonstrators poster, say "If your quiet in relation to BLM your a racist". or words to that effect.   So that makes most of us racist in their eyes, which most of us know it's not true.  

12 hours ago, antrin said:

You asked me questions and I answered them, you don’t need to question the answers as if you were bazil.  Just ignore me.  You don’t want my help.

:)

OK so as I thought, there is no mandatory national service in the US and hasn't been for 50 years. Why you would insinuate otherwise in that first post is beyond me.

As for the rest of your glorious rant, I have to say that I don't believe that adopting a mindset of victimhood is a particularly healthy way to live your life. It's negative, destructive and ultimately the world doesn't care. People can spend their precious 80 years or so whining about hard life is if they want but it's their own lives they are wasting. The earth will keep spinning.

As for me, I'm not remotely interested in justifying my feelings towards anyone or explaining my own background. We all have hurdles antrin. Most of us don't sit around bitching about about our lot and committing crimes against other struggling people to make ourselves feel better.

Edited by oaksoft

OK so as I thought, there is no mandatory national service in the US and hasn't been for 50 years. Why you would insinuate otherwise in that first post is beyond me.
As for the rest of your glorious rant, I have to say that I don't believe that adopting a mindset of victimhood is a particularly healthy way to live your life. It's negative, destructive and ultimately the world doesn't care. People can spend their precious 80 years or so whining about hard life is if they want but it's their own lives they are wasting. The earth will keep spinning.
As for me, I'm not remotely interested in justifying my feelings towards anyone or explaining my own background. We all have hurdles antrin. Most of us don't sit around bitching about about our lot and committing crimes against other struggling people to make ourselves feel better.
You obviously didn't get the past Trump reference rather than it being about now. [emoji6]