Black Lives Matter

shull

You really know how to take yourself too seriously. [emoji1]
Illuminate us all, oh great one - in what way am I taking myself too seriously? By quoting Buzz Lightyear? Really?

Have a think about it...if you can ever (con)descend any lower than you've already achieved, of course. But we all need goals in these difficult times.

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I see the police have got the racist vermin that sent racist comments to a WBA player.

A 49 year old, hope he gets what's coming, scum.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of racially abusing West Bromwich Albion midfielder Romaine Sawyers online.

The Premier League club had reported to police on Friday that a racist message was sent to Sawyers during the team's 5-0 loss to Manchester City on Tuesday.

Late on Friday, West Midlands Police said it had taken a 49-year-old man from Kingswinford, a town 10 miles from West Bromwich, into custody for questioning.

"Our dedicated football hate crime officer is also investigating another report of a racist comment towards the same footballer," the police said. "We will not tolerate racism."

West Brom had called for the "toughest available legal punishment".

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

A man has been arrested on suspicion of racially abusing West Bromwich Albion midfielder Romaine Sawyers online.

The Premier League club had reported to police on Friday that a racist message was sent to Sawyers during the team's 5-0 loss to Manchester City on Tuesday.

Late on Friday, West Midlands Police said it had taken a 49-year-old man from Kingswinford, a town 10 miles from West Bromwich, into custody for questioning.

"Our dedicated football hate crime officer is also investigating another report of a racist comment towards the same footballer," the police said. "We will not tolerate racism."

And this is the exact reason why we need the kneeling thing before games to continue permanently IMO.

Forget the BLM political association. Eradicating everyday racism like this is the point of all of this.

No wonder they got pumped 5-0 if he was on his phone during the game 🤭

I've said for a while that this "taking the knee" has run its course and the recent apparent upsurge in abuse of high profile black and ethnic people may just be because it continues. In my opinion, highlighting one section of the population, even for the right reasons, is divisionary  and, eventually, counterproductive. To some this slogan may be tantamount to suggesting that other lives don't matter as much. It could, and may well did, give reactionaries a platform to further divide.

For certain. Ensure we are all treated equal as far as creed and colour are concerned but ensure we are being inclusive when condemning those who seek to persecute and harass those who they see as different. After all. We are ALL precisely that. Different.

Rant over. 

I've said for a while that this "taking the knee" has run its course and the recent apparent upsurge in abuse of high profile black and ethnic people may just be because it continues. In my opinion, highlighting one section of the population, even for the right reasons, is divisionary  and, eventually, counterproductive. To some this slogan may be tantamount to suggesting that other lives don't matter as much. It could, and may well did, give reactionaries a platform to further divide.
For certain. Ensure we are all treated equal as far as creed and colour are concerned but ensure we are being inclusive when condemning those who seek to persecute and harass those who they see as different. After all. We are ALL precisely that. Different.
Rant over. 

Better watch out, I was branded a racist on here for pointing out that very thing quite a while ago.

3 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I've said for a while that this "taking the knee" has run its course and the recent apparent upsurge in abuse of high profile black and ethnic people may just be because it continues. In my opinion, highlighting one section of the population, even for the right reasons, is divisionary 

When that one section of the population is still routinely being discriminated against in all areas of life then it isn't divisionary to take the knee. It is a mark of solidarity with their struggle. This is not something white people in this country have ever historically had to worry about due to our skin colour and IMO we are not displaying enough understanding of this point when we shout "All Lives Matter". They SHOULD matter but quite a few lives seem to matter a lot less than others.

Change is coming. People are no longer prepared to tolerate this shit.

Rather than worrying about how it might make a dwindling number of racists feel, maybe we should get behind the solidarity message. It's the very least we can do. Upsetting a few bastards is an inevitability of any societal change and it's about time we  as a society started aggressively rooting them out. If the simple act of taking a knee is the way to do that then that's a good thing.

Oh and blaming the taking of a knee for the uprise in racist attacks is as clear an example of victim blaming as you'll get. We should stop doing that.

Edited by oaksoft

When that one section of the population is still routinely being discriminated against in all areas of life then it isn't divisionary to take the knee. It is a mark of solidarity with their struggle. This is not something white people in this country have ever historically had to worry about due to our skin colour and IMO we are not displaying enough understanding of this point when we shout "All Lives Matter". They SHOULD matter but quite a few lives seem to matter a lot less than others.
Rather than worrying about how it might make a dwindling number of racists feel, maybe we should get behind the solidarity message. It's the very least we can do. Upsetting a few bastards is an inevitability of any societal change and it's about time we  as a society started aggressively rooting them out. If the simple act of taking a knee is the way to do that then that's a good thing.
Oh and blaming the taking of a knee for the uprise in racist attacks is as clear an example of victim blaming as you'll get. We should stop doing that.

So you think it should be "All Lives Matter" then. Or at least "Black Lives Matter Too".

46 minutes ago, Slarti said:

So you think it should be "All Lives Matter" then. Or at least "Black Lives Matter Too".

"All Lives Matter" completely misses the point.

I did suggest a while back that Black Lives Matters Too would be a better name but again getting bogged down on a name misses the point.

The point is that discrimination against people of colour is real and happens in every facet of life in ways which white people generally don't have to think about. For me, this is about solidarity. Nothing more.

I did suggest a while back that Black Lives Matters Too would be a better name but again getting bogged down on a name misses the point.
The point is that discrimination against people of colour is real and happens in every facet of life in ways which white people generally don't have to think about. For me, this is about solidarity. Nothing more.
But it doesn't miss the point. The name of any organisation, especially one that is trying to get a message across with the name alone, is very important.

For example, take that knitting club and craft shop you started, if you had called it "Kill All Ni**ers" instead of "Oaky's Amazing Knits and Yarns", do you think it would have attracted a different clientele due to the "message" the name sends?

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

But it doesn't miss the point. The name of any organisation, especially one that is trying to get a message across with the name alone, is very important.

For example, take that knitting club and craft shop you started, if you had called it "Kill All Ni**ers" instead of "Oaky's Amazing Knits and Yarns", do you think it would have attracted a different clientele due to the "message" the name sends?

OK that's me out of this discussion.

11 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Your very first sentence suggests you take a simplistic look at racism. Do you really think that blacks are the only ones who are routinely discriminated against? Taking the knee is a singular gesture for ONE minority group. There are many minorities targeted by different groups. I feel singling out one section is counterproductive. Especially when it ignores other parts of society similarly maltreated. If you think I'm worried about how those malevolent idiots feel you don't, or don't want to, see my point.  I feel we need to be inclusive when pointing out and trying to end racism in ALL its forms. I think we need to move on and look at ALL those who are abused and threatened. I suggested from the outset that it would have been more appropriate to say, as Slarti alluded to, "Black lives matter TOO". To suggest I was blaming the movement for the upsurge in racism is, again, simplistic. I was suggesting that it creates a target. It singles out a group. It does the opposite from its intentions. As usual you take a snippit of a post and run with it which takes it out of context. 

9 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Yet you continue to suggest that its only the colour black that should matter. And there are many white people, even in this country, who have been put upon. For a while the Polish community were abused for "stealing our jobs". Solidarity is precisely why we should NOT highlight one particular section of humanity.