Black Lives Matter

shull

Friends, I would like to ask you how there is a correlation between arms control in a country, especially a democratic country such as the United States of America, and the riots that are taking place here? Indeed, during the recent protests for the rights of the black population, a lot of people went out to protests with weapons, which could lead to very dire consequences. Here, on  this link I read some interesting and constructive research on the subject and wanted to know your opinion on this matter. Will legalization of weapons have a positive effect on people's struggle for their rights, or will it lead to negative consequences?

On 2/17/2021 at 3:16 PM, Kingsley Hall said:

I absolutely agree with you. very deep thoughts that respond within me.

5 hours ago, Kingsley Hall said:

Friends, I would like to ask you how there is a correlation between arms control in a country, especially a democratic country such as the United States of America, and the riots that are taking place here? Indeed, during the recent protests for the rights of the black population, a lot of people went out to protests with weapons, which could lead to very dire consequences. Here, on  this link I read some interesting and constructive research on the subject and wanted to know your opinion on this matter. Will legalization of weapons have a positive effect on people's struggle for their rights, or will it lead to negative consequences?

What fresh hell is this? :blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, munoz said:

Justice done for a change. 

Agree 100%, the audacity of this man, who came across as arrogant and as if he had no regrets, to try to stick with the pathetic defence.

No remorse throughout the trial hopefully helped the jury come the guilty decision.

This sends out a very strong message that this level of abuse of power will not go unpunished.

Let's hope, and there's almost weekly instances of police brutality, sees a real change in reform. 

Justice done for a change. 

Correct decision and should never have happened.

Our company sent out a global email this morning,

It suggests it was racially motivated and asks us to ‘Honor Mr Floyd’s memory’

[emoji15]

He should 100% not have died, been killed, effectively murdered and thankfully, the police officer found guilty, but, I certainly won’t be honouring a violent criminal

On 2/12/2021 at 9:40 AM, Slarti said:

But it doesn't miss the point. The name of any organisation, especially one that is trying to get a message across with the name alone, is very important.

For example, take that knitting club and craft shop you started, if you had called it "Kill All Ni**ers" instead of "Oaky's Amazing Knits and Yarns", do you think it would have attracted a different clientele due to the "message" the name sends?

I think you mis-spelled "knitters"

6 hours ago, Scott-Leeds said:

Correct decision and should never have happened.

Our company sent out a global email this morning,

It suggests it was racially motivated and asks us to ‘Honor Mr Floyd’s memory’

emoji15.png

He should 100% not have died, been killed, effectively murdered and thankfully, the police officer found guilty, but, I certainly won’t be honouring a violent criminal

A "violent criminal " ? 

As far as I know , are his previous offences not theft and drug charges mainly. 

Derek Chauvin on the the other hand is a violent criminal. 

13 minutes ago, munoz said:

A "violent criminal " ? 

Aye, we shouldn't see these people as "saints" or over dramatize their criminal activity.

A recent news item had a 13 year old black child shot with his hands in the air by a policeman.

Shocking and looked like this was a massive over reaction.

The "boy", seemingly, had a gun which he'd thrown away, so, again, no need to shoot him.

Underneath this, this happened in the early hours of the morning, between 2:00 am and 3:00 am, you have to ask WTF was a 13 year old doing at that time and with a gun? 

Did he deserve to be shot and die, certainly not, but if he hadn't been out and about with a gun he wouldn't have died.

Tragic all round IMO. 

(All of the above is from snippets I seen on the news, can't be arsed researching any more, it won't change the important issue here)

22 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, we shouldn't see these people as "saints" or over dramatize their criminal activity.

A recent news item had a 13 year old black child shot with his hands in the air by a policeman.

Shocking and looked like this was a massive over reaction.

The "boy", seemingly, had a gun which he'd thrown away, so, again, no need to shoot him.

Underneath this, this happened in the early hours of the morning, between 2:00 am and 3:00 am, you have to ask WTF was a 13 year old doing at that time and with a gun? 

Did he deserve to be shot and die, certainly not, but if he hadn't been out and about with a gun he wouldn't have died.

Tragic all round IMO. 

(All of the above is from snippets I seen on the news, can't be arsed researching any more, it won't change the important issue here)

Offering himself on a plate? B)

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty Tuesday of three charges in the death of George Floyd: second-degree unintentional murder, third- degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

What's next

After Judge Peter Cahill read and confirmed the verdict with the jury, he announced technical next steps, including scheduling sentencing in eight weeks time.

Cahill said the court would look at written arguments from Chauvin "within one week" and issue factual findings on it. Then they will order a pre-sentencing investigation report, "returnable in four weeks." That will be followed by a briefing on the pre-sentencing investigation report six weeks from now.

The sentencing

The maximum sentence for second-degree unintentional murder is imprisonment of not more than 40 years. The maximum sentence for third-degree murder is imprisonment of not more than 25 years. The maximum sentence for second-degree manslaughter is 10 years and/or $20,000.

Former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was found guilty Tuesday of three charges in the death of George Floyd: second-degree unintentional murder, third- degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.

What's next

After Judge Peter Cahill read and confirmed the verdict with the jury, he announced technical next steps, including scheduling sentencing in eight weeks time.

Cahill said the court would look at written arguments from Chauvin "within one week" and issue factual findings on it. Then they will order a pre-sentencing investigation report, "returnable in four weeks." That will be followed by a briefing on the pre-sentencing investigation report six weeks from now.

The sentencing

The maximum sentence for second-degree unintentional murder is imprisonment of not more than 40 years. The maximum sentence for third-degree murder is imprisonment of not more than 25 years. The maximum sentence for second-degree manslaughter is 10 years and/or $20,000.

Not 100% sure how the US system works but I'm assuming that these would run concurrently and so the maximum would, in reality, be 40 years. I could obviously be wrong, though.

3 hours ago, munoz said:

A "violent criminal " ? 

His previous record is not good at all but did seem to be trying to turn his life around.  No one deserves to die the way he did.

.https://greatgameindia.com/george-floyd-criminal/

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think Floyd deserves to die like this. But people are really not happy that it was the criminal who became the face of BLM, whether he was violent or not, but he was a criminal. But this does not negate the fact that many innocent black people suffered or were killed simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have done research on the topic with the help of the website https://samploon.com/free-essays/black-lives-matter/ and learned many horror stories about those who innocently died due to racism and racial profiling.

Edited by Lorry23

On 5/6/2021 at 9:27 AM, Lorry23 said:

I don't think Floyd deserves to die like this. But people are really not happy that it was the criminal who became the face of BLM, whether he was violent or not, but he was a criminal. But this does not negate the fact that many innocent black people suffered or were killed simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I have done research on the topic with the help of the website https://samploon.com/free-essays/black-lives-matter/ and learned many horror stories about those who innocently died due to racism and racial profiling.

Oh what fresh hell is this.