Night Shifts

Looking for some advice.

Been lucky over the years to have worked early and day shifts. Done the occasional back and from memory only did 4 night shifts. Not including any call outs.

In the near future I'll be transferring onto 4 x 12 hour Night Shifts 6pm - 6am Monday to Thursday.

If you've done anything similar what do you suggest as in sleep/eat pattern?

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

Looking for some advice.

Been lucky over the years to have worked early and day shifts. Done the occasional back and from memory only did 4 night shifts. Not including any call outs.

In the near future I'll be transferring onto 4 x 12 hour Night Shifts 6pm - 6am Monday to Thursday.

Everybody adapts to night shift slightly differently.

There are two main sleeping patters that I used many years ago.

Stay up for a few hours when you get home, not always easy, then get to bed and aim to wake up in just enough time to get up and treat it as a normal "morning" starting routine. This should let you get through the night fairly well although the first night is a cnut. Try to grab some sleep on the Monday whenever you can, it;ll help that first night.

The other method is get straight to bed, wake up a few hours before your due to start and head off. This gives you a wee bit of "life", especially if you have a wife/partner, around tea time. Again, try to grab some sleep on the Monday.

Now, the last shift.....................some people go to bed for a few hours, get up around lunchtime and try to have a normal Friday. I found the problem with this was when I went out with my mates on a Friday night I fell apart after half a dozen pints due to lack of sleep so I abandoned that idea and slept till tea time. 

Some people didn't go to bed at all, convincing themselves they had this as a free day.

I tried it once, feck that, Friday night was a mess.

All in all I hated night shift and have never done it again since my early 20's.

On the other hand some people loved it, they were on permanent nights for years and years.

All the best. 

I used to love nightshift, more selfish reasons though, stopped me going out and saved me money. I worked 10pm - 8am. I would normally get home have my breakfast, go to bed, set my alarm for about 5;30, would always wake up before then. To me it was a better sleep as I woke up naturally and not with an alarm going off.

It will take you a few weeks to get used to it, for me I would probably try and get up early on the Friday about 1ish so your weekends are kind off normal. Just need to be careful that you don't waste the Friday after work  and Monday before work

That’s a tough shift. To be on that permanently starts to impact on any social life you may have had.

Hopefully just for 3 months. Has been suggested that they'd be OT day shift at the weekend available. Mmmmm safe working environment or having to put up with moaning face players and supporters because they don't like a decision I've made. [emoji6]

As for the deleted part of your post, hell would freeze over before I listened to anything that plick said.

I do alternate 4x12 hour day then night shifts.

The first n/s is always a killer as I rise early normally about 7-8am so it can be almost 24 hours without a proper sleep - I try to minimize screen time in the run-up to the first shift and find if you can get through it the rest are a lot easier. Generally when I return home I tend to have a coupla slices of toast a shower and straight to bed getting as much sleep as possible (normally about  6 hours) - if you do wake up mid-morning have a glass of milk & go back to bed but never watch TV till you properly get up as this makes it harder to get back to sleep.

Coming off n/s I always try and get up as early as possible, before noon even if it means I tend to crash out at about 10pm - that should give you a proper weekend - not ideal but unless you find a rich woman it's the best you can do.

Edited by Bud the Baker

43 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:
1 hour ago, windae cleaner said:
Basically 12 hour shifts are shite day or night

££££££££££££££££££

There is the money aspect, and there's plenty up here that actively seek jobs that offer what we call Continental shifts.

These are not just 12 hour  shifts they are usually 2 nights, 2 days, then you're MEANT to have a couple of days off.

On a regular basis the greed results in them grabbing any overtime they can.

Unfortunately these days off are, more often than not, weekdays when most people are working.

These people can't have any normal pass times, football, pool, darts, anything to be honest.

Their life just revolves around work, and falling over themselves to get EXTRA shifts.

Aye, it gives you money but no life.

That's the balance, me, I've avoided these places like the plague.

I had an interview for The Wood Group a few years ago in Dundee, I phoned to ask if the job would include shifts, "Yes"................"I'll not bother wasting your time and my time, thanks". :byebye

Edited by faraway saint

13 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Looking for some advice.

I've never worked a night shift. Must be tough to do. 

14 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Looking for some advice.

Part of it will all depend on what your job is and is it indoors or outdoors. 

Other part is what age are you and do you normally get a good sleep.

When I was young, I could sleep for 8 hrs ok but that reduced to 4 hrs when I got to my fifties.

Everybody is different and it can effect everybody different.

I certainly got more grumpy than usual due to the lack of sleep  :argue:

My 2nd best moment in work was around 6 years ago the n/s got stopped for good and everybody went on to straight d/s   :clapping

My best moment was when I got paid off and was able to retire  :thumbs2

Best of luck and hopefully you are 1 of the lucky one it doesn't effect   :snore

Part of it will all depend on what your job is and is it indoors or outdoors. 
Other part is what age are you and do you normally get a good sleep.
When I was young, I could sleep for 8 hrs ok but that reduced to 4 hrs when I got to my fifties.
Everybody is different and it can effect everybody different.
I certainly got more grumpy than usual due to the lack of sleep  :argue:
My 2nd best moment in work was around 6 years ago the n/s got stopped for good and everybody went on to straight d/s   :clapping
My best moment was when I got paid off and was able to retire  :thumbs2
Best of luck and hopefully you are 1 of the lucky one it doesn't effect   :snore

Only restless nights I ever had was after playing/training at ice hockey on a sunday. Usual only got 90 minutes of sleep but was in bed early on a Monday catching up.

15 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Only restless nights I ever had was after playing/training at ice hockey on a sunday. Usual only got 90 minutes of sleep but was in bed early on a Monday catching up.

Should you no be in your bed practising for this night shift malarky? 😀

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Sleeping during the day is completely different from sleeping at night. 

It will be trials and errors for the 1st few weeks until you find a sleep pattern that suits you.

Should you no be in your bed practising for this night shift malarky? [emoji3]
NAW, Just finished working my 19th consecutive shift. Off till Monday when I start my night shifts.

Thanks buds, my plan was and I'll try sticking to it is,

Sleep Mon to Thurs 9/10am - 4pm
Work 6pm - 6am

Sleep Fri - Sun 6am - 1pm

Think I'm about to start watching some box sets so many folk have been going on about. [emoji848]

2 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

NAW, Just finished working my 19th consecutive shift. Off till Monday when I start my night shifts.

Thanks buds, my plan was and I'll try sticking to it is,

Sleep Mon to Thurs 9/10am - 4pm
Work 6pm - 6am

Sleep Fri - Sun 6am - 1pm

Think I'm about to start watching some box sets so many folk have been going on about. emoji848.png

Got disaster written all over it. :lol:

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, herman_munster said:

On your days off, get up at the same time, even if its only for a piss or a cup of tea try not to sleep through.

Staying awake after your last night shift is not good, try and keep the same sleep patter on your days off.

I did 3 days on 3 days off on a 12 hour night shift, on my first day off I used to sleep for the whole 24 hours,

until I got used to it

Jeezo, that's some doing, even for a lazy cnut like you. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...