And then there were 4

• 2 years later...

Colt teams yet again back on the agenda with big changes proposed for the pyramid. 

promoting four B teams without sporting accomplishment, relegating over 100 other teams & league integrity completely in the bin with no promotion or relegation.  

Plans that are once again only designed for the needs & wants of the bigot brothers. 

St Mirren are set to vote on this, hopefully once again fan power comes through & we say no to preferential treatment. 

Edited by bazil85

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Colt teams yet again back on the agenda with big changes proposed for the pyramid. 

promoting four B teams without sporting accomplishment, relegating over 100 other teams & league integrity completely in the bin with no promotion or relegation.  

Plans that are once again only designed for the needs & wants of the bigot brothers. 

St Mirren are set to vote on this, hopefully once again fan power comes through & we say no to preferential treatment. 

It's an absolutely ridiculous idea and detrimental to most clubs trying to move up the ladder. In a country where there are probably more clubs than should be they decide it's good to add MORE teams into the pyramid? I should be astounded by the stupidity but I'm not. The tail continues to wag the dog when we are controlled by the greed of the two Glasgow @rsecheeks.

23 hours ago, bazil85 said:

Is this possibly why the Black Rooster Mick Kennedy at Darvel resigned the other week and moved to East Kilbride, as he seen no pathway for Darvel to progress? He was very vocal about it last season. After all, his team won their division and still had to play another 2 legged game to make it into the Lowland which they respectively lost.

23 hours ago, kevo_smfc said:

Is this possibly why the Black Rooster Mick Kennedy at Darvel resigned the other week and moved to East Kilbride, as he seen no pathway for Darvel to progress? He was very vocal about it last season. After all, his team won their division and still had to play another 2 legged game to make it into the Lowland which they respectively lost.

He's been quite vocal on twitter against this yes. Also said that from the briefing they've had, it's a "done deal" 

Very unfortunate if true. I can't for the life of me work out why professional league clubs would back it. It's basically saying "Here is a proposal that will make it even easier for the big four or five clubs to snatch up any of your promising young prospects for knock down prices. Given they can now offer first team football in a league that will probably have similar funding to League 1 & League 2."

Turkeys voting for Christmas. 

11 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

He's been quite vocal on twitter against this yes. Also said that from the briefing they've had, it's a "done deal" 

Very unfortunate if true. I can't for the life of me work out why professional league clubs would back it. It's basically saying "Here is a proposal that will make it even easier for the big four or five clubs to snatch up any of your promising young prospects for knock down prices. Given they can now offer first team football in a league that will probably have similar funding to League 1 & League 2."

Turkeys voting for Christmas. 

The point of the pyramid system when it was first introduced was to make a pathway for Junior teams to make their way into the professional league, as it should, as well make the bottom of League 2 more meaningful. It has unfortunately been bastardised since its creation. 

3 hours ago, Sue Denim said:

B teams should never be allowed in the pyramid system

But, to begin with, we need to start a new league without the Old Firm

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where all the non Old Firm teams stand legally in terms of walking away and starting their own league?

On one hand you would think that clubs can do whatever they like, but on the other hand it seems unlikely that all the other clubs could be able to effectively put the Old Firm out of business (which that would pretty much amount to as they’d have no one to play except each other).

13 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know where all the non Old Firm teams stand legally in terms of walking away and starting their own league?

On one hand you would think that clubs can do whatever they like, but on the other hand it seems unlikely that all the other clubs could be able to effectively put the Old Firm out of business (which that would pretty much amount to as they’d have no one to play except each other).

I think this came up before and it was quoted as two years notice to resign from the league. 

I guess that makes sense, clubs can’t be forced to stay in a structure. The issue might be in starting a new league as an official, UEFA/ FIFA Scottish league. 

I would love clubs to do it. 

2 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think this came up before and it was quoted as two years notice to resign from the league. 

I guess that makes sense, clubs can’t be forced to stay in a structure. The issue might be in starting a new league as an official, UEFA/ FIFA Scottish league. 

I would love clubs to do it. 

It’s a difficult one.

My preference would always have been for the other teams to simply threaten the OF into submission, but for me the opportunity to create any level of equity between clubs is long gone.

Back in the 70s and 80s I had no problem with the OF being the biggest clubs because they were so by virtue of their larger fan base only. Whilst this obviously still gave them greater spending power than the others, the gulf was nowhere near as big as it is now and other teams had the opportunity to win trophies and even the league (Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and almost Hearts).

However the millions the OF have accumulated since the 90s through the Champions League/European football, now make the position irreversible. Even getting agreement now on a more equitable split of revenue going forward, would never be enough to change the current situation. 

Therefore, sadly I believe the only possible way forward if we want equity, is a league without the OF which we would have to accept would attract far less interest than it does now.