Sad farewell Willie

faraway saint

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Before his pro snooker career I can remember a very young Willie Thorne taking part in the pool competition on TV's Indoor League hosted by ex-cricketer Fred Trueman back in the early-70s.

Funny you say that, he was quite keen to have a couple of games of pool when I seen him in Paisley but there wasn't time. 

On 3/30/2014 at 12:52 PM, faraway saint said:

Willie Thorn played an challenge match against Eddie Sinclair, Scottish professional but pretty rubbish, at the Cue Ball.

Thorn won the first couple of frames, almost had one of his famous 147's and was looking like he couldn't miss a ball.

Sinclair then produced one of THE best potting exhibitions I've ever seen, won 6-2.

A few weeks later he was playing Kirk Stevens n the World Championship, he was 10/1.

I'm having some of that I said, he got beat 10-1, was lucky to get one, bottled it in front of the cameras.

B'strd.

I posted the above 6 years ago.

Was the Cue Ball in Shuttle Street? Seem to remember it being a  half decent venue with loads of tables and arcade machines. Perhaps I should have spent more time in school that in there.
I recently played snooker at the auld Leisureland in the high street. It’s not changed much.
One of my best memories of playing snooker was playing at Raffles Hotel in Singapore on supposedly one of the oldest tables in the world. 

I very nearly ripped the table at the opening break. Ha ha. I much prefer playing pool. 

RIP Wullie.
Cue ball was Kilnside House, Seedhill Road.

Flamingo was shuttle street.

20 hours ago, Yflab said:

Ah thank you. I remember playing in both. Did the Cue Ball not burn down in suspicious circumstances?

This thread goes into detail on quite a few mysterious fires. :wink:

PS Reading through the thread was very pleasant, no trolling, what a difference it makes. 

Edited by faraway saint

21 hours ago, Yflab said:

Was the Cue Ball in Shuttle Street? Seem to remember it being a  half decent venue with loads of tables and arcade machines. Perhaps I should have spent more time in school that in there.

I recently played snooker at the auld Leisureland in the high street. It’s not changed much.

One of my best memories of playing snooker was playing at Raffles Hotel in Singapore on supposedly one of the oldest tables in the world. 

I very nearly ripped the table at the opening break. Ha ha. I much prefer playing pool. 

RIP Wullie.

My picture was on the wall for years, managed to reach the final of a big pool tournament they held.

It attracted, due to the prize money, quite a few big names from the Glasgow pool league. 

Unfortunately I lost to a team mate from the Rockfield in the final. :(