Two coming in?

11 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Source is Barry Fry....nuff said. Falls firmly into the believe it when I see it category. Strange we are signing players and being linked with paying fees (with the Fry caveat) when bigger clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen are publicly talking about paying off staff. Were those the 2 clubs unwilling to furlough staff I wonder ?

Bigger probably says it all.  Bigger pool of players. Certainly more than us. 

25 minutes ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Source is Barry Fry....nuff said. Falls firmly into the believe it when I see it category. Strange we are signing players and being linked with paying fees (with the Fry caveat) when bigger clubs like Hibs and Aberdeen are publicly talking about paying off staff. Were those the 2 clubs unwilling to furlough staff I wonder ?

Because we live within our means. Hence how our board haven’t been pleading poverty in the press the last few months unlike “bigger” clubs like aberdeen and hibs.

11 minutes ago, mattman said:

Because we live within our means. Hence how our board haven’t been pleading poverty in the press the last few months unlike “bigger” clubs like aberdeen and hibs.

If I am reading their accounts properly, Aberdeen racked up losses of £5m last year and £500k the year before and now covid has hit them.

Hibs appear to be in a better position having made a £2m profit but that was only because of player sales (McGinn presumably) otherwise they'd have made a loss of around £750k.

I really don't know what these club owners are not understanding about having a rainy day fund.

If I am reading their accounts properly, Aberdeen racked up losses of £5m last year and £500k the year before and now covid has hit them.
Hibs appear to be in a better position having made a £2m profit but that was only because of player sales (McGinn presumably) otherwise they'd have made a loss of around £750k.
I really don't know what these club owners are not understanding about having a rainy day fund.
That point could be put to every business announcing job losses during the current crisis in that case. It's not specific to the football sector. Using that logic the economy would not be "f**ked" like we keep hearing it's going to be. Seems a tad disingenuous just to apply it to football clubs.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

Higher expenses I guess. But.. You make a good point. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That point could be put to every business announcing job losses during the current crisis in that case. It's not specific to the football sector. Using that logic the economy would not be "f**ked" like we keep hearing it's going to be. Seems a tad disingenuous just to apply it to football clubs.

It was in response to a post about two specific football clubs.

I didn't think bringing up Virgin Airlines or Debenhams was relevant.

It was in response to a post about two specific football clubs.
I didn't think bringing up Virgin Airlines or Debenhams was relevant.
The sentiment remains the same , plenty businesses big or small have no provision to survive something like we are seeing now despite massive govt intervention. It appears despite what many have said to the contrary in the past on here that thankfully we did.

M

The sentiment remains the same , plenty businesses big or small have no provision to survive something like we are seeing now despite massive govt intervention. It appears despite what many have said to the contrary in the past on here that thankfully we did.
Maybe we will use the £50k we got from the Hearts guy to bring in Mark O'Hara just saying!

Goodwin saying he's looking for 4 or 5 more to come in tonight on STV.

No different to what he's said yesterday on Sky Sports News.

Knowing Goodwin, he'll stretch that out to the full 5. I reckon he's also clearly downplaying it a wee bit as well given we just bid significant (for us) cash on a player last week that we ultimately just missed out on.

Even if he does have a bit to throw about, he's not going to say 'I've got plenty of budget left' in the knowledge that agents are still trying to get as big a deal as possible for players.

I think in the circumstances, if we start the season with 7 or 8 new faces, we'd have done OK.