Working, Furloughed or Inactive

St.Ricky

7 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I am glad to say that my investments are already higher than the peak in February. I don’t use a “financial advisor/salesman” or active funds as imo they are a drag on returns with their fees.

I was just lazy. Mind you, the fact that it took a month for the transfers of my wife's and my own Isas to go through lost us 20%gain on those funds. That's life

Edited by St.Ricky

1 minute ago, Yflab said:

Probably cost you thousands and thousands of pounds. Depending on the value of your investments it could be hundreds of thousands over your lifetime, 

I can’t believe that in this day and age that people spend more time researching the latest phone or holiday destination than they do for their pensions. Madness. 

One Step Beyond......

Got to agree. 

3 minutes ago, Yflab said:

Probably cost you thousands and thousands of pounds. Depending on the value of your investments it could be hundreds of thousands over your lifetime, 

I can’t believe that in this day and age that people spend more time researching the latest phone or holiday destination than they do for their pensions. Madness. 

One Step Beyond......

Yeah but life is also too short to be obsessing over money bud.

It's also too short to be overly worrying about pensions because we might not even live that long.

State pension and some savings will do me. If need be there's a house to sell.

Edited by oaksoft

7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Yeah but life is also too short to be obsessing over money bud.

It's also too short to be overly worrying about pensions because we might not even live that long.

State pension and some savings will do me. If need be there's a house to sell.

Do I give the impression that I am worried about it? I agree with YF that not enough people plan. I have. You are then discussing how active you want to be. I'm not interested in being as active as I could be but happy to acknowledge that this has cost me money. 

Money in itself hasn't motivated me for the last 40 years. Before that, it did. Think Maslow. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Since I have a finance and business background then that would be possible. I just can't be bothered even for the 30 minutes or less it migh take. There are a number of decent apps one could use. So yes.. I'm sure YF could. 

Edited by St.Ricky

Just to pick on on Oaksoft's comment on death before.. Or even during.. Pension time. I made the decision to make sure that my fund would pass to my family and not dissappear into the ether. Doesn't suit everybody, but it suits me. 

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

It takes me 30minutes once a month to do our finances, I’d hardly call that obsessing. 

Can you do anything for me flab's ? Don't have a private pension,  have about £450 in the bank,  £150 once i buy my season ticket,  Due to retire in 4 year and still got 5 year on my mortgage !  Have I left it too late :zipit 

2 minutes ago, portmahomack saint said:

Can you do anything for me flab's ? Don't have a private pension,  have about £450 in the bank,  £150 once i buy my season ticket,  Due to retire in 4 year and still got 5 year on my mortgage !  Have I left it too late :zipit 

Don't be planning any exotic holidays in the future. 😉

3 hours ago, Yflab said:

I do own technology shares through discounted work schemes, but our main investments are in low cost global tracker funds (75%) and bonds (25%). My wife could easily retire at 55 if she chose to due to the decisions we have made with any “independent (ha ha) financial advice”. 

If you want to know more about the investment strategy I’d recommend this book https://www.amazon.co.uk/Simple-Path-Wealth-financial-independence-ebook/dp/B01H97OQY2/

Although it’s based on the American market, the main themes are sound.

Another book that should be made mandatory reading in schools would be

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaningful-Money-Handbook-Everything-everything/dp/0857196510/

Retiring at 55?

Brrrrrr. Not for me.

ETA. My wife has just reminded me that we have two ISA portfolios which have been running for years and which we'll leave till retirement, and a couple of mortgage endowments which are due to payout this year despite the mortgage being paid off a while ago. Forgot all about those. 🤣

Maybe I'll be able to retire this year after all. I'm only 50 though so it's a bit early for wearing slippers and reading newspapers all day.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, Yflab said:

I might be good at investing, but I’m shite at maths. I’m only focused on compound interest which Einstein described as the eighth wonder of the world, but Dr @oaksoft should know that already.

In my defence I thought the cost of his Season Ticket was £150. Doh!

I think what's worse is that you think he can give me £150 and with that sound investment, solve my financial problems AND get a lifetime's supply of toilet paper. 🤣

2 minutes ago, Yflab said:

So what you are telling us is that your wife is the financial brains and your biggest responsibility is making sure you don’t run out of bog roll?

Don't you start judgng me......

Yes though. She looks after the money. My job is to make her dinner and look pretty.

Edited by oaksoft

44 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I think what's worse is that you think he can give me £150 and with that sound investment, solve my financial problems AND get a lifetime's supply of toilet paper. 🤣

Don't exaggerate. 

Where can anyone get a lifetime supply of toilet paper....... 

No, not too late , use the remaining £150 for a tent & mini cooker & we’ll find you a tenant for your house & you can live off the income [emoji23] minus the handling fee

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

Retiring at 55?

Brrrrrr. Not for me.

ETA. My wife has just reminded me that we have two ISA portfolios which have been running for years and which we'll leave till retirement, and a couple of mortgage endowments which are due to payout this year despite the mortgage being paid off a while ago. Forgot all about those. 🤣

Maybe I'll be able to retire this year after all. I'm only 50 though so it's a bit early for wearing slippers and reading newspapers all day.

Throw in a trip to the pub and you might just persuade me. 

216A79F9-2FCD-4ABE-AFC5-18B4325538FE.jpeg