Disappointing

7 minutes ago, Meiksyboy said:

Is it just me or are most Saints fans always hopeful but usually disappointed when transfer window comes along and as usual we faff about and miss all the good signings and at the last minute panic into taking any players that are still available?

It seems a mixture of blindly optimistic that will defend the situation and players we sign, however obscure.

The other side is the silent majority who just see it as the continual barrel scraping, praying for a signing that will buck the trend.

I prefer to let things take their course and let the facts speak for themselves, good or bad. 

38 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

It seems a mixture of blindly optimistic that will defend the situation and players we sign, however obscure.

The other side is the silent majority who just see it as the continual barrel scraping, praying for a signing that will buck the trend.

I prefer to let things take their course and let the facts speak for themselves, good or bad. 

Your best post of the decade. Nice.

Don't think the last two pre-seasons have helped, managers appointed later than expected. Players who potentially we're linked with then sign for another club. Just now I'm blindly optimistic, lol. Come transfer deadline day (whenever that is) I'll be eagerly anticipating the 35 yr old free transfer 

8 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:

Is it just me or are most Saints fans always hopeful but usually disappointed when transfer window comes along and as usual we faff about and miss all the good signings and at the last minute panic into taking any players that are still available?

I don't think we've missed anyone through faffing about in this window. In fact we've been one of the most active sides so far in what has been a very uncertain time. By all accounts we'd been pretty organised going into this pre-season but of course there has been circumstances outwith our control that threw a bit of a spanner in the works. 

I'm not sure what this is in reference to. I'm guessing the fact that Hibs did quite a lot of business yesterday but their fans have been saying the exact same thing before now. Yesterday was their first business of this season so far. Gogic signing was one that we'd been very proactive in contacting early doors but once you know bigger money is on the table than we can offer, there's not a lot we can do. Nesbit is another that many have wished to come here but again, we've hardly been gazumped or caught out, Hibs paid £250k for him...something you'd never see us doing. Same with the O'Hara deal, we offered money and he went to the club he was with last season who finished 3rd. It's no big deal. 

There are plenty of good players out there, especially just now and a lot less clubs snapping them up. I'm willing to see where we are at the start of August and again at the end of August. 

Don't think any support can criticize any club over transfer dealings this summer given the circumstances. This transfer window will be like no other.
I personally think it is entirely outrageous that Hibs can pay £250k for a player yet asking their staff to take paycuts.Moreover they are surely contravening Furlough rules time for the Govt to act here.As for Saints I definitely want to see more additions to the squad soon in preparation for the new season and not be scurrying around at the last minute.

I personally think it is entirely outrageous that Hibs can pay £250k for a player yet asking their staff to take paycuts.Moreover they are surely contravening Furlough rules time for the Govt to act here.As for Saints I definitely want to see more additions to the squad soon in preparation for the new season and not be scurrying around at the last minute.
What furlough regs are they breaking by taking on a new employee which is basically what a signing amounts too. Agree re paying fees while asking others to take cuts but that's their prerogative

1 hour ago, Mid Calder Saint said:
1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:
Don't think any support can criticize any club over transfer dealings this summer given the circumstances. This transfer window will be like no other.

I understand the sentiment in your post. No legal rules broken. Shull has a point when he suggests that the approach football clubs take is less than ideal. Strange business. 

14 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:

It's not just you I am disappointed too. Okay some fair points that other clubs are not any better off, but we need every advantage we can gain. For once I'd hope we had more signings in early so that they can do pre-season as a squad together for a number of weeks.

Don't get me wrong - I've no doubt our management team had folk lined up or at least partially lined up. Trouble is when players and agents use us as a makeweight.

At this stage we are NOT waiting on 3 players - NO WAY - this squad needs a minimum of 5. Considering what 13 are away from last season's squad? I know JG's patter, smaller squad this year and we are looking for 3.... we've seem this previously with him.

We lost 4 of our back 5 from last season. So far we've replaced 2 of them - so that's 2 more defenders needed alone. AND there is no way we can go with 2 strikers and some young boys - we were hardly big scorers last season with 6 senior strikers by the end of the season.

FB, CB, and 2 strikers very much needed and soon please.

17 hours ago, Meiksyboy said:

We do tend to do better in January than July/August. 

We now have a manager that seems to know what he is doing, where in previous July/August we had the likes of Craig, Rae and Stubbs signing shite from all over the country  :thumbsdown

When was the last time you were REALLY impressed during a transfer window?

For me it was when we signed Gary Teale.  I recall receiving a thing called a text message on my mobile telephone from a fellow Buddie.  Now as a rule I do not tend to receive many text messages so I was surprised when my phone did this "beep beep" sound along with a little shoogle.  So I removed my mobile telephone from my lower right jerkin pocket and read the happy, happy news that a player of real quality and standing within the game had signed for my beloved team. I also had a similar, although less surprised moment, when Thommo of the hawk signed for us.  Anyway I recall the real deep felt joy that day when I learned that my wee club had signed Gary Teale. 

Now, we have to be honest.  Some will slap the happy tambourine whenever we sign a new player and proclaim things like "great piece of business", but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of signings our club make our largely unheard of by the common Buddie prior to the news of the "great signing" appearing on the twitters.  Richard Tait was a name I vaguely recognised as was Jak Alnwick.  Guys like McGrath, Morias, Obika and Sheron  could well turn out to be more super that a can of strong Tennant's (Obika already has) but you don't get that child like excitement when learning the news that a sought after Scottish internationally recognised footballing craftsmen has chosen your club over the rest. 

What a signing Gary Teale turned out to be.  The sight of Thommo laying the ball off, Teale picking it up and cutting in from the right as he bore down on a certain (now championship) teams goalkeep, the excitement building as the Teale meister shyed away from personal glory but unselfishly squared the ball to yon Esmael Goncalves and the relief/joy/hope as the ball caused a bulbous swell in the back off the net to bring us of the canvas and right back into a cup final.  A cup final that we would go onto win, due in no small measure to the quality of the Gary Teale (and his team mates).  I could of course expand and discuss the Teale meister's huge contribution in the semi final win over the Sellick, I could but I won't as I feel the point has been made, the point has been made indeed.

The work of Brian Caldwell, who made the deal possible then made it happen.

When was the last time you were REALLY impressed during a transfer window?

For me it was when we signed Gary Teale.  I recall receiving a thing called a text message on my mobile telephone from a fellow Buddie.  Now as a rule I do not tend to receive many text messages so I was surprised when my phone did this "beep beep" sound along with a little shoogle.  So I removed my mobile telephone from my lower right jerkin pocket and read the happy, happy news that a player of real quality and standing within the game had signed for my beloved team. I also had a similar, although less surprised moment, when Thommo of the hawk signed for us.  Anyway I recall the real deep felt joy that day when I learned that my wee club had signed Gary Teale. 

Now, we have to be honest.  Some will slap the happy tambourine whenever we sign a new player and proclaim things like "great piece of business", but the fact is that the overwhelming majority of signings our club make our largely unheard of by the common Buddie prior to the news of the "great signing" appearing on the twitters.  Richard Tait was a name I vaguely recognised as was Jak Alnwick.  Guys like McGrath, Morias, Obika and Sheron  could well turn out to be more super that a can of strong Tennant's (Obika already has) but you don't get that child like excitement when learning the news that a sought after Scottish internationally recognised footballing craftsmen has chosen your club over the rest. 

What a signing Gary Teale turned out to be.  The sight of Thommo laying the ball off, Teale picking it up and cutting in from the right as he bore down on a certain (now championship) teams goalkeep, the excitement building as the Teale meister shyed away from personal glory but unselfishly squared the ball to yon Esmael Goncalves and the relief/joy/hope as the ball caused a bulbous swell in the back off the net to bring us of the canvas and right back into a cup final.  A cup final that we would go onto win, due in no small measure to the quality of the Gary Teale (and his team mates).  I could of course expand and discuss the Teale meister's huge contribution in the semi final win over the Sellick, I could but I won't as I feel the point has been made, the point has been made indeed.