Blue Bigots v Saints

FTOF

Think the disappointing thing about today’s performance was that we didn’t really compete. Consistently gave the ball away cheaply and stood off Rangers all day. To be honest we got off lightly with a 3-0 as could easily have been 5 or 6.

Not looking forward to Wednesday as it will be more of the same no doubt 🥺

After that miserable first half , we looked a lot better at the start of the 2nd. I thought at that time that JG might have taken a chance and replaced McGrath and Sheron with McAllister and the Icelandic lad. Game was gone once the second went in. With big Jon wasted playing one up in these games , we have to start giving ourselves a chance !

6 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Obika is a waste regardless of where he plays. Way below the standard required at this level.  Very weak in a tackle and lacks any kind of pace. Need a replacement urgently.

Nonsense. 

The one positive to draw from today’s game is that we have found ourselves a very competent Goalkeeper in Alnwick. A number of fine stops and his handling was excellent. Strikes a very good clean ball and is very sharp of his line. Also not scared to punch the ball when required. At the end of the day nobody would compare to Vaclac but I am certainly not worried with Alnwick as my last line of defence. Hands down (no pun intended) our MOM this Afternoon.

As good as it is to see Saints players strictly observing social distancing, I'm not sure that during an actual match is necessary.

That performance yesterday was so gutless that I'm reduced to making crap jokes like that as a coping mechanism.

Maybe on Wednesday we can try showing up?

Interesting to listen to Tommy Wright on Sportsound podcast last Fiday.  When talking about St Mrren going to Ibrox, he was asked about how difficult it is to go to the ugly sisters.  He explained very clearly that the difficult part is not defending against the Old Firm, most teams can get men behind the ball.  the most important aspect is when you do get the ball, do not give it back to them easily, try to hold it, take the steam out of the game.  As I sat and watched the game, i could just hear his words coming back to haunt us!  Hot potato fotball, In most cases 2 passes and Rangers had the ball back.

Jim needs to get that part fixed.

Not fair to comment on Obika, any worldclass striker would have been isolated on Sunday.

Sadly might be more of the same on Wednesday.

I think st mirren have just been really unlucky to get both rangers and celtic at the beginning of the season one after the other. I don't expect any points from these games and to keep goal difference down important. It would have been better to see us have a go but hopefully we came away with no injuries hense the reason mc  allister not used as injury prone. Unfortunately bad day for celtic yesterday I expect they will come out o  Wednesday with something to prove and it will be a hard game to watch 

Have we calmed down yet? :spud5

Obvs yesterday was a failure as the general opinion from people who've seen all or part of the game universally agree - I couldn't bring myself to watch the highlights. :bag

Let's hope the club have a drawing board. 📉

Personally I was downstairs making a cup of coffee at the first goal and was doing something else for the other two so I'm gonna call it a 0-0 draw! :)

Edited by Bud the Baker

Well I am in that age bracket of having great memories of winning at the likes of Ibrox and Celtic Park now I fully appreciate all the talk of budgets etc but for heaven's sake we are a full time top league side and the performance yesterday was truly awful.It can't be dressed up in any other way when we won possession on many occasions we just made silly errors and gave the ball back to Rangers.We were caught in possession on many occasions and that made it easy for the opposition.I don't buy this thought from Jim that you can just take nothing from the Old Firm games for me then what's the point in turning up moreover you are not instilling any confidence in the players.Big. Issue at present is the squad is way too thin and I want to hear from our Chairman soon as the usual updates appear to have gone missing,.

After that miserable first half , we looked a lot better at the start of the 2nd. I thought at that time that JG might have taken a chance and replaced McGrath and Sheron with McAllister and the Icelandic lad. Game was gone once the second went in. With big Jon wasted playing one up in these games , we have to start giving ourselves a chance !

11 hours ago, billyg said:

Do you think there is any correlation between us opening up at the start of the second half and then conceding further goals?

My issue isn’t with how we approach these games, it’s with the complete and utter inefficiency we display when those rare occasions to break come along. The run by Durmus in the first half was a prime example. You wouldn’t call it a chance. You’d call it a chance of a chance. We very very rarely convert those into actual chances, never mind goals.

Until we can master the basics of ball control and clinical decision making, we will never stand a chance in these matches. 

10 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Do you think there is any correlation between us opening up at the start of the second half and then conceding further goals?

My issue isn’t with how we approach these games, it’s with the complete and utter inefficiency we display when those rare occasions to break come along. The run by Durmus in the first half was a prime example. You wouldn’t call it a chance. You’d call it a chance of a chance. We very very rarely convert those into actual chances, never mind goals.

Until we can master the basics of ball control and clinical decision making, we will never stand a chance in these matches. 

I think there is a growing level of dissatisfaction amongst our fans  with our "we expect nothing- park the bus" approach to the Rangers and Celtic  games. The first half was absolutely miserable to watch. Rangers were playing football and we were not.

Personally, I would rather we played with more ambition and purpose. Bring back a bit of the Danny Lennon attitude and play our style of football. If 3 -0 becomes 4-0 so be it  at least we would show some balls.

Edited by magnus

The problem for me was psychological. The players looked terrified for whatever reason. No-one wanted the ball except McGrath who had some composure but little support. Bad decisions, shocking passing, being caught in possession and ball watching were the order of the day. I think Jim has to take some responsibility for the first half attitude in particular. The game plan looked like defend in depth in the first half then open up a bit in the second half if there wasn't much in the game. But the backs to the wall and blooter the ball anywhere does little to install confidence. How about next time we try a keep possession tactic?

1 hour ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

And your counter argument is what, exactly ?

I do not need a counter argument you claim Obika is a waste of space i await your evidence of this in my opinion he is a good striker and has shown with service he will deliver show me your proof to the contrary you made the statement so back it up. 

Have to agree with your appraisal Sonny I would just add that we are a full time top league outfit not a League 2 part time side which is the way JG set us up I truly get all the budget stuff but surely it is the Manager's job to instill confidence and belief in his players then if not what the hell is the point in turning up.

The problem for me was psychological. The players looked terrified for whatever reason. No-one wanted the ball except McGrath who had some composure but little support. Bad decisions, shocking passing, being caught in possession and ball watching were the order of the day. I think Jim has to take some responsibility for the first half attitude in particular. The game plan looked like defend in depth in the first half then open up a bit in the second half if there wasn't much in the game. But the backs to the wall and blooter the ball anywhere does little to install confidence. How about next time we try a keep possession tactic?

1 hour ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

I do not need a counter argument you claim Obika is a waste of space i await your evidence of this in my opinion he is a good striker and has shown with service he will deliver show me your proof to the contrary you made the statement so back it up. 

It’s nothing personal, he is not good enough at this standard of football. I’ve already said, easily dispossessed, rather weak, lacks fighting spirit and although has scored a few goals(mostly sitters) far too deliberate when offered a goal scoring chance. My evidence is........I’ve seen him play.

4 hours ago, Bud the Baker said:

Have we calmed down yet? :spud5

Obvs yesterday was a failure as the general opinion from people who've seen all or part of the game universally agree - I couldn't bring myself to watch the highlights. :bag

Let's hope the club have a drawing board. 📉

Personally I was downstairs making a cup of coffee at the first goal and was doing something else for the other two so I'm gonna call it a 0-0 draw! :)

I haven't..  Jim's tactics in these games are really depressing me I turned off after 45 mins. What's the point in playing Obika up front himself it just doesn't work the defense doesn't get a minutes rest. Be as well to play without a forward. change tact it's not working and would get football stopped.. let the defense and midfield do there job and give them someone to pass too.. it would also stop Rangers having 9 men in our box.. I dont see any other team employing these tactics if that's what you call them.. and ffs sign a front player 

10 minutes ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

It’s nothing personal, he is not good enough at this standard of football. I’ve already said, easily dispossessed, rather weak, lacks fighting spirit and although has scored a few goals(mostly sitters) far too deliberate when offered a goal scoring chance. My evidence is........I’ve seen him play.

I too have seen Obika play and its irrelevant that he has scored "sitters" a goal is a goal and you need to be in the right place at the right time to put them away. My personal opinion is he needs a foil to bring out the best in him he is never going to do it on his own thats not his game. I would love to know who we could bring in that will do any better on our budget and resources in your opinion. I think we need other options but will need to bide our time like any club at our level.