Blue Bigots v Saints

FTOF

1 hour ago, northstbuddie said:

Jim was quoted last week as acknowledging that his tactics against the better teams were perhaps too negative and constrained last season .

Old habits die hard apparently.

A more attacking formation yesterday wouldn't have mattered if the players can't do the basics. 

Maybe the lack of preseason games has left the squad a little rusty.

It has been said, that we didn't foresee a victory yesterday and no doubt one on Wednesday either but certainly, the lack of basic skills does send shivers of pessimism of fighting against relegation once again.  For the last few years we've all had this conversation before and here we are again. 

Jim being a defender, as a player, has concentrated on defence given the players he's signed but there is a lack of forwards which hopefully can be resolved before the transfer window closes and I'm sure he will bring someone in.  With regard to the 'missing' mid-field, we await the recovery of Flynn and Magennis who I'm sure will improve matters.  

Whilst the victory over Livingston was a relief, there were long periods of us being pinned into our own box.  Nevertheless, it was a success but the forthcoming game against Hamilton may prove to be pivotal on how and if we have progressed since last season. 

23 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

One other thing about yesterday. Sam Foley, who I regard highly as a player, looked like a little boy lost for most of the game, and was well off the pace. Was he carrying an injury?

With our midfield sitting so deep he got caught looking forward, have to say I know keep it tight but there was no clear Plan A in evidence. Remember Accies won there

2 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

Nonsense. It has little to do with the budget. Its about how hard you work at training and during the game, and how well motivated you are.

That performance was embarrassing and shouldn't be excused because the other team are paid better. 

It was embarrassing and I wasn't trying to excuse it.  But I believe that there is a direct link between budget and where you finish in the league. The very rare exception will be when a particular team under or overperforms. 

Edited by magnus

Few points I noticed yesterday

Rangers were very good, played the Liverpool style high press and we didn't know how to counter it

Sheron was unconvincing

Foley not his usual self

McGrath was our best player

Alnwick is impressive

Hopefully learn from it and give a better account of ourselves against Celtic

7 hours ago, paisleysaint1973 said:

I do not need a counter argument you claim Obika is a waste of space i await your evidence of this in my opinion he is a good striker and has shown with service he will deliver show me your proof to the contrary you made the statement so back it up. 

He's certainly a waste of a jersey if we're playing one up front. The lad needs a foil. That's one reason why Jakubiak was being lauded by some on here. Morias isn't a clever enough footballer to play alongside him even if JG had been brave enough. It's frustrating to watch the way we run scared in these games. I say watch but I was fortunate enough NOT to have seen the whole game. I'm relying on a mixture of stats, highlights??? and anecdotal evidence to make the judgement on how we set up. I hope we don't repeat this on Wednesday as I might be able to watch.

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

Few points I noticed yesterday

Rangers were very good, played the Liverpool style high press and we didn't know how to counter it

Sheron was unconvincing

Foley not his usual self

McGrath was our best player

Alnwick is impressive

Hopefully learn from it and give a better account of ourselves against Celtic

In fairness you are correct about how good Rangers were.

They were lightning quick, very aggressive and were finding space all over the pitch.

Our defence was being pulled all over the place.

That could have been a much worse scoreline.

5 minutes ago, delpierro said:
7 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
They were lightning quick, very aggressive and were finding space all over the pitch.

Pish.

Congratulations on managing to type that considered response with what was clearly your knuckles.

Just saw the goals dreadful defending all 3

Negative set up, no belief in the team from the manager

Beaten as soon as the coach pulls up at Ibrox

A wee team playing at a big stadium instead of a full time team from the same league

Sevco didn't need to be good as we gifted them the ball and turned the game into a training excerise

Not good enough as we can't keep writing off 18 points a season

The only good thing it highlights the need for more forward thinking players in the squad

Never mind the gruesome twosome you going have problems against any team if you can't keep the ball for any length of time

5 hours ago, magnus said:

It was embarrassing and I wasn't trying to excuse it.  But I believe that there is a direct link between budget and where you finish in the league. The very rare exception will be when a particular team under or overperforms. 

The only real excuse is Rangers have played a lot more games than us and much more match fit,  the same can be said of Celtic unfortunately 

57 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Defo. As much as we hate to admit it, they have some elite level players. We don’t. It shows unless you get your tactics spot on (which Goodwin didn’t)

Just saw the goals dreadful defending all 3
Negative set up, no belief in the team from the manager
Beaten as soon as the coach pulls up at Ibrox
A wee team playing at a big stadium instead of a full time team from the same league
Sevco didn't need to be good as we gifted them the ball and turned the game into a training excerise
Not good enough as we can't keep writing off 18 points a season
The only good thing it highlights the need for more forward thinking players in the squad
Never mind the gruesome twosome you going have problems against any team if you can't keep the ball for any length of time
Exactly, yet we've pigmy brains posting that Rangers were impressive.

4 hours ago, delpierro said:
5 hours ago, oaksoft said:
Congratulations on managing to type that considered response with what was clearly your knuckles.

Mare pish.

I know you're trying to say words but honestly all I am hearing is a loud screeching sound.

Say after me....Rangers.....played....very well....on....Sunday.

Edited by oaksoft

You know what much as I admire Jim I think the time is ripe for him to go on a Management Motivational Course his comments today in the press absolutely astound me stating that as a player he hated playing the Old Firm at their place.Surely you have to talk up your players giving them belief especially as the players are in a top league pro side for a reason.If you continually make wrong decisions and bad passes you will always suffer.

Totally agree.
it’s not as if they are a great team. Compare it to the Oldco team that we beat 1-0 in the Mad Monk game in 1989.
There team that day was packed with international players including Mo Jo who was making his Rangers debut.
http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1989&GameID=198908120

6 hours ago, Mid Calder Saint said:

You know what much as I admire Jim I think the time is ripe for him to go on a Management Motivational Course his comments today in the press absolutely astound me stating that as a player he hated playing the Old Firm at their place.Surely you have to talk up your players giving them belief especially as the players are in a top league pro side for a reason.If you continually make wrong decisions and bad passes you will always suffer.

Get Jim to Google "ways to deal with an inferiority complex"

Kilmarnock didn't think that way against Celtic on Sunday

On 8/11/2020 at 5:32 PM, Doakes said:

Get Jim to Google "ways to deal with an inferiority complex"

Kilmarnock didn't think that way against Celtic on Sunday

True but look at them so far tonight at Ross C.

No point taking something from Celtic and then buggering up against County.

Some start County are having BTW.

I wonder if St Johnstone fans will have the same level of meltdown after tonight’s result as a section of some of our did.

I doubt it. These kind of results are simply a regular feature of life in the Premiership for clubs like ours. Always have been always will be.