St Mirren v Livingston 1st Aug 2020

2 minutes ago, pod said:

That's not including the one's that keep getting stopped by the police driving around in their fancy cars. :rolleyes:

You have a point pod. Not a great one, but you have a point. Us whites have our criminal elements too though. All in all I prefer your thought that it would be better to be a Pro Footballer or a Formula 1 driver. Wait. Doesn't a black man drive around in one of those. Stop and search immediately. 

10 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

. Doesn't a black man drive around in one of those. Stop and search immediately. 

Don't young white guy's driving around in fancy cars get stopped by police.  Happens regularly.  Speeding, noisy exhausts, blaring music, drunk driving. 

9 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

You have a point pod. Not a great one, but you have a point. Us whites have our criminal elements too though. All in all I prefer your thought that it would be better to be a Pro Footballer or a Formula 1 driver. Wait. Doesn't a black man drive around in one of those. Stop and search immediately. 

I think pod is alluding to the two top athletes stopped in a top car, just cos they woz black.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/06/bianca-williams-athlete-stopped-by-met-police-being-black-is-a-crime

11 minutes ago, antrin said:

I think pod is alluding to the two top athletes stopped in a top car, just cos they woz black.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/06/bianca-williams-athlete-stopped-by-met-police-being-black-is-a-crime

Your making assumptions. No way near.

Was more meaning by their own endeavour and  hard work, they're are plenty of black people out there who have done alright for themselves and good luck to them.

7 minutes ago, pod said:

Your making assumptions. No way near.

Was more meaning by their own endeavour and  hard work, they're are plenty of black people out there who have done alright for themselves and good luck to them.

Like Mr Hamilton. No one seems capable of going fast enough to stop him winning. Give the police faster cars, I say. Good luck to all who make something of their lives. 

Stats do seem to support more stop and search where the colour of a person's skin is black. Just saying. Athletes or not. 

13 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Like Mr Hamilton. No one seems capable of going fast enough to stop him winning. Give the police faster cars, I say. Good luck to all who make something of their lives. 

Stats do seem to support more stop and search where the colour of a person's skin is black. Just saying. Athletes or not. 

Stats are probably based on who complains the most. :wink: 

Some take it as norm. Others think they're been picked on.

Edited by pod

2 hours ago, antrin said:

No blacks do not have equality in the US, they greedily hog cells in prisons far in excess of their population proportion.  5 times more in most States and in many 10 times more than they should.  Poor whites are outnumbered in prison.

https://www.sentencingproject.org/publications/color-of-justice-racial-and-ethnic-disparity-in-state-prisons/

Is your point here that blacks are being wrongly imprisoned or that black criminals are being disproportionately caught?

If the players feel like they need to take a knee then that’s entirely up to them, I won’t lose any sleep over it. So many different stories coming out about the BLM movement but by taking a knee I’m pretty sure its not about supporting a political movement it’s about sending a message. That’s the bigger picture. But as I’ve already said, it makes no difference to me If they do or don’t.

5 hours ago, antrin said:

No blacks do not have equality in the US, they greedily hog cells in prisons far in excess of their population proportion.  5 times more in most States and in many 10 times more than they should.  Poor whites are outnumbered in prison.

3 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Is your point here that blacks are being wrongly imprisoned or that black criminals are being disproportionately caught?

No, but the white boys are on to a humping. :booty

7 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Oh dear. You miss the point., not me. Do all lives matter equally? The answer is a resounding yes. But.. Us whiteys have had it easy. Not so the black population of the world. That's the point that of my argument and I think the point of the black lives matter campaign.

No I don't. The very fact you go on to agree with me about all lives proves you previously, and subsequently typed any old sh!te without actually understanding the significance of the slogan or my reluctance to openly accept it while, at the same time, spouting more crap and generalisations. 

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

No I don't. The very fact you go on to agree with me about all lives proves you previously, and subsequently typed any old sh!te without actually understanding the significance of the slogan or my reluctance to openly accept it while, at the same time, spouting more crap and generalisations. 

Not at all. More like your own  closeminded approach to the issue. I may be wrong, it happens, but I have the feeling that you don't have much experience of this issue

5 hours ago, oaksoft said:

That's an unworthily trivial refusal to confront the reality of the situation.

You must be aware that it is accepted that almost 10% of blacks imprisoned in the US are wrongful imprisonments.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Just realised this is the Livi match day thread. :lol:

Any chance you could take the BLM stuff over to the proper thread guys?

It's a response to the upcoming match.

Will players take the knee?

From my pov, they shoudn't.

It IS only fitba - it won't change the sombre reality blacks face daily.

However if my black team mates would appreciate the support from me at a time like this.  As a player, I would take the knee.

14 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

Not at all. More like your own  closeminded approach to the issue. I may be wrong, it happens, but I have the feeling that you don't have much experience of this issue

My last involvement with you as, contrary to your allegations, it's you who has been unwilling to accept anything other than your ill-informed, narrow minded blinkered approach to a topic which affects so many different peoples of the world. Content to assume by following the one track offensive you will seem open minded and intellectual. Newsflash!!! I have probably visited more countries with dubious backgrounds on race relationships than yourself Walter. And not once did I see the need to pretend to be invited to a fictitious ambassador's soiree.

5 minutes ago, antrin said:

That's an unworthily trivial refusal to confront the reality of the situation.

You must be aware that it is accepted that almost 10% of blacks imprisoned in the US are wrongful imprisonments.

I was just asking you a question. You seem quite clued up and this isn't an area I know much about.

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

My last involvement with you as, contrary to your allegations, it's you who has been unwilling to accept anything other than your ill-informed, narrow minded blinkered approach to a topic which affects so many different peoples of the world. Content to assume by following the one track offensive you will seem open minded and intellectual. Newsflash!!! I have probably visited more countries with dubious backgrounds on race relationships than yourself Walter. And not once did I see the need to pretend to be invited to a fictitious ambassador's soiree.

Nor did I

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I was just asking you a question. You seem quite clued up and this isn't an area I know much about.

Fairy Nuff...

There've been programmes on tv and radio 4 addressing the subject.  Lots of stuff in "serious newspapers".

I find the concept of wrongful punishment appalling so maybe I take more interest in such than most people.

Not long ago, I read a ripping yarn (ok about 350pp) of a paperback by John Grisham

The Guardians 

Powerful pacey stuff after a measured introduction and - apart from being thrilling (and sometimes gruesomely scary) - he builds powerful fact after fact detailing just how much the US criminal Justice System is weighted against one sector of society.  The Blacks.

(Native Americans, Mexican and other immigrants are also unfairly persecuted.)

My comment that you queried was perhaps poorly phrased.  It's impossible to be subtly ironic in anger..

US (land of the free) has the highest prison population on earth.  It is run as an industry with the purpose being value for money rather than rehabilitation.

People are put in the cheapest boxes possible, in the cheapest locations with least building controls, under the control of workers hired as cheaply as possible. ($12 an hour for minimally trained, disinterested staff).

And they can be forgotten about.

(Our government has been trying to do similar throughout the penal system.   The catastrophic fall-out from the Tories privatising (and failing to replace) the Probation Service has recently crept into the public domain.)

"You seem quite clued up " :)

Even if it wasn't meant, cut back on the flattery. It makes me (even more) verbose.

And not once did I see the need to pretend to be invited to a fictitious ambassador's soiree.

Nor did I

Au contraire

"Although I didn't meet the British Ambassador to South Africa at the embassy. 
Met her over dinner at a nice hotel in Umhlanga Rocks in Kwa Zulu Natal called the Oyster Box."

There has never been a female Ambassador to South Africa. [emoji23]

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Au contraire

Met her over dinner at a nice hotel in Umhlanga Rocks in Kwa Zulu Natal called the Oyster Box."

There has never been a female Ambassador to South Africa. emoji23.png

Keep wasting your time. 

Fine by me. 

32 minutes ago, antrin said:

Fairy Nuff...

There've been programmes on tv and radio 4 addressing the subject.  Lots of stuff in "serious newspapers".

I find the concept of wrongful punishment appalling so maybe I take more interest in such than most people.

Not long ago, I read a ripping yarn (ok about 350pp) of a paperback by John Grisham

The Guardians 

Powerful pacey stuff after a measured introduction and - apart from being thrilling (and sometimes gruesomely scary) - he builds powerful fact after fact detailing just how much the US criminal Justice System is weighted against one sector of society.  The Blacks.

(Native Americans, Mexican and other immigrants are also unfairly persecuted.)

My comment that you queried was perhaps poorly phrased.  It's impossible to be subtly ironic in anger..

US (land of the free) has the highest prison population on earth.  It is run as an industry with the purpose being value for money rather than rehabilitation.

People are put in the cheapest boxes possible, in the cheapest locations with least building controls, under the control of workers hired as cheaply as possible. ($12 an hour for minimally trained, disinterested staff).

And they can be forgotten about.

(Our government has been trying to do similar throughout the penal system.   The catastrophic fall-out from the Tories privatising (and failing to replace) the Probation Service has recently crept into the public domain.)

"You seem quite clued up " :)

Even if it wasn't meant, cut back on the flattery. It makes me (even more) verbose.

Yeah I noticed that. 🤣

You won't get any disagreement from me regarding false imprisonment.

As for genuine criminals though, I don't care about the welfare of any of them. I'd rather we put them on an island somewhere and let the rest of us get on with our lives.

11 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Au contraire

There has never been a female Ambassador to South Africa. emoji23.png

This is turning out to be a hell of a night for our silver haired bastard. 🤣