M&S To Vacate Paisley High St

HSS

4 hours ago, Fricky-Troll said:

The shameful and worst thing is, ‘we’ the people have said for umpteen years , the parking and one way which isn’t necessary in our town has played a very big part in putting people off visiting the town centre.

Yes, Braehead, Silverburn etc ALL the more reason to take the hit on free parking & allow traffic through the town again,

The council have been awful for years, but hey , keep voting them in & nothing changes

These are the reasons, along with online shopping, for the state of the town centre.

Fuck all to do with parking, one way system etc.

Sadly it's the way of things for the past couple of decades.

Being a 15 minute train journey away from Glasgow doesn't help either.

4 hours ago, pod said:

It was either that or risking your kids health.

But has really nothing to do with anything you state.

THIS is a list of the stores which have closed and which might shut in the future:

Closed stores:

Andover
Basildon
Bayswater
Birkenhead
Bournemouth
Bridlington

Clacton
Covent Garden
Crewe
Darlington
Dover
Durham
Falkirk
Fareham
Fforestfach
Fleetwood Outlet
Greenock
Keighley
New Mersey Speke Shopping Park
Newmarket
Newry
Northampton
Portsmouth
Putney
Redditch
Slough
Stockport
Walsall
Warrington
Wokingham

Stores due to close:
East Kilbride
Edgware Broadwalk
Falmouth
Holloway Road
Kirkcaldy
Llandudno
St Helens
Wigan

Stores proposed for closure today:
Ashford
Barrow
Bedford
Boston
Buxton
Cwmbran
Deal
Felixstowe
Huddersfield
Hull
Junction One Antrim Outlet
Luton Arndale
Newark
Northwich
Rotherham
Sutton Coldfield
Weston Super Mare

Duh Duh Duh

8 hours ago, TPAFKATS said:

Sorry to hear this, hope all the staff get relocated where they want.

Not sure parking us such a big issue for shoppers in Paisley. Isn't it still free at weekends and there was a trial of free parking all week round recently.

If you are going yo go to silver urn or brae head I stead of Marks in Paisley, it'll cost more in petrol than parking.

That goes down as one of the stupidest posts ever, surely it depends where you live if you will pay more in petrol🤣

1 hour ago, Leatherface said:

That goes down as one of the stupidest posts ever, surely it depends where you live if you will pay more in petrol🤣

Sorry I can't apportion the stupidity, as you do...

Paisley parking, as TPAFKATS noted, is FREE.

If you're a Paisley Buddie, "a shopper in Paisley",  you surely MUST use more fuel to drive to the out of Paisley shops than local ones?

2 hours ago, antrin said:

If you're a Paisley Buddie, "a shopper in Paisley",  you surely MUST use more fuel to drive to the out of Paisley shops than local ones?

Really? 

Council car parks have some free parking at the weekends, NONE on weekdays.

There is a TEMPORARY free parking rule in place due to Covid, not likely to last much longer.

To assist key workers in carrying out their essential roles, parking charges in all council-run car parks in Renfrewshire and on-street parking spaces are suspended until further notice.

Off-street parking

• Charges apply Monday to Saturday.
  • Where marked (*), charges on a Saturday only apply from 2 September 2019 and are free until then.
  • Six car parks have an initial three hours free parking, after 10am, which are Orchard Street, Weighhouse Close, Hunter Street (upper and lower), Oakshaw and School Wynd.
  • Parking is free on a Sunday in all council-owned car parks

Car Parks

Location Car Park Long or Short Stay Tariff
Bridge Street Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
*Cross Street: NW Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
*Cross Street: SW Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
*Glen Lane Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
Hunter Street Short Stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.
After 10am, free for 3 hrs, 90p 4hrs, £1.80 5hrs and all day £2.30.
Hunter Street: Upper Long stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.
After 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs and all day £3.50.
*Lagoon Short Stay 90p 1 hr, £1.80 2 hrs, £2.30 3 hours, 5 hrs, £4.00, all day £5.50
*Lagoon Long Stay 90p 1 hr, 2 hrs £1.80 3 hr £2.30, all day £3.50
*Lonend: West Short Stay 90p 1 hr, £1.80 2 hrs, £2.30 3 hours, 5 hrs, £4.00, all day £5.50
Maxwell Street Long Stay  0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
*Moncrieff Street Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
New Sneddon Street Short Stay 90p 1 hr, £1.80 2 hrs, £2.30 3 hours, 5 hrs, £4.00, all day £5.50
Oakshaw Street Short Stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.
Orchard Street Short Stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.
*Saucel Street: West Long Stay 0.60p 2 hrs, £1.20 4 hrs, all day £2.40
School Wynd Short Stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.
*St James Street Short Stay 90p 1 hr, £1.80 2 hrs, £2.30 3 hours, 5 hrs, £4.00, all day £5.50
*Stow Street Long Stay 90p 1 hr, 2 hrs £1.80 3 hr £2.30, all day £3.50
Weighhouse Close Short Stay Before 10am, 90p 1hr, £1.80 2hrs, £2.30 3hrs, £4 5hrs, all day £5.50.

Edited by faraway saint

8 hours ago, FTOF said:

These are the reasons, along with online shopping, for the state of the town centre.

Fuck all to do with parking, one way system etc.

Sadly it's the way of things for the past couple of decades.

Being a 15 minute train journey away from Glasgow doesn't help either.

Indeed, more choice and convenient as they are easy to get to and seen as a wee day out.

We, in Arbroath, suffer from similar issues.

Locally there is more than a decent choice but people still prefer to travel to Dundee.

There are also some local practices that are a pain, closing for a whole day or half a day, traditional ideas that, IMO, have no place in modern shopping needs.

Wasn't Tuesday traditional a half day in Paisley many years ago? 

2 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Indeed, more choice and convenient as they are easy to get to and seen as a wee day out.

We, in Arbroath, suffer from similar issues.

Locally there is more than a decent choice but people still prefer to travel to Dundee.

There are also some local practices that are a pain, closing for a whole day or half a day, traditional ideas that, IMO, have no place in modern shopping needs.

Wasn't Tuesday traditional a half day in Paisley many years ago? 

Saturdays are the most common days for St Mirren to play their matches and there is free parking available around the ground. Thought you should know in case you ever think of attending a game. 

16 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

Closing the High Sr shop but taking the vacant unit on Renfrew Road beside The Range.

In other news, Taco Bell will open at The Phoenix in early August.

Good, we now have retail on the periphery of the town, Lidl, range, Morrison’s etc. This will allow the town centre to become an “old town” of sorts with restaurants,pubs, cinema? 
I hope they start converting commercial use buildings to residential. I have always imagined Paisley have an old town quarter with the modern facilities on the periphery, it might just happen. 

ps High street shopping is gone forever, it’s the internet , Braehead and silverburn that to blame (if blames the correct word, some may call it progress) 

28 minutes ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

Good, we now have retail on the periphery of the town, Lidl, range, Morrison’s etc. This will allow the town centre to become an “old town” of sorts with restaurants,pubs, cinema? 
I hope they start converting commercial use buildings to residential. I have always imagined Paisley have an old town quarter with the modern facilities on the periphery, it might just happen. 

ps High street shopping is gone forever, it’s the internet , Braehead and silverburn that to blame (if blames the correct word, some may call it progress) 

I like it. Change perhaps. We might get back to the pre-multiple stores dominating the high Street and reintroduce difference. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Cheers. I thought it was obvious.

16 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
7 hours ago, antrin said:

Cheers. I thought it was obvious.

Only it's not, as parking isn't free across the board.

Dumb & Dumber. 

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

I like it. Change perhaps. We might get back to the pre-multiple stores dominating the high Street and reintroduce difference. 

I think when the new museum complex is complete in 2022 it might regenerate the high street. I would like to see old stores like m&s used as office space or business units. They really need to invest in the west end however, well street , well meadow, don’t see why it can’t be a thriving student area, small artisan shops, cheese mongers.....right I have taken it to far. 

1 minute ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

I think when the new museum complex is complete in 2022 it might regenerate the high street. I would like to see old stores like m&s used as office space or business units. They really need to invest in the west end however, well street , well meadow, don’t see why it can’t be a thriving student area, small artisan shops, cheese mongers.....right I have taken it to far. 

Need to get rid of some the current residents, not sure getting asked for a loan of a few bob will attract money paying punters. :wink:

25 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Need to get rid of some the current residents, not sure getting asked for a loan of a few bob will attract money paying punters. :wink:

The same could be said of Dublin. The city centre is close to (walking distance) to some really impoverished areas. 

13 minutes ago, Yflab said:

I’ve written previously about the benefits of regeneration of the town centre with the focus being on encouraging residential developments to take advantage of the fantastic road, rail and air links that exist within a 1 mile radius of the town centre. I can’t think of another town in Scotland that have those transport links.

Absolutely. Since the lockdown started I have spent more time walking in Paisley centre, it’s got to have the most architectural significant buildings outside Glasgow and Edinburgh. We should be promoting the town as a historic visitor attraction. 

1 hour ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

They really need to invest in the west end however, well street , well meadow, don’t see why it can’t be a thriving student area, small artisan shops, cheese mongers.....right I have taken it to far. 

I don't see why not, look at the east end of the town, 2 new cafes and 2 new restaurants have opened up in the last year or so, new butchers shop, White Cart Co shop in the old Post Office.

1 hour ago, Yflab said:

I’ve written previously about the benefits of regeneration of the town centre with the focus being on encouraging residential developments to take advantage of the fantastic road, rail and air links that exist within a 1 mile radius of the town centre. I can’t think of another town in Scotland that have those transport links.

Agree. I have been working to set up a non profit organisation with town centre regeneration as its reason for being. A time of change which brings problems for some and opportunities for many.