Hopeless Tradesmen

faraway saint

Got new carpet fitted last week, the carpet bars were also fitted.

When I arrived home I was somewhat dismayed to find one of the screws was bent over and protruding about 1/8"

My wife informed me the "screws" were hammered into position, no screwdriver was used in the process.

I called the supplies the next morning, the nice lady guessed which one of the two guys who had attended it was who had left the bent screw and they would be back up to fix later.

That tells it's own tale.

The clown arrives, says he didn't think he left it like that :blink: removed the offending screw and hammered in another one.

Now, hammering in screws to the full depth rather defeats the purpose, a nail would be more suited.

When something goes wrong, like the screw bending, I would assume any tradesman would have removed the screw and replaced it. 

Anyhow, as these screws were hammered in and not as flush as I would like I tried to tighten them up, but that didn't work as they wouldn't bite.

So, I've removed the stupid small screws, deepened the countersunk hole and fixed nice new shiny longer screws. 

Tradesmen, aye, in name only. 

9 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

The clown arrives, says he didn't think he left it like that :blink: removed the offending screw and hammered in another one.

Were you there when he replaced the screw?

11 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

When I arrived home I was somewhat dismayed to find one of the screws was bent over and protruding about 1/8"

My wife informed me the "screws" were hammered into position, no screwdriver was used in the process.

I called the supplies the next morning, the nice lady guessed which one of the two guys who had attended it was who had left the bent screw and they would be back up to fix later.

Now, hammering in screws to the full depth rather defeats the purpose, a nail would be more suited.

When something goes wrong, like the screw bending, I would assume any tradesman would have removed the screw and replaced it. 

Anyhow, as these screws were hammered in and not as flush as I would like I tried to tighten them up, but that didn't work as they wouldn't bite.

So, I've removed the stupid small screws, deepened the countersunk hole and fixed nice new shiny longer screws. 

Carpet fitters don't have screwdrivers. Didn't you know that. :whistle      Hope your not tarring all tradesmen with the same brush. 

Just now, pod said:

Carpet fitters don't have screwdrivers. Didn't you know that. :whistle      Hope your not tarring all tradesmen with the same brush. 

Why do they have screws then? 

Is a screwdriver too difficult to use? :lol:

That's why I called the thread "Hopeless tradesmen", not "All Tradesmen are Hopeless". 

30 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Why do they have screws then? 

Is a screwdriver too difficult to use? :lol:

That's why I called the thread "Hopeless tradesmen", not "All Tradesmen are Hopeless". 

Come with the freshold bar. :wink:

2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Sounds like he was screwing around.   

Just now, faraway saint said:

We had wooden floors, lasted almost 10 years but needed complete refurb and I couldn't be arsed.

The bars apart, quite happy and so is the dog, doesn't slide when chasing his toys. 😂

Never mind the dog, spend more time on my arse than Danny Mullen

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

The rubber seal on the washing machine get's torn so I, trying to support local business's, call a small shop and they can get me a replacement seal for £25.

I have a look and the bolt holding the seal in place is awkward so I say the the nice lady can they fit the seal.

No problem be up tomorrow. (Today)

Guy arrives, 30 minutes later, job done.

He has a card machine, I inset card, look at the amount, £83...........................

Sorry? Aye, £58 "call out charge".................

I withdraw the card, tell him to speak to his boss as I am not paying £58 for 30 minutes work.

As he gets outside he says he'll be back to take the seal out...................:lol:

I politely informed him I doubt that will happen. 

A bill will be arriving which will not be paid.

Local business's, aye, support them. 

Your not just paying him for the 30 mins work, your also paying him for the time he takes to get to your place and back to the shop i expect. I actually thought £58 was ok. I had a plumber once trying to charge over £100 twice for a call out since he had to come back and replace the faulty part that he fitted. 

11 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

No, I'm not paying for him coming the whole 5 minutes to my house.

He HAS to do that to do the job.

He then goes to his next job, not back to the shop.

I understand that a business has costs, and I'm willing to pay £20 for 30 minutes work.

That will cover the tradesman's wages, cost of running the van and other business costs. 

Nice story about the plumber. 

Good luck if you get away with £20 for 30 mins  :lol:  There was likely VAT included in the £58.