Hopeless Tradesmen

faraway saint

55 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

No, I'm not paying for him coming the whole 5 minutes to my house.

He HAS to do that to do the job.

He then goes to his next job, not back to the shop.

I understand that a business has costs, and I'm willing to pay £20 for 30 minutes work.

That will cover the tradesman's wages, cost of running the van and other business costs. 

Nice story about the plumber. 

Pay the £25 and tell him to sing for his call out fee.I did this a few years ago and never heard any more about it.They're not going to take you to Court for 58 quid.

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

I understand that a business has costs, and I'm willing to pay £20 for 30 minutes work.

That will cover the tradesman's wages, cost of running the van and other business costs. 

When was the last time you opened your purse.

34 minutes ago, HSS said:

Pay the £25 and tell him to sing for his call out fee.I did this a few years ago and never heard any more about it.They're not going to take you to Court for 58 quid.

The shop could have took that and no need for fitter.

17 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

Do you think £58 is reasonable for 30 minutes? 

Call out charges should be abolished unless it’s outwith normal business hours.

Edited by HSS

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Call out charges should be abolished unless it’s outwith normal business hours.

He wasn't called out, its his labour cost. What they pay you for going a service, bit like a taxi driver.  

Its only free when you DIY.  Like when you don't want to pay for a taxi and drive yourself. 

That equates to £40 an hour.

For a small business that WOULD cover costs as I've stated.

I'm not just making these numbers up, I've run a larger business and these numbers would be sufficient.

£29 for half an hour, if he was a few minutes over that he would probably  charge you the full hour.  Which would be the going rate for a self employed tradesman, who has to pay his own tax and NI stamp.

When you work with a company, you would be lucky if you get half of what they charge to cover their overheads. 

4 hours ago, Tommy said:

Your not just paying him for the 30 mins work, your also paying him for the time he takes to get to your place and back to the shop i expect. I actually thought £58 was ok. I had a plumber once trying to charge over £100 twice for a call out since he had to come back and replace the faulty part that he fitted. 

£58 for a call out is absolutely taking the piss.

The company should have told him it was £83 and not £25. This is on them and they have nobody but themselves to blame.

The £25 SHOULD be getting paid though.

3 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

I'll wait and see what comes through the post.

As I've said, I'm all for supporting local business's but I'm not getting ripped off.

IF he done 10 jobs today at 30 minutes, giving him a couple of hours driving, that would be £580 BEFORE any profit on parts etc.

PS I've checked their website, NO mention anywhere about call out charges and I certainly wasn't told when I discussed this with the lady yesterday. 

That's none of your concern.

The only thing that matters is that they didn't tell you the full cost of the job although why it didn't occur to you to ask is beyond me.

2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

That equates to £40 an hour.

For a small business that WOULD cover costs as I've stated.

I'm not just making these numbers up, I've run a larger business and these numbers would be sufficient.

No you haven't. Being a shop floor manager is not "running a business". :lol:

Stop fluffing your pillows. :lol:

£58 for a call out is absolutely taking the piss.
The company should have told him it was £83 and not £25. This is on them and they have nobody but themselves to blame.
The £25 SHOULD be getting paid though.
It wasn't a call out.

37 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

I will gladly pay the £25 and what I consider reasonable for 30 minutes work.

You do, in another post, have a point that I could/should have asked.

The company should certainly have made it clear either when I called or when this clown turned up.

The £25:00 was, as far as you've explained, purely for the part. You SHOULD have asked how much for the fitting. It's your responsibility. You should do the decent thing and pay. Even if you think it's extortionate as it's you who asked for them to attend without asking how much.

29 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The £25:00 was, as far as you've explained, purely for the part. You SHOULD have asked how much for the fitting. It's your responsibility. You should do the decent thing and pay. Even if you think it's extortionate as it's you who asked for them to attend without asking how much.

Only a sheer idiot would have assumed the part could be fitted for free.

A worse idiot might have thought, it might not be fitted for free but I won't ask till after it's done. 

And only the most idiotic idiot would have come on here and tell people just how much of an idiot he had been.

Fartaway should just have stayed in his wank tank and posted it on there... quietly if he felt he really had to...

Edited by antrin

You, my friend, don't know what I've done in my career.

Certainly been bigger than selling womens panties that's your business. :lol:

It also certainly didn't involve the ability to understand an exponential curve or the ability to think ahead.

Imagine not asking if there was a labour charge....😅

You're making a fool of yourself again.

Hah! I’m not the object of derision in this thread!  :lol:

Where did I say I expected it to be fitted for free? 
My first sentence showed that you MAY not have been a complete idiot, the further sentences were cited to show you were actually WORSE than that.  I was condemning with understatement, in order to pile it on further.

You showing that you don’t even see that - is comedy Idiot gold.  

I pity you, a sad demise into the new forum fool. 
You keep trying and failing to pass that crown onto a procession of punters, whilst you proudly flaunt it in your own idiocy.    

I hope that helps?  :)

Edited by antrin

You do know business's have an obligation to inform you or have rates on their website........................oh wait, you don't or you wouldn't have posted this nonsense. 

I've already posted I could/should have asked, don't you read any posts before jumping in? 

I'll do as I see fit, thanks for the advice. 

No they don't. Every job may have a different fee depending on difficulty. They just wouldn't expect anyone was foolish enough to think the fitting would come free of charge or negotiated after the fact. I doubt you were being charged an hourly rate. I suspect you were being charged a flay fee. This tends to happen in the real world. The quicker he could do the job the better it would be for him and also for you as you get your washing machine back in working order and him out of your way quicker.

Edited by stlucifer

If I was you I would let your hilarious graph slip into oblivion, people's pants are still damp from that cracker.

You couldn't understand the point of that graph. That was on you.

My mistake was thinking you would be capable of understanding the raft of caveats I attached to it.

You're making an arse of yourself on this plumber thing.

Do the decent thing and pick up the phone, negotiate a price and pay the man and stop behaving like a Karen with balls.

And next time don't be so fecking stupid.

Honestly, what kind of spangle doesn't ask for a full quote from a tradesman?😅

I knew to do that when I was 17 for christ's sake.

Edited by oaksoft

Oh I, and everybody else, understood your graph.
It was the source of hilarity for fecking weeks.
You were the one who couldn't see the figures you produced were always going to be so far from the truth it was comedy gold.
Funny how much you've swivelled on the plumber thing, again, playing to the crowd.
I've already said I'll pay what I think is a fair price, are you l stupid?  
Grow a pair, admit your graph was utter pish and man up.......................oh, can I have 25 toilet rolls please? 

Oops. [emoji38]

You couldn't understand the point of that graph. That was on you.
My mistake was thinking you would be capable of understanding the raft of caveats I attached to it.
You're making an arse of yourself on this plumber thing.
Do the decent thing and pick up the phone, negotiate a price and pay the man and stop behaving like a Karen with balls.
And next time don't be so fecking stupid.
Honestly, what kind of spangle doesn't ask for a full quote from a tradesman?[emoji28]
I knew to do that when I was 17 for christ's sake.

Leave me out of it. :whistle