Paisley Improvements

Doakes

A textiles museum to show the towns history.  I know the museum is getting done up just now , but surely there should be a stand alone place showing the heritage of what the town was built on. 

18 minutes ago, munoz said:

Unfortunately its hidden away out with the town centre. 

It's not quite a tourist attraction. 

Uhmm...

I never knew of it till I read this... er... thread!  :o

Doesn't look that gripping, but I'd certainly pop in for a swatch

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

Uhmm...

I never knew of it till I read this... er... thread!  :o

Doesn't look that gripping, but I'd certainly pop in for a swatch

This has turned into a good yarn.

I'm on tenterhooks, as I wait to see how it twill progress.:rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, jaybee said:

I have always thought the monstrosity built over the river cart a real eyesore, I would describe it as a hooker amongst a crowd of genteel ladies..

Must be the only town - on a river - that's done absolutely nothing with the river. I'd love an area with some nice bars on the riverside 

Edited by Doakes

4 hours ago, Doakes said:

In this hypothetical thread, you, alone, have been given the chance to draw up a new plan for Paisley.

What would you bulldoze? What would you build? 

A Vision for Paisley town centre 2030 - Paisley FM

We have to decide what kind of town we want. Most other towns with a university are vibrant youthful towns with lots  of cafes ,bars ,bookstores, computer outlets but most of the funding ,if not all has gone to Hamilton. So we need to brand ourselves as a tourist area ,starting with bringing  the Abbey back to its former glory and building the visitor centre we heard about when we were pursuing culture city. We need a hotel in the centre of town ,the building across from the Watermill will do .Both these things will help tourism and then we can become a garden town where we replace concrete  with grass ,shrubs ,trees and add vertical planting to buildings. We need to think out the box because the High Street  is NEVER coming back .Oh and the murals ,let's at least have a theme running through  them and delete the poor ones asap

14 minutes ago, Doakes said:

Something like this :)

the nightlife at Clarke Quay riverside - Picture of Clarke Quay ...

Get rid of the Piazza and build a new riverside complex with bars and restaurants, other side would back onto County Square, easy access to Glasgow. Would be well used! 

If it was simply the river, undeveloped, there might be scope for something like this on a smaller scale.

However, you have to factor in the demolition of the Piazza, that would add on a significant cost to any re-development of the site.

1 hour ago, jaybee said:

I have always thought the monstrosity built over the river cart a real eyesore, I would describe it as a hooker amongst a crowd of genteel ladies..

Fairing better than the Paisley Centre. Should rip it down. Starting to fall down on it's own accord anyway. 

What I liked about lockdown was people using the local shops.The butcher,baker and candlestick maker were all getting a turn.Hopefully people will continue to support those local traders when we get back to “normal” 

The Observatory has been closed for a while, but looks to me like zero work has been carried out. With the museum closed, there’s literally nothing for tourists in the centre.

I’d look at somewhere like Forbes place, view of the Abbey and town hall and, potentially, nice buildings there. Some cafes, independent brewery, space to sit outside, etc.

for the High St, give space for independent shops and other venues to grow. The change in Dundee, for me, has been impressive. Some great bars and restaurants around and some people have taken it by the scruff of the neck. Independent brands like Hard Grind, Abandon Ship, etc have all flourished.

Paisley has improved from an event perspective, but so little done from a commerce perspective. Not got much faith in the council to do much about it...

easy to find, cheap, central parking.   Not just for Buddies, but for day-trippers, visitors of all shapes and sizes.

I stop with my wee tour bus in towns and villages that make it easy for me to do so.  Somewhere I can unload 16 punters who want a look at something nice, a cup of  tea and shops.                                      With convenient conveniences...

In Paisley, I used to park at the Watermill, show them the Hammills, wander over the glorious technicolour brig towards the Abbey.  After a walk/talk inside the Abbey, there was a nice wee cafe and gift shop.

A look at the Toon Hall, the nearby statues and up the High Street towards Coats Memorial, then back to the bus.   A small stop on a longer day, but it introduced people to Paisley and I directed several to stay there after my tour, as opposed to finding somewhere in Glasgow  before they flew out.

I'd also do a drive round town just for the glory of the history, architecture and riveting tales about me attempting to grow up....

3 hours ago, Doakes said:

Something like this :)

the nightlife at Clarke Quay riverside - Picture of Clarke Quay ...

Get rid of the Piazza and build a new riverside complex with bars and restaurants, other side would back onto County Square, easy access to Glasgow. Would be well used! 

Funny you should mention the river as an opportunity, I was walking past the Hammils the other day and saw a guy paddling under the bridge in a canoe! Pretty good idea to bring some people into the town centre. 

I would like to see the high street with some sort of covering and large wind breakers at the top, open it up to more bars and restuarants. Knock down both the Piazza and Paisley centre and start again with local businesses and parking. New cinema, new museum etc all nearby. Students using the pubs etc

I would look to bring the Phoenix shops and into the town, move the car retailers down abercorn street, move all the local industries to Phoenix.

You would then hopefully have local shops, pubs restaurants with parking in the town centre. Morison, Aldi B&M etc on the outskirts of the town centre. massive car dealership close to the town. your then close to other transport links.